Fallout 4 General and Mod Discussion. It Just Works!

Really impressed so far.  It's still a Bethesda game but holy moley is Boston awesome and huge to explore.  The "new" engine is much improved in all aspects from Skyrim too (even though it probably is still quirky as hell)

I love how in Skyrim, all the NPCs have a icelandic accent, and in Fallout 4 you have a bunch of these Chowdaheads running around.

Will be interesting to see what kind of mods are possible with the new toolset.  The textures will need some work for sure, but I love the overall art direction/style.

Has anyone found a reliable guide to tweaking yet?  Looking to disable mouse acceleration and the like.  I'm curious about the FalloutCustom.ini file as well - it seems like it took some of the options I put in it, but screwed up my mouselook considerably.

Also of note - the game has problems when running over 60 FPS, just FYI.

Sorry, but it really upset me and you know I usually don't mind our back and forths. It is hard to admit, but I can send you a reason if you want. I have not been feeling myself lately.

Now back on topic!

Will wait then. Honestly I just want to view the files, I'm not editing anything for a long time. I'm wanting to go more into gamplay stuff this time if I were to do anything. Maybe a few texture edits though.

@Octo

A Robbaz video! The only guy I like on Youtube. I can tell from the title, no need to watch. lol Will watch tonight though! I'm still waiting for him to finish his mead brewing series.

Sorry, I went to bed. Anyways, to use the command line is pretty easy. Version 0002 is already out on the Beth forums too, so try that one out.

To extract:

1. Navigate to the folder where extracted the ba2 extractor.
  2. Hold Shift and right click, then select "open command window here"
  3. type:
    ba2extract.exe "source" "destination"

Example: 

ba2extract.exe "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Fallout4 - Textures1.ba2" "C:\Games\Fallout 4\Fallout4 - Textures1"

Hit Enter. 

The God Ray setting is crazy. Low to ultra drops 50fps at 1080p on 980 ti. You can barely see any visual differences between them.

EDIT

Based on NVIDIA comparison

Agreed - I think running on High/Medium is just fine.  Hopefully Bethesda makes some performance improvements in the next few months.

This is probably the worst review that FO4 has received so far: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/fallout-4-review-check-your-next-gen-expectations-at-the-vault-door/

I usually value ArsTechnica for most stuff they print. Pretty fair review of the game it's problems. I'm still going to play and mod the crap out of it regardless, but I have to agree that it has it's problems that I noticed just from play for a couple hours last night. 

I have to stop watching streams or looking at screenshots, it's depressing as hell. The textures are absolutely awful. When I saw a screenshot of a brick wall I wanted to cry. A few times I was really unsure whether Skyrim had more detailed ones than this. The ground textures are flat blurry puddles of mess. How could they not come up with something better than that four years later??!!!!

Edited by Octopuss

Sorry, I went to bed. Anyways, to use the command line is pretty easy. Version 0002 is already out on the Beth forums too, so try that one out.

To extract:

1. Navigate to the folder where extracted the ba2 extractor.
  2. Hold Shift and right click, then select "open command window here"
  3. type:
    ba2extract.exe "source" "destination"

Example: 

ba2extract.exe "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Data\Fallout4 - Textures1.ba2" "C:\Games\Fallout 4\Fallout4 - Textures1"

Hit Enter. 

You clever git! I suck with this stuff as usual. Now I need to get some rest so I can focus and I will be good to do that. I really felt like doing feck all in Fallout today.

@Octo

The ground textures are great IMO. Very detailed. I'll even get a shot on PS4 when I feel up to it to rule out any foul play.

@Octo

The ground textures are great IMO. Very detailed. I'll even get a shot on PS4 when I feel up to it to rule out any foul play.

Totally agree about the ground textures. When I left the vault those ground textures with rocks sticking out looked almost photorealistic. The landscape isn't the problem it's the buildings and some of the clutter.

Haha. We crashed the Nexus with the Bethesda hug of death!

@Neo

C'mon who takes user reviews seriously? Metacritic user reviews are filled with trolls and fanboys. The game is good, but looks rough in places like Ess just said. 

By the way guys, is this game hard on normal or is it me? Admittedly the only thing I did in my few hours of current play was clear out Sanctuary like some kind of locust to build my Red Rocked base, so I still only have raider gear, but I nearly got destroyed by a few Bloatflies  and Bloodbugs (?) along the river. VATS is kind of useless to me now it does not freeze time. I might as well just panic shoot like I have been doing.

Had a run at it before. Got to the first town, shot some raiders and the quest they send you on is to get a mini gun and power armour. Really?

I never worry about Metacritic reviews anyway, but from what I've seen to date it's going to need to improve quite a bit story wise for me to rank it even close to Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

The actual rock textures etc are fine, excellent even. Some of the wood for example... nope.

You can find power armour parts just lying around in places I think. By the way, money is very hard to come by, especially if you scrap everything like me. They did good there. You actually need stores in your settlement to make any decent amount of money. That is why I am working on that. Story is never a strong point in Bethesda games. You are in for disappointment if you focus on just that.

Anyone have Dogmeat, but he never shows up to help you too? I never saw him even though he is meant to follow me and trap me in rooms. He ain't doing his job properly! Oh yeah and Codsworth did call me Ms. McFly! Not a butthead after all! Did anyone else get their names spoken?

Edit:

Looking at the Radroach textures it LOOKS like this: Metalness map goes in the "_s.dds" alpha. Microdetail in the "_n.dds" alpha. That's it. No seperate ambient occlusion or cavity maps could explain why the game doesn't look better. Normal maps are borked as they use the better DX10/11 ones and the current extractor fecks them up I think.

Edited by Guest