Fallout 4 General and Mod Discussion. It Just Works!

There are a lot of really good textures to be seen, but it makes the bad ones stick out just that much more. Apparently some of it might from improper texture formats. I mean it's not like Bethesda to need there textures optimized or anything.  :dry:

That opening enemy in Concord is pretty freaking tough. I think they did that on purpose though. 

@Sparrow, there is an archive extractor now with a GUI. It's on the hot files of the FO4 Nexus if you wanna avoid the command line.

I got 'em out thanks to you Ess!

Working on water textures now. There is only 3. Anyone want to test them very very soon? I'm working blind as I don't have the game on PC.

Edited by Guest

Remember when add new files you need to amend your INI.

1. Navigate to Documents\My Games\Fallout4 and open Fallout4.ini
  2. Find the line sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\ and replace it with sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\

Think of it as temporary Archive Invalidation.

I'm back bit**es!... as of half an hour ago anyway.

Please test if you can!

Basically Enhanced Distant Terrain as I still have that script to batch it up from Skyrim:

SPDistantTerrain.7z

This next one is my material test. Taking some photos will do if possible of the mountain rocks. You WILL see the texture if it works fine:

SPTestV2.7z

My new tweaked and revised water normals:

SPWaterV3.7z

Thanks guys. It didn't take too long. If anyone can test and sees any benefit I will be grateful. If so I can upload it for everyone!

Now off to cook some pasta!

Edit: Updated water textures to have alpha channel and BC5 test files. Also fixed materal test names.

@Octopuss

Another one. Yay.

@thorgal

I really prefer to see a lower shadow detail with this game (2k not 1k). It looks more natural to me.

Edited by Guest

Hmm white? Only thing I did differently was remove the blank alpha channel. Maybe it is needed this time for rain effects. The water textures are actually saved uncompressed by default. The diffuse seem to be saved in DXT1 like Skyrim as I can open them perfectly. I'll do a test, just lemme fire up the laptop and rejig a few things.

Edit: Updated my above post. Please try them! Thanks.

BC5 is not better than uncompressed obviously, but it's really nice on the file size front and it looks much better over the old compression too. I just need to figure out how to get transparency exporting properly. It shows how much these formats are not utilised, there's not much documentation even after all these years. Photoshop and GIMP need their plugins updated to support these formats better.

Edit 2: Forgot to say the textures have confused me even more since I looked further into them. The "_n.dds" and "s_.dds" appear to both be normal maps. The first one seems to have a duplicated normal map pushed into its alpha channel for roughness. The second has the gloss (metalness) map in it. I mean the exporter messed them up so maybe I'm missing something, but from the material I have read, I never came across anything like that. Usually everything is seperate and there is one normal as you would imagine.

Edited by Guest

Whoops, I forgot to say thanks Hackfield for that list. Very handy.

Well it is 6:30am here and I am a bit blury eyed so I couldn't find DoubleYou's thread, but it seems some people are getting stuck in terminals and are fixing it by changing iPresetVariable to 0 in the prefs ini. 

Now it seems only Ess has tried my files above or something (I'll say thanks for helping me out before too) but I would  love some more testers so we can make sure it is fine for everyone. I didn't plan to make anything, but it helps figure stuff out for the wider community I guess. I'll probably wait for the kit until I mess around again. Anyway, the only real difference now is the distant terrain textures have no blank alpha. I don't know why they keep saving things like this, it seems like a huge memory waste. I can't imagine the distant textures needing it at all. If that works okay I will look into flattening the normals too and saving in BC5.

Edited by Guest

I'll start testing those files tomorrow. To wrapped up in just playing around that trying to have fun to care about how pretty stuff is. That will probably wear off in a few more hours of playing.

I'm thinking that there is a mesh problem. That has to be the only reason that some of the textures look that way. You just can't muck it up that bad without doing it on purpose. Wonder if Brumbek is already looking into it.

Here ya go SparrowPrince, did some water testing - first is a screenshot of the default water (Ultra), second is the same location with your BC5 test files. Not sure if this is any help or not, as i wasn't too sure on what you actually wanted. Anyway...

fL7N75P.jpgETvsE0i.jpg

Edited by james4832