Texture Pack Combiner

Kelmych

Yeah, redoing everything would be painful. It's not even as "simple" as just replacing the SRO textures, one also needs to keep in mind surrounding textures. I don't know how many textures that have been skipped from other mods because SRO has had better alternatives. One would have to go through pretty much all of the other mods if it were to be done correctly. Yes, it'd take weeks. The only way to do it quicker would be to cheat.

Additionally, I very rarely base my selections on how textures compare in a texture viewing tool. They can indeed be helpful, but there's nothing like looking at the stuff in game.

For some reason I completely missed your post earlier. (3hrs of sleep.... :wacko:)

Thanks for the advice! I haven't even started on my personal project yet. (been working on a client computer all day) Since I only have a completed TPC combined folder, there is a lot of work in my future to figure out which are the SRO textures. Since I don't have them separately, it's the only way I'm going to be able to keep the SRO textures; hand selecting them out of the combined folder. :ninja:

I sent Starac a message asking if he'd be kind enough to provide them to me for my personal use...I'm not expecting much from that, but I can hope!

You can probably figure it out with the batch file you used to create the folder and just delete/exclude everything that overwrote SRO.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, redoing everything would be painful. It's not even as "simple" as just replacing the SRO textures, one also needs to keep in mind surrounding textures. I don't know how many textures that have been skipped from other mods because SRO has had better alternatives. One would have to go through pretty much all of the other mods if it were to be done correctly. Yes, it'd take weeks. The only way to do it quicker would be to cheat.

Additionally, I very rarely base my selections on how textures compare in a texture viewing tool. They can indeed be helpful, but there's nothing like looking at the stuff in game.

For some reason I completely missed your post earlier. (3hrs of sleep.... :wacko:)

Thanks for the advice! I haven't even started on my personal project yet. (been working on a client computer all day) Since I only have a completed TPC combined folder, there is a lot of work in my future to figure out which are the SRO textures. Since I don't have them separately, it's the only way I'm going to be able to keep the SRO textures; hand selecting them out of the combined folder. :ninja:

I sent Starac a message asking if he'd be kind enough to provide them to me for my personal use...I'm not expecting much from that, but I can hope!

You can probably figure it out with the batch file you used to create the folder and just delete/exclude everything that overwrote SRO.
That's the plan! But have you ever looked at that .bat file? There's a LOT of lines! It's going to take a good whole day. lol

That's the plan! But have you ever looked at that .bat file? There's a LOT of lines! It's going to take a good whole day. lol
True, but at least it's mostly in chunks.  I'd break it into two files, one with the SRO stuff and one with everything after SRO and then you should be able to search relatively easily (assuming you have something like Notepad++).  If you wanted to get really fancy you could use Excel VBA to get a list of just the filenames (search for the extension, then search backwards for the backslash and only take what's in between) and then use conditional formatting to highlight duplicates, again this is using two worksheets/columns.

I have an even better solution:

1) Copy your game textures directory and place it in Required Mods\SRO\Textures

2) Make sure you have NO OTHER mods placed in any TPC mod folder.

3) Run the batch.

4) Ta-da! Now you have all the SRO files in your combined folder.

3) Run the batch.

Do the batch files not copy files that will be overwritten?  If they do then I don't think you'll get only the SRO files.  Also, make sure you're using a batch file that corresponds with the SRO version you have.

3) Run the batch.

Do the batch files not copy files that will be overwritten?  If they do then I don't think you'll get only the SRO files.  Also, make sure you're using a batch file that corresponds with the SRO version you have.
As long as you put the textures in the SRO folder, it should work. The batch file is folder/texure file name specific so as long as you haven't overwritten the SRO files manually it should pull only the SRO textures which were used in the combined folder out of your current textures. It works much like load order... Like Cestral said, as long as there are only files in the SRO folder, only the SRO textures will be processed because there are no other files to overwrite them during the batch run.

3) Run the batch.

I can confirm that this does work. From my 4.5GB of textures the batch file extracted 1.48GB. I'll look more into it by referencing the extracted files to the batch file to make sure they are indeed the SRO files. I'm fairly confident they are. :happy:

Well, you will of course not have 100% of the files from the SRO texture pack, but what you WILL have are all the SRO textures required by the TPC. Doing this manually wouldn't magically rescue more files, so this is the best and only way to do it. If some files were overwritten, they were only overwritten with better alternatives anyway.

3) Run the batch.

I can confirm that this does work. From my 4.5GB of textures the batch file extracted 1.48GB. I'll look more into it by referencing the extracted files to the batch file to make sure they are indeed the SRO files. I'm fairly confident they are. :happy:
I have failed to read all of the context of the goal here, but ...

Yep, I have no doubt that this would work as long as you are only interested in the SRO files that Cestral has included in the BAT.

Another simple way of isolating only SRO from TPC Combined is to use something like Free File Sync to compare against SRO, output the overlap to text and use that to create a new xcopy BAT file (this is how I often resolve conflicts or investigate package contents against a reference).

Well' date=' you will of course not have 100% of the files from the SRO texture pack, but what you WILL have are all the SRO textures required by the TPC. Doing this manually wouldn't magically rescue more files, so this is the best and only way to do it. If some files were overwritten, they were only overwritten with better alternatives anyway.[/quote']

I figured as much. All I cared about recovering were the ones required by TPC so I could run any updates like your recent 1.81. :D Starac is on a slow internet connection or he most likely would have provided them to me. He told me the only alternative was to try searching for torrents. A lot of updated mods have been released since my last STEP install so I'll be reinstalling a lot of them. I was going to wait til the next STEP release but it's still a little ways off I think.

I was going to wait til the next STEP release but it's still a little ways off I think.

Unfortunately so.  All the Wiki stuff is done for this release (although not the mod testing ticket system) so now we're working out a couple things regarding mod order.  Once that's done we should be able to get a beta-ready guide up for final testing.  

After running the TPC to extract the SRO textures as suggested by Cestral above and then running the full 1.81, the only textures reported by the log that are missing from SRO are listed below:

Line 510: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\architecture\riften\riftenstonewall011.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\architecture\riften\"

(typo in Batch file? riftenstonewall011.dds = riftenstonewall01.dds)

Line 688: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\architecture\tents\smallimperialtent.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\architecture\tents\"

Line 689: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\architecture\tents\smallimperialtent_n.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\architecture\tents\"

(I'm missing these in my install folder so that why they're not missing)

Line 716: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\architecture\whiterun\wrcitywall01_nnm.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\architecture\whiterun\"

Line 717: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\architecture\whiterun\wrcitywall011.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\architecture\whiterun\"

(more typos?)

Line 1040: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\clutter\brewinggiantcask01.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\clutter\"

Line 1042: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\clutter\brewingtank01.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\clutter\"

Line 1048: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\clutter\nightingaleclutter01.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\clutter\"

(missing these too. Mine have "...01_n.dds" in install folder)

Line 1104: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\clutter\ruins\ruinslinenwrapping01.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\clutter\ruins\"

Line 1105: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\clutter\ruins\ruinslinenwrapping01_n.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\clutter\ruins\"

Line 1463: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\landscape\sgrass01_n.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\landscape\"

(I'm missing these all together too from my install folder)

Line 1490: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\landscape\roads\roaddetails01_nn.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\landscape\roads\"

(typo?)

Line 1501: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\trap\largetrap01.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\trap\"

Line 1502: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\trap\pressureplate01.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\trap\"

Line 1503: File not found: "Required Mods\SRO\Textures\trap\pressureplate01_n.dds" to "Combined\Data\Textures\trap\"

(missing all of these as well from my install folder)

All the flat-out missing files were missing in my install folder to begin with so they're obviously going to be missing in the log. I think several are typos which Cestral would may be interested in.

Yes, there's a handful of files that are part of the full SRO pack which aren't in the Lite version. Namely the "011", "_nn" "_nnm" stuff. Also the sgrass01_n because I believe the Lite pack uses the vanilla lightmap. I believe they were left in the SRO pack by mistake and I keep forgetting to remove them. I've had this reported a hundred times over the past months so they'll be gone in the next version. :p They don't break anything other than giving a false alarm to SRO Lite users.

Yes' date=' there's a handful of files that are part of the full SRO pack which aren't in the Lite version. Namely the "011", "_nn" "_nnm" stuff. Also the sgrass01_n because I believe the Lite pack uses the vanilla lightmap. I believe they were left in the SRO pack by mistake and I keep forgetting to remove them. I've had this reported a hundred times over the past months so they'll be gone in the next version. :p They don't break anything other than giving a false alarm to SRO Lite users.[/quote']

There are 213 redundant HRDLC files traveling with the SRO Pack. It is simple to clean them out using Free File Sync to compare the two.... not that it matters much now.