Fallout 4 General and Mod Discussion. It Just Works!

Octopuss is correct that write lifetime is very high with SSDs thanks to advances in the technology combined with logic that reduces the number of writes to individual cells, although it is a good idea to keep ample free space on SSDs so it can spread writes around to unused cells.

I literally have no idea what is going on in here, but I noticed something tonight... When you walk through grass it reacts to you! Much wow, so advance. They finally caught up with Rockstar there after 5 years. Bushes though...

Also, I figured how to build unlimited bases. Everytime you scrap something (only tested armour and weapons) the base size goes down. My base currently has 105 defense, so you can go over. Settlers will scavange for items if they are doing nothing too, so unassign them if you want more parts.

Edited by Guest

I literally have no idea what is going on in here, but I noticed something tonight... When you walk through grass it reacts to you! Much wow, so advance. They finally caught up with Rockstar there after 5 years. Bushes though...

I take it this means the bushes really changed from Skyrim? The first time I played Skyrim I was avoiding the bushes and tree limbs because I expected it to be at least somewhat like real life and was surprised to discover I can walk right through them as if they aren't even there. Oh to be naive again. :innocent:

I take it this means the bushes really changed from Skyrim? The first time I played Skyrim I was avoiding the bushes and tree limbs because I expected it to be at least somewhat like real life and was surprised to discover I can walk right through them as if they aren't even there. Oh to be naive again. :innocent:

No it means the opposite Greg. It's even more jarring now the grass moves, so you expect bushes to as well. I'm not sure if you remember their Skyrim game jam video, but the movable foliage is in that. It's not hard to implement and is not at all intensive - in fact they already have done it with grass! Water is even worse than Skyrim  at a distance due to the ocean water now having massive texture ripples. The cut-off transition was so very obvious and ugly along a lake I can view from my base. I'm so disappointed there's no ocean tessellation at all, being the game has large amounts of water. I also wish there was a nice area with foliage around the map too, everything feels kind of similar. They were meant to be aiming for more vibrancy, so why not?

Edit:

PBR:

BC5 here we come Ess, yes. Indeed.

Right, I extracted everything again as my old extraction seemed REALLY messed up. Now the _s contains all the textures I was talking about - the gloss and the metallness in the red and green channel (not sure which is which yet). The _n is basically the same, but with no specular as the other texture is taking care of that. So before my extracted textures were doing something crazy, leading them to seem combined and stuck in the alpha channels of the seperate files. Not sure what was going on. I still have trouble opening some textures so perhaps they are BC7 or something? Edit 2: Nope need newer new version!:

0.03 - Width/Height were actually listed as Height/Width in the BA2 so non-square textures were

incorrectly extracted.

- Gave window a minimum width/height as Windows 10 users complained of the window being too small.

- Can open multiple archives via the file dialog, or by dragging to the executable.

Edited by Guest

Another new feature (I think)... come back to a raider corpse after a few days and there are flies.

EDIT : Scan.co.uk has Corsair Vengeance 2x8Gb 1600 DDR3 for £67. Half what I paid for it last time, dammit! Ordered a second kit, arrives Wednesday.

Edited by DanielCoffey

By the way, I need a update on the state of the modding from someone in the know. I'm seeing mods change that things with plugins right? What are they using? What about the niftool guys too? Any more news on a tool for that DX10+ compression ect ect?

Here is a heads-up about what I know :

1) Since it's your field, have a look here : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/842/?

Not much interesting things (cf Millenia's comment in the post tab), but you might still read something interesting for you. 

2) Nifskope most likely won't see an update as soon as we'd like to. The reason is Jon, who was the dev for nifskope 2.0 afaik, is the one who made B.A.E. : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/78/?

More info on his progess over the AFKMods thread : https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4300-bae-bethesda-archive-extractor/

As you can read there, he had some trouble with some extraction with previous versions.

He's also not very optimistic about updated tools to work with those new DX10+ specific normals.

3) There is some hacky things to do to create plugins with old tools such as the CK/xEdit by creating a fake Fallout4.esm and injecting records from a plugin dependant of it. Not very reliable, and we're working in total blindness when doing so.

There is also a tool called patcher, available here : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16/?

It allow to produce some interesting things, but is extremly limited. It is producing some rather reliable material (aka those plugins doesn't seems corrupted). This is how "Darker Nights" got created.

The only mod I know of which have made something exceptionnal and I can't guess how the author hacked his plugin together is this one : https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/798

The first version was extremly corrupted. The "fixed" one still is, but in an other manner. It look like it have been created with a home-coded tool, or hacked god knows how with the old GECK or CK, or even an old version of Snip, or this kind of things.

4) xEdit guys already started to dump stuffs in order to move to FO4Edit. But zilav and hlp are still playing the game for what I know. Sharlikran do have a copy, but not the computer to run it, so he's the one dumping fallout4.esm records. Although we could have a rough draft of the new records architectures in some times, the exact meaning of each data will take a lot of time to be understood. Honestly it's almost impossible without the new GECK. But the records you're proably interested in might be workable in some times, as there is very little reason for things such as statics, texture sets, or waters records to be very different from there skyrim's counterpart.

Talking about texture sets, it make me think that Beth made some very interesting things with decals this time (logo on various armors for instance), and what look like texture sets (various paintings for armor). Which make me think... If texture sets for some items can be modified in real time... why not water or even ground ?? Yes I'm talking about an hypotethic possibility to make a really complete dynamic climate mods (with grounds textures going snowy and all).

Edited by Kesta

1) Since it's your field, have a look here : https://www.nexusmods...out4/mods/842/?

Not much interesting things (cf Millenia's comment in the post tab), but you might still read something interesting for you.

Oh dang. Someone has a tutorial on the Nexus of all places? From what he is saying it looks like I am right with what I just posted, I'll dl the thing though to make sure.

2) Nifskope most likely won't see an update as soon as we'd like to. The reason is Jon, who was the dev for nifskope 2.0 afaik, is the one who made B.A.E. : https://www.nexusmods...lout4/mods/78/?

More info on his progess over the AFKMods thread : https://afkmods.iguan...hive-extractor/

As you can read there, he had some trouble with some extraction with previous versions.

He's also not very optimistic about updated tools to work with those new DX10+ specific normals.

I checked the forums, but there is nothing, it seems very dead. A shame, but I am sure something will turn up eventually.

3) There is some hacky things to do to create plugins with old tools such as the CK/xEdit by creating a fake Fallout4.esm and injecting records from a plugin dependant of it. Not very reliable, and we're working in total blindness when doing so.

Oh okay, not that I am really interested there. Hate hacky stuff.

4) xEdit guys already started to dump stuffs in order to move to FO4Edit. But zilav and hlp are still playing the game for what I know. Sharlikran do have a copy, but not the computer to run it, so he's the one dumping fallout4.esm records

Yeah I'm sure they are enjoying themselves for now. Let 'em!

Talking about texture sets, it make me think that Beth made some very interesting things with decals this time (logo on various armors for instance), and what look like texture sets (various paintings for armor). Which make me think... If texture sets for some items can be modified in real time... why not water or even ground ?? Yes I'm talking about an hypotethic possibility to make a really complete dynamic climate mods (with grounds textures going snowy and all).

Sound like a neat theory. I hope you are right.

Thank you very much Kesta!

Edit:

The hell... There's a GameJam folder I found and it refers to jet packs, future worms, and steam locomotives. I guess it's just leftover stuff, but jetpacks?... Yes please! Actually, that probably turned into the power armour jets.

Edited by Guest

Confused about NMM. It's supposed to use a virtual folder system like MO, but as far as I can tell, the data folder is still getting modified directly? And how do you choose which ESP to install from a mod that contains multiple ones? Just uncheck the unwanted ones in the plugin menu? Can't wait for MO support.

Edited by Jax765