STEP v2.2.9.2 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

Not sure if it's a bug or intentional but on the AOS page

https://wiki.step-project.com/Audio_Overhaul_for_Skyrim#Recommendations

If you are installing manual it says to install BOTH GDO and WAFR patches but then the FOMODO on the last patch kicks off a warning saying

'Patches for both Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade (WAF-R) -and- Guard Dialogue Overhaul (GDO) have been selected.

However, because the WAF-R patch already includes all fixes for GDO, the GDO patch is redundant and does NOT need to be installed.'

So bascially do we ignore this and install both patches or JUST the WAFR patch?

Thanks again!

Just install the WAF-R patch. I'll correct this for you manual installers.

Here's my contribution after about a dozen hours of testing.

- [STEP] Classic distant mountain flickering - perhaps fixed by future use of ENB [Video]

- [STEP] Kill scenes play too often and especially after unworthy enemies (rats, wolves...) - perhaps I'm gonna use Combat Drama Overhaul to fix this [Video]

- [STEP] Extremely low quality looking snow overlay texture everywhere, was present since the beginning of the STEP installation [Screenshot]

- [STEP] Sky colors are off during fog, drawing the mountains way whiter and brighter than the sky behind them [Screenshot]

- [STEP] Horizon bug, where the transition between ocean and sky is a blurry mass [Screenshot]

- [STEP] Sigrid in Riverwood carries a bucket that clips through her hands and body [Screenshot]

- [STEP] High grass is popping in and out when in 1st person and walking through it backwards/forwards - guess that can't be avoided?! [Video]

- [STEP] Sometimes loading screens don't show objects but instad black stripes crossing the steam, thought it was ENB related but it isn't - perhaps Lore Based Loading Screens? [Screenshot]

- [STEP] Sometimes very low quality grassy textures on nearby mountains, looks like a LOD texture that forgot to change to a normal one - DynDOLOD? [Screenshot]

- [STEP] Edges of cloud textures look very low quality - should be fixed by using CoT in the future [Screenshot]

- [STEP] Ranlof got clipping hands in the intro scene, when the game chooses long sleeved clothes for him [Screenshot]

- [STEP] LODish looking wall fragments behind Riften, origin unknown - according to the ID this could be a conflict involcing Cutting Room Floor? [Screenshot]

While the above were first noted when testing a pure STEP installation, the following ones were first found while already installing REGS so they could be connected to either STEP or REGS, I'm not sure.

- [REGS?] Found two Vigilants of Stendarr walking through the wilds that looked exactly like each other and had the same clothing - a NPC mod's fault? [Screenshot]

- [REGS?] Very rare but present texture clipping problems near roads [Screenshot]

- [REGS?] One CTD after creating a character, starting as property owner in Whiterun, immediately after leaving Breezehome - not replicable! [Video]

- [REGS?] One Infinite Loading Screen after 3 hours of gameplay, when trying to take a Better Fast Travel carriage from Riverwood to Whiterun - the smoke didn't show up, waited for 10 minutes [Screenshot]

Edited by elwaps

The snow texture used by STEP is in my eyes a white noise texture, not much better than vanilla. Try using another snow texture mod instead, Example1, Example2.

Are you running with DisableWrongSkyMath enabled, found under Sky section in enbseries.ini. It certainly looks like you do at least.

Cloud texture is caused by ENBSeries CloudsEdge settings found in enbseries.ini under Sky. Set them to 0.0 to remove that visual.

The grass texture issue is most likely caused by the game struggling to update from LOD to full detail, which is an engine limitation. Wall fragment image can also fall under this.

Edited by JawZ
  • +1 1

Thank you very much JawZ.

Especially for the snow thing, I just assumed that was a bug as I couldn't believe to see such a low quality texture after all these texture packs from STEP.

Now I'm undecided between Real Snow (which looks gorgeous but demands for Better Dynamic Snow, which seems to interfer with tons of mods, looking at the sheer number of compatibility patches available for BDS) and Fresh Fallen Snow (which doesn't look that good but seems to be as compatible as a mod can be)...

As for the cloud edges, the next thing I'm gonna install is Vividian ENB (including Vivid Groundfogs and Clouds) and CoT, so that problem should disappear by itself.

As for the LOD stuff, I was already afraid this would just happen "because Skyrim".

TechAngel, I know that many of the issues are somehow connected to the Skyrim engine and not directly related to STEP, I just copypasted everything I've noted during installation as I wasn't really sure and didn't want you to miss a bug (respectively miss a known solution to a bug).

If you're in for some Sherlock Holmes detective work however, feel free to click on the Benchmark link in my signature, there I've listed all bugs I've found so far, including weird ones from outdated REGS:woot:

Hello All!

I am running through the Step guide, and I have noticed something between the previous version 2.9.2.1 and this version 2.9.2.2 when starting the first ESM cleaning.

In the former version, cleaning the file never put the ESM into the Data directory after closing out of TES5Edit (there were two possible outcomes mentioned here). This required you to manually copy the original ESM back to the Data directory, which would contain all of the uncleaned records. When running LOOT to check everything, I would get warnings about the ESM and was asked to clean it... makes sense as I just put the original ESM back into the Data directory.

In the latter version, it is no longer mentioned that a file may be automatically put into Data anymore. I am assuming here that the previous paragraph always happened (it did for me at least, several times). However, you still end up with the same issue; LOOT does not see a cleaned ESM.

I have found that if you run TES5Edit outside of Mod Organizer, the ESM is properly cleaned and put into the Data directory as the former version indicated it would, with a smaller file size. When running LOOT, it indicated an all cleaned ESM.

So question here:

Should I just run TES5Edit inside of Mod Organizer and have an uncleaned ESM (this goes for all DLCs as well)? Or should I be running TES5Edit outside of Mod Organizer?

To be clear, I am running Mod Organizer with Windows UACs off completely and running as Admin (Windows 10).

-Alex

There are two separate issues at play here:

1. Where xEdit/MO place the edited ESM
  2. What does LOOT see

You can if you wish clean your ESMs with xEdit from outide of MO so long as you end up with cleaned versions in a mod that can be enabled in MO and the original in Data so Steam doesn't complain. Either/or, your choice. The behaviour of xEdit/MO is somewhat flaky for different users hence the differing outcomes.

As for LOOT not seeing them as cleaned. This indicates either an incorrect LOOT installation or the cleaned ESMs not being active in the VFS. LOOT should see exactly the same order of files as the game engine does when it is installed and run from MO.

Hello All!

I am running through the Step guide, and I have noticed something between the previous version 2.9.2.1 and this version 2.9.2.2 when starting the first ESM cleaning.

In the former version, cleaning the file never put the ESM into the Data directory after closing out of TES5Edit (there were two possible outcomes mentioned here). This required you to manually copy the original ESM back to the Data directory, which would contain all of the uncleaned records. When running LOOT to check everything, I would get warnings about the ESM and was asked to clean it... makes sense as I just put the original ESM back into the Data directory.

In the latter version, it is no longer mentioned that a file may be automatically put into Data anymore. I am assuming here that the previous paragraph always happened (it did for me at least, several times). However, you still end up with the same issue; LOOT does not see a cleaned ESM.

I have found that if you run TES5Edit outside of Mod Organizer, the ESM is properly cleaned and put into the Data directory as the former version indicated it would, with a smaller file size. When running LOOT, it indicated an all cleaned ESM.

So question here:

Should I just run TES5Edit inside of Mod Organizer and have an uncleaned ESM (this goes for all DLCs as well)? Or should I be running TES5Edit outside of Mod Organizer?

To be clear, I am running Mod Organizer with Windows UACs off completely and running as Admin (Windows 10).

-Alex

It looks like that got messed up in the guide update. I'll see if I can't fix it.

Edit: Fixed.

Edited by DoubleYou

There are two separate issues at play here:

1. Where xEdit/MO place the edited ESM
  2. What does LOOT see

You can if you wish clean your ESMs with xEdit from outide of MO so long as you end up with cleaned versions in a mod that can be enabled in MO and the original in Data so Steam doesn't complain. Either/or, your choice. The behaviour of xEdit/MO is somewhat flaky for different users hence the differing outcomes.

As for LOOT not seeing them as cleaned. This indicates either an incorrect LOOT installation or the cleaned ESMs not being active in the VFS. LOOT should see exactly the same order of files as the game engine does when it is installed and run from MO.

Okay. I see now.

LOOT was installed incorrectly the first time. Reinstalling it got it recognizing the cleaned ESMs, rather than the uncleaned ESMs.

Thanks for the quick response.  ::):

-Alex

Pooh, just realised I had these installed, haven't started my playthrough yet so will I delete these?

I have the STEP Extended Patch installed

AOS2_RealisticWaterTwo.esp

AOS2_WAF Patch.esp

AOS2_WetandCold Patch.esp

BetterQuestObjectives-DBForevertoMisc.esp

BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp

BetterQuestObjectvies-CRFPatch.esp

Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp

I also have AOS2_DSI.esp  but the Extended patch mentions AOS_DSI.esp  (minus the '1') so should I remove it too?

These might be really obvious but I gotta just make sure. Thanks again

I further investigated my funny weirdo head intro scene problem (see below):

2015-12-03_000025mjcq.jpg

I am using Alternate Start - Live another Life (which probably isn't connected to the bug, just saying that I'm using it). When I start a new game and directly choose the vanilla start from the Mara statue without doing the MCM settings of my mods before, I now always get the creepy head bug. However, when I DO set up my mods using the MCM menu before starting the vanilla ride, the bug is gone. Repeatably. Now I just need to find out which exact setting it is...

Auto Unequip Ammo - Activating the Follower Addon

Autosave Manager - Setting "Timed Save Frequency" to 5 minutes, setting "Manual Save Hotkey" to F5, activate "While Weapon Drawn" as save condition

Better Fast Travel - Selecting "Disable Fast Travel", activate Helgen as "Location" aswell as as "Destination"

Convenient Horses - Activating "Horse Follow", activating "Follower's Horses"

Dual Wield Parrying - Setting "Block Key" to mouse button 3

Immersive HUD - Activating everything under "Options", setting all transparencies to 50 (the latter was testend and has no effect on the bug)

Lanterns of Skyrim - Setting "Checking every" to 60 seconds, uncheck "Enable Lanterns along Roads"

Lock Overhaul - Choosing "Activate Lock Overhaul", activate "Lock Requirements" and "Smash Locks" and expand it to "One+Two Handers"

Minty Lightning - Activate "Hostile", set "Maximum Distance" to 5 cells

That's it. Any of you got any idea which of the settings could cause the weirdo bug I have when not touching the MCM?

Pooh, just realised I had these installed, haven't started my playthrough yet so will I delete these?

I have the STEP Extended Patch installed

BetterQuestObjectives-DBForevertoMisc.esp

BetterQuestObjectives-PaarDilemmaPatch.esp

BetterQuestObjectvies-CRFPatch.esp

Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp

These might be really obvious but I gotta just make sure. Thanks again

I also had these esp in my load order . So can you please be more specific , as too what esp should NOT be in your load order given the Step guide as it was per chance that I fell across this thread

You say the Extended patch , if  used so the esp's above are not needed ,YET there is the contemplation patch , so what does that mean if you use that patch ?

Confused over many issues with what esp's should be in the load order AND those esp's which are in a Mod installer THAT should not be in the load order , if your followed the entire step guide and have installed everything.

I have not done the DnyDOLOD bit at the end of the guide as it had never worked , clearly I not doing it right and once again , there was a thread I fell across , that mentioned something about using the back up files in DnyDOLOD, confused once again as there was no mention of this in the STEP guide

Nor was there any mention of merge.esp , which is mentioned in the STEP videos Or a more detail explanation of the Bash patch, what should not be checked when making it and what should be left unchecked after making it. AND what need to be run after , or before making a bash or a merge patch  ie RSPatch bat , SUM, FNIS

Given we are following the STEP guide this should be easy to clarify for those of us who just click buttons, and leave the rest for more enlighten minds too work out.

Another point is all the INI tweaks , the STEP video ini guide differs from whats on the STEP guide page , confused once again

Please help in removing my confusing , by saying at the top of the STEP GUILD "this is where its at" FOLLOW no other instruction & then remove those old Step ini video's , IF indeed that are wrong.

My game by the way is crashing heaps now , getting really tried of tying to get these Bethesda games to work I dare say like most people, hence this great effort by the STEP team to try and get a stable game, with a one stop here it all is guide

The other problem issue is I'm unable to find any error logs , so I can try , with the little hair I have left , too work the problem , my game is crashing now, was working no-idea if it's a game bug or mods

Once again this is NOT mention in the STEP guide , where to look , how to setup, whatever it is you need to setup, so you can use log files, if there are indeed any ( least Morrowind had the Warning.txt ) that can help in bugs solutions

I hope this helps a for a better clearer STEP guide , which is a great help , and very much appreciated

Edited by sutex