Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM (by Brumbek)

z929669

Definitely. Might have to discuss whether we like the sails or not' date=' but current opinion is that we prefer it without sails.[/quote']

May I ask why? Sails hide ugly artefacting in distance and are more realistic...

Brumbek mentioned that the new windmills have issues with resolutions 1080 or lower. The pixel density isn't high enough to avoid the flickering at longer distances. Could be to mention this as recommendation based on monitor res.

Definitely. Might have to discuss whether we like the sails or not' date=' but current opinion is that we prefer it without sails.[/quote']

May I ask why? Sails hide ugly artefacting in distance and are more realistic...

Brumbek mentioned that the new windmills have issues with resolutions 1080 or lower. The pixel density isn't high enough to avoid the flickering at longer distances. Could be to mention this as recommendation based on monitor res.

This is about the meshes without the sails and is the anomaly I was talking about(1.62b). The one with sails does not have this issue. Since 90% of us play at 1080 or higher I suggest to use the one with sails. 1.62d.

I would also like to know why the LoD files aren't recommended. Are we relying on one of the other current LoD mods for those?

No idea, no other mod in the current STEP....

Great job on the new update everyone!

One thing I noticed was that SMIM's page was a bit... out of order and confusing.

My proposal to the page: a table.

Posted Image

With it laid out like this, you can clearly see which one you should install and which one you shouldn't. Also it offers a small level of customization for low to high end computers.

I personally believe that the high poly (10k+ polycount) 3D models add way too much detail for lower end computers, Though I cannot comment onto why that is, be it, RAM, CPU, or VRAM. All I know is my friends computers have difficulty using all the high end poly meshes. Generally they have 2gbs of VRAM. And seeing as with STEP you're adding lots of high end textures, the absence of these high end meshes may not be missed on lower end computers.

But, with all that said, if you have reason to believe that isn't the case, then I would suggest at least keeping the order I've used for the table; if not use the whole thing.

Excel table:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/203161/STEPsmim.xlsx

Thank you.

Great job on the new update everyone!

One thing I noticed was that SMIM's page was a bit... out of order and confusing.

My proposal to the page: a table.

Posted Image

With it laid out like this, you can clearly see which one you should install and which one you shouldn't. Also it offers a small level of customization for low to high end computers.

I personally believe that the high poly (10k+ polycount) 3D models add way too much detail for lower end computers, Though I cannot comment onto why that is, be it, RAM, CPU, or VRAM. All I know is my friends computers have difficulty using all the high end poly meshes. Generally they have 2gbs of VRAM. And seeing as with STEP you're adding lots of high end textures, the absence of these high end meshes may not be missed on lower end computers.

But, with all that said, if you have reason to believe that isn't the case, then I would suggest at least keeping the order I've used for the table; if not use the whole thing.

Excel table:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/203161/STEPsmim.xlsx

Thank you.

It depends on which fomod installer you use to install this mod as to the order it will be given. Since the NCC installer is the most confusing, I stuck with its order, since it is easy to see which options you want if you use the internal fomod installer.

As to higher polycount of 3D models being more stressful on GPUs, it all depends on how many the GPU has to render in the scene. However, higher polycount is generally more problematic on animated objects than static objects. Of course, modders may adjust the settings for SMIM to their liking, as our recommendations for things like this are simply that: recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...