Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM (by Brumbek)

z929669

You should say that there is texture popping for the no sails at 1080 or lower due to pixel density' date=' so it should be users choice.[/quote']

Will add a note.

My opinion is sails' date=' two reasons:

1) More realistic and true to how windmills work.

2) No texture/aa shimmer.[/quote']

This is my vote as well since a windmill without a sail would barely move if it moved at all.

I've tested this out in-game and can't reproduce these issues in a pure Core setup. No popping, no flickering/shimmering with 4x4 AA (supersampling) via the graphics driver (nvidia GTX 760 4GB) on the non-sail version running at 1080. Regardless, the sails version still makes more sense to me.

Hey there.  Just wanted to bring something up (and ask a question) that might not be so clear to somebody who's using the STEP project or Mod Organizer for the first time.

In the instructions for installing SMIM, the bottom notes go on to read:

NOTES: The following can be safely deactivated or removed if using the USKP and the STEP Patches.

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp - redundant with the Unofficial Skyrim Patch

StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp - redundant with the STEP Patches

StaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp - redundant with the STEP Patches

With a note underneath that reads:

MO File Tree: Hide the following files:

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp

This presented a two part problem for me, a new MO users- one, in that they sort of conflict with one another in terms of instruction, and two, in that I haven't seen anything explaining how to properly do this.

Now, I used my brain, and I'm pretty sure what's meant is to go into the 'data' tab and find these files, right click them, and select hide (Right after installing, I assume).  But maybe these instructions somewhere on the main STEP page would be helpful to a new user?  Also- either deleting the 'notes' section, or specifying that they are for non-MO users (which is what I assumed by them both being there).

Am I correct in those assumptions?  If the instructions are there somewhere, sorry about the mix up.  Otherwise, the STEP guide has been wonderfully straightforward & very well explained thus far, and I'm really excited to see my revamped Skyrim in action.

The STEP community has been amazingly helpful to me so far.  Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think I found the instructions in the MO guide, wherein it states that 'hiding' a file will effectively render it disabled. Is this correct? Still, might be nice to have this instruction on the STEP guide proper.

There are 3 ways for doing this:

Open up the mod folder in mo panel select the 3 esp and right click and select hide.

Instead of selecting hide, you may also delete the 3 esp by selecting delete.

Open up the mod folder through MO panel and navigate to the optional esp directory. Select the 3 esp files and then the arrow towards "optional esp".

All end up with the esp files not being used by the virtual file system after game launch.

There are 3 ways for doing this:

Open up the mod folder in mo panel select the 3 esp and right click and select hide.

Instead of selecting hide, you may also delete the 3 esp by selecting delete.

Open up the mod folder through MO panel and navigate to the optional esp directory. Select the 3 esp files and then the arrow towards "optional esp".

All end up with the esp files not being used by the virtual file system after game launch.

You waste 3 esp slots.

You don't have to hide them. I recommend simply moving them to Optional ESPs.

Awesome- thank you all for the prompt explanations.  I'd found the 'how' on the guide for MO, but the 'why' was eluding me, which made me more wary to do it.

The main Plugin for SMIM is redundant with USKP. The two optional plugins for the DB tern and the snowy chests are covered by which ever STEP Patch you are using. If not using a STEP patch I will have a small plugin that will cover some stuff that everyone can use.

What if we dont hide the 3 esps? Will anything bad happen?

FYI: I am NOT using the STEP patches.

If you are not using STEP patches then you need the individual esp files which are merged into the STEP patch for the mods to work. I think you could've figured that one out on your own.

You waste 3 esp slots.

I read the instructions as "hide if you use USKP AND STEP patches. Right? So not wasting, they seem to be actually needed.
Yeah, Doyouevenmodbro has edited his post and added the "I don't use STEP patches" after I answered his question.

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm reading the changelog for 1.63 correctly, we no longer need Jewels of the Nord.

Version 1.63-SMIM'd the entire Gold and Silver ring set (goldring and silverring meshes) to make the rings actually round. Thanks to pfaffendrill for letting me modify his texture from his great Jewels of the Nord mod. -Ring meshes for Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade or Jewelcraft mods also included as an install option. -SMIM'd the most common dead tundra tree used in over 800 places (tundradriftwood01.nif). This fixes the horrible UV mapping on the roots and uses a new texture. -Edited both Hagraven load screen meshes to fix the feathers clipping through the legs and minor UV improvements to cloak (loadscreenhagraven01.nif, loadscreenhagraven02.nif). -Slightly enlarged the cave_lamp01.nif bowl to remove clipping from the fire mesh placed in many of them. This is a vanilla issue I fixed. -Updated some meshes with new USKP 2.0.1 fixes detailed below. -Cast shadows flags added for mountaincliff03.nif, mountaincliffsm01.nif, mountainridge01.nif, mountaintrim01wet.nif, and mountaintrim01.nif. -Fixed collision for commontablelow02.nif. -Thanks to Arthmoor and the USKP team for the fixes.