STEP v2.2.9 Official Bug Reports

EssArrBee

The Main File for that mod is 2048x2048, that has the 3 candle textures in it (78 textures total). The 1024x1024 optional file (STEP recommended) does not have those 3 candle textures (75 textures total)

There's the issue. We tell users to use the 1024x version. If any user uses something other than the recommendation, we will not have issues documented. In this case, we can add a note since it is only a recommendation and not a requirement. I'll put one on the mod page.

In this case it's not the "recommended" version though, just the "baseline" version.  STEP recommends the "HQ" option for those who can go above the baseline.

In other words, I've seen other mods that have higher quality (higher texture size) options that aren't noted in the guide next to the mod as "HQ".  I always assumed those to be higher quality options that are not recommended due to poor quality to performance ratio or something, since they aren't noted as "HQ" options.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

In this case it's not the "recommended" version though, just the "baseline" version.  STEP recommends the "HQ" option for those who can go above the baseline.

Umm...no.  :huh:  You read this somewhere? From the STEP Guide:

For those wishing to use higher-quality options and/or to install the non-Core mods (tentatively, STEP:Extended Beta), be advised that a more powerful system is likely necessary. The Baseline install that we recommend will provide the best quality-performance trade-off.

Notice: Baseline (referenced throughout this guide) is the STEP:Core 'Baseline' mods install (see mod tables) and adherence to all of the instructions in this guide, nothing more, nothing less

Baseline - This notes the STEP Baseline version or option of the corresponding mod, and usually refers to options affecting performance/quality. General suggestions are located in the "Notes" column.

No where do we every state to install the HQ version if the user system can handle it. We actually recommend sticking to the baseline for all mods that have it. When the STEP Guide is tested before release, only the Baseline for each mod is tested. The HQ options have always and will ever be the user's choice. The STEP Staff do not test these options as they are generally for higher end systems and we cater to a mid-range system for Extended.

@Re-defined Dungeons:

Note has been added to the Guide.

I assumed that because I examined things ahead of time at one point after I had originally installed the baseline STEP.  I had gotten a better graphics card and decided to bump everything up to HQ.  When I was examining the options, I noticed that a few mods in the list had higher texture options but that those mods lacked the "HQ" marking next to them.  I also read and re-read the initial instructions a few times at the top where the guide explains baseline and HQ and LQ and so forth.  Taking all of it in, it seemed like "baseline" was for people with mid-range system specs and for initial installation to get a reading on the FPS.  And that the LQ or HQ options were for people with lower or higher system specs (respectively).  The fact that the guide did not list "HQ" when those options were available for certain mods led me to believe that those were not recommended, but that the other mods with "LQ" or "HQ" options were recommended alternatives to the baseline version.

Perhaps someone just didn't notice the options for some of the mods and so they didn't mark those mods with "HQ" in the guide.  I guess I assumed the guide to be more perfect than it was.

I assumed that because I examined things ahead of time at one point after I had originally installed the baseline STEP.  I had gotten a better graphics card and decided to bump everything up to HQ.  When I was examining the options, I noticed that a few mods in the list had higher texture options but that those mods lacked the "HQ" marking next to them.  I also read and re-read the initial instructions a few times at the top where the guide explains baseline and HQ and LQ and so forth.  Taking all of it in, it seemed like "baseline" was for people with mid-range system specs and for initial installation to get a reading on the FPS.  And that the LQ or HQ options were for people with lower or higher system specs (respectively).  The fact that the guide did not list "HQ" when those options were available for certain mods led me to believe that those were not recommended, but that the other mods with "LQ" or "HQ" options were recommended alternatives to the baseline version.

Perhaps someone just didn't notice the options for some of the mods and so they didn't mark those mods with "HQ" in the guide.  I guess I assumed the guide to be more perfect than it was.

That right there. We had just missed some of the mods with those options. Contrary to popular belief, we're human too (most of us anyway). ::P:

The icons are just there for the users information in case this need to go down to a lower quality version than what we recommend (baseline = STEP recommendation for most systems) or desire to have a higher quality version for whatever reason.

I hope that there's nothing else like this in another mod - a situation where the different texture quality option packages for a mod actually have different files in them that can cause issues unnoticed by STEP.  I guess we'll just have to wait until people using the non-baseline options notice issues and report them... :)

True, I've actually been considering upgrading some of my textures to the HQ ones where it makes sense. I have a GTX 760 with 4GB of VRAM. I need to monitor the VRAM use before doing this though. Most of my textures (if not all) are staying on the card at the moment and I would like this to remain so.

I have a GTX 770 w/ 4 GB.  I decided to try ENB and higher textures, but decided that I didn't like the framerate drop from doing both at the same time.  In the end I felt that I got more visually out of higher textures and lighting mods like ELFX and RLO with RLO weathers than ENB without high textures.  :)

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Kickass Torrents is down. It was taken over by a domain seizure. SRO will not be available unless we post the .torrent or magnet link directly.

It's not entirely down, only kickass.so is taken down, kickass.to is up and running. Link to SRO.

Edited by TheDane

Kickass Torrents is down. It was taken over by a domain seizure. SRO will not be available unless we post the .torrent or magnet link directly.

Nooo problem ... it is on H33t. I will update the link in the guide.

EDIT: OK, just waw the note about Kickass.to versus Kickass.so

Regardless, please bookmark the H33t link, which is a viable alternative.