Texture Pack Combiner

Kelmych

SRO is now reported as "Under Moderation" and Starac has been banned for requiring money.

Link

Karma.

You sir are an idiot.

@all great example of how NOT to handle a situation.

IT was his choice to disregard the Rules of The Skyrim Nexus, (And also the rules of the Creation Kit and The EULA of Skyrim, that is you don't charge anyone for Modifications of their work, which his textures are) He bit the bullet, and it blew up in his face.

I don't see how we are to blame.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SRO is now reported as "Under Moderation" and Starac has been banned for requiring money.

Link

I was going to respond to Starac's posts but I'm a little overwhelmed by the irony and karma.  Unfortunately you've got to consider the possibility that he did this on purpose.  Surely he knows the rules, so he might be looking for a excuse in order to get the mod taken down without it being "entirely his fault" (even though it is).  And then comes the possibility that this whole ordeal was over donations in the first place; if he felt people were donating to Cestral and not bothering to endorse/donate to the individual authors I can see being mad about that.
HAHAHAHA! :teehee:  I was going to respond too but that answers all questions and sets all things right in my mind. I will say this if he returns to read this:

Starac! You can NOT tell other what they can and can not write about your mod. Period. Whether it be a good review, bad review or simply a positive recommendation. It does not matter if you own the mod or not. It's called freedom of speech. I don't know where you're from, and this is not to be taken wrongly, but Nexus is host in countries where these freedoms of speech are rights and you don't have a choice about it. You're allow to voice your disapproval but that is where the line stops. From that point on it is up to the individual authors whether to comply with your request or not. STEP and TPC does nothing to your mod but mention it by name and there is nothing you can do about that or any other individual that simply writes about your mod.

As for the banning, well... that tells me that he's living in a fantasy world and no amount or context of words are going to get him to understand. By demanding donations you are essentially "reselling" a product that you do not have the rights to do so. This should be a good lesson to all authors. For original content, though you might have created the content, Bethesda, actually own the rights to the file names you are using to put this content into the game. The only thing you own is the artwork/code what was originally made/written. As for mods that are simply modified vanilla textures...anything that is modified vanilla, Bethesda owns and they are simply allowing you to modify the textures. You have no rights beyond that.

He didn't "use" your mod. All he did was ask people to download it and provided an application to organise it. TCP merely makes what we were already doing simpler. I simply cannot think of another explanation for you having a problem with what is essentially a sorting program other than the fact that you do not like that in certain cases it favours the work of others over yours. Nobody here is going to tell you that your work is not great. But they will also not tell you that it is perfect. But the same holds true for the other major texture packages. Some files in one may be better than those in another but the other has files preferable over the first.

Cestral did nothing wrong. None of your assets were used. In fact, not only did he give full credit in an instance where he needed only to provide a link, he also asks everyone to endorse the packages that TCP covers. He did more than he needed to in support of the authors. He includes none of their work. TCP is nothing more than a few lines of code and some file names.

Are you really going to tell us that recommending work that one enjoys to others is wrong?

Modding is about making Skyrim the best it can be. Are you going to tell us we are not allowed to want that?

How is it wrong to find a simpler way to do that? Nothing was stolen. He provided a link. He gave full credits and praises to all the mods authors. He even encourages users to endorse the works they use. He has gone above and beyond what he needed to do.

Now, I'm not going to try and ask you to restore SRO. As I cannot see that happening as long as you hold this attitude. And frankly, I think it's for the best. The modding community could do without such personalities. Just know that as long as SRO is online (Nexus or otherwise), and people use it they will continue to replace elements of it with ones they find more appealing to them. Whether they do it manually or with a utility such as TCP. It is the very nature of modding, after all.

As for STEP. TheComplier did nothing more than recommend your mod to others. I do hope you call a restaurants head chef before you tell your friends they should go there for lunch.

Some people really don't want to understand this! You can merge mods how you want in one big file, or create a batch that will do the same. The result is the same.

This is why i have stated that one cannot use my mod for any kind of modifications without my permission.

This is effectively telling people that they can't pick or mix and match the textures they like, on their own Skyrim setup.

You're an intelligent guy (or so I'd like to believe), I think you understand very well how Cestral's "mod" works. It doesn't use any files from your mod. In fact, it doesn't use any assets from any mods. It's no different to downloading yours and other mods and putting them in the Data folder manually. Except you shouldn't give a **** what people do at that point, not to mention you have no right to tell them how to use your files.

Next thing I know, you're be calling for banning STEP, because it has mods you don't like in its list.

Just admit to being a dick already. I'm pretty sure you violated Bethesda's license for modders by requiring donations too. Thanks for the textures anyway.

Let us all calm down and stop beating up on the guy. He has his opinion and we have ours. Let us agree to disagree and call it a day.

As far as STEP is concerned, since SRO is no longer available due to both starac's actions and his nexus ban we basically have no choice but to remove it as a recommended mod despite the quality of his work it is simply not available any longer.

Let us all calm down and stop beating up on the guy. He has his opinion and we have ours. Let us agree to disagree and call it a day.

As far as STEP is concerned, since SRO is no longer available due to both starac's actions and his nexus ban we basically have no choice but to remove it as a recommended mod despite the quality of his work it is simply not available any longer.

Yeah, I don't see this going anywhere productive. 

The STEP Community Mantra

'''Let us foster an environment that leverages your enthusiasm within a culture of good humor ... and rigorous analysis!'''

Here I thought this drama was over long time ago' date=' never the less, still going to use both SRO and TPC texture sorter to make the game look better. Sad times but not letting it stain the game. :\[/quote']

As Z said the only people that lose out of all this mess are the modders.  I didn't get a chance to download the v1.6 files, so unless I get them "illegally" from one of you guys it looks like I'm one of the many users who are SoL.  This also means we get to rework STEP around SRO being gone... yay...

As far as STEP is concerned' date=' since SRO is no longer available due to both starac's actions and his nexus ban we basically have no choice but to remove it as a recommended mod despite the quality of his work it is simply not available any longer.[/quote']

Absolutely, it's done and now we just have to clean up and continue.  Cestral, if you're reading these I'd appreciate some basic rundown of how you're going to compensate since SRO's removal will probably have a decent impact on how the TPC and STEP will look.  Are you just going to replace the SRO textures with your second choice for now?

Agreed. It's going to be hard to find a suitable replacement for SRO as the TPC used 1200+ files from it. That pales in comparison to the 20-50 files used from SkyrimHD and HD2K. Sad day for the modding community and STEP.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have all the SRO files archived on my machine, including Dawnguard.

That being said, I have been and am in the middle of a re-write of my mod guide and SRO was going to be the central player. I do NOT want to give that up so it will be hard for me to be objective and make my guide WITHOUT those files. I'm hoping that eventually they will be restored on another site by starac otherwise I may have to leave it in and put a *No Longer Available On Nexus* tag on it for those people who have them downloaded already. Unfortunately the closest "replacement" is the high res DLC from Bethesda as SRO kept close to Vanilla.

STEP did OK before SRO came out, I don't see how it's going to suffer now, considering that the textures are removed from legal channels for all users. It's always been a compilation of the best available mods.

With that said, it's a shame that Starac removed his great mod. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't respect anyone using his work, because he couldn't profit from it. TPC has never hurt Starac's work, if anything, it increased his downloads, endorsements and potential donations through its popularity and inclusion in STEP.

Link

This is a BIG lie! Here is my last post:

I have deleted all files from the SRO main page. In the future i will send new updates to the people who supported me through donations.

Thanks to all the people who recognized quality!

It is kinda logical that i should send new updates to those people. They give me their money! I did not ask for the money! Those Nexus moderators are so stupid!

After this and after some comments here i'm glad that i have removed SRO. 

But i'm not surprised. I know people very well!

Link

I have deleted all files from the SRO main page. In the future i will send new updates to the people who supported me through donations.

It is kinda logical that i should send new updates to those people. They give me their money! I did not ask for the money! Those Nexus moderators are so stupid!

What about the people who have always supported you by endorsing your work, commenting on it, encouraging you and giving feedback on any developments, promoting it on various forums, including in their Skyrim modding guides, texture compilations or even torrenting it (sharing their bandwidth with other users), because it was that good? Do they not count because they didn't want/couldn't pay you for your free work?

Link

So you're basically telling people that didn't donate you money (Because they have to pay for other things.) To Sod off.

That's totally not creating pay content, and restricting user that didn't donate in the first place.

I.E It's completely unfair and again, goes against the Skyrim EULA. You are not allowed to force people to pay money for mods. It's not just against The Nexus's Rules, it's against the LAW.

People like myself and many others have endorsed, commented, and praised SRO, I even defended you when you stated that it shouldn't be mixed with other mods (As they do artistically clash.) But you've been acting horribly childish and unfair and this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Just Look at the Comment Page

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/518782-skyrim-realistic-overhaul/page__st__1260__p__6862134&do=findComment&comment=6862134

Do You REALLY think these guys are ever going to donate to you again, hell some people even un-endorsed it SPECIFICALLY because you did this. I doubt they'll ever donate to you again, or even CARE that you release updates because of how much bad blood you spilled.

You've disappointed ALOT of people Starac, alot of FANS, including myself, I who HAD donated because I thought this mod was good.