STEP v2.2.9 Official Bug Reports

EssArrBee

That sounds probable, I had a read of Sparrowprinces description, and I understand the more of these that are added, the less optimal your setup becomes ( Bethesda erred on the side of too cautious )

Quarns fixes for the USKP are obviously not going quite as far as Sparrowprinces Distant Decal Fix in the amount of fixes applied

Are the extras from Distant Decal Fix really needed ?, I only use the unofficial patch fixes and dont notice anything obvious missing in terms of decals. But then I'm running on a minimum spec machine in window mode so probably would not notice them unless on a high res screen with lots more apparent detail.

Maybe the notes on the wiki could be utilised for this, aswell as an explanation on the order of positioning before USKP ( pstyl3 has made a post on AFK Mods that this is probably related to a MO left window thing - I dont use it so cannot corroborate )

DDF includes about 20 assets not covered by the USKP (I think), whether or not this is a noticeable difference in game depends on the person, I suppose. Since these really are fixes, it makes sense that they be included, regardless of the technically 'incorrect' statement made in the USKP release notes. If anyone can demonstrate that any of these 20 or so DDF fixes botch downstream compatibility in terms of the USP or other well-known mods, that is another story.

However, I think it is pertinent that the USP team modifies their notes to reflect reality, whatever it may be, as if their statement about DDF being obsolete (implies 100% redundancy), then the statement is misinformation and should be elaborated upon (e.g., "DDF is largely redundant", "not recommended for ", etc.).

I remember a PM I had going with Arthmoor where he mentioned something about mesh issues that DDF did not address properly (or that it was not implemented in accordance with the Quarn standard), but I sensed more that the USP team was playing it safe rather than providing evidence to confirm that DDF implemented the fixes in a non-standard fashion.

If you would care to provide the needed details, i would be happy to revise our recommendations and drop that mod. In the meantime, I will add a note about the install order.

... no disrespect to the USP team, of course; however, regardless of reputation, I think that they would agree that taking the word of any source as fact without evidence (when there is factual contention already present) is not advisable ... same goes for STEP. We recommend using DDF, USKP recommends not, and neither of us are providing the facts needed to come to a consensus on this one :whistling:

DDF includes about 20 assets not covered by the USKP (I think), whether or not this is a noticeable difference in game depends on the person, I suppose. Since these really are fixes, it makes sense that they be included, regardless of the technically 'incorrect' statement made in the USKP release notes. If anyone can demonstrate that any of these 20 or so DDF fixes botch downstream compatibility in terms of the USP or other well-known mods, that is another story.

However, I think it is pertinent that the USP team modifies their notes to reflect reality, whatever it may be, as if their statement about DDF being obsolete (implies 100% redundancy), then the statement is misinformation and should be elaborated upon (e.g., "DDF is largely redundant", "not recommended for <reason>", etc.).

I remember a PM I had going with Arthmoor where he mentioned something about mesh issues that DDF did not address properly (or that it was not implemented in accordance with the Quarn standard), but I sensed more that the USP team was playing it safe rather than providing evidence to confirm that DDF implemented the fixes in a non-standard fashion.

If you would care to provide the needed details, i would be happy to revise our recommendations and drop that mod. In the meantime, I will add a note about the install order.

... no disrespect to the USP team, of course; however, regardless of reputation, I think that they would agree that taking the word of any source as fact without evidence (when there is factual contention already present) is not advisable ... same goes for STEP. We recommend using DDF, USKP recommends not, and neither of us are providing the facts needed to come to a consensus on this one :whistling:

No idea about that lot, my posts here were on behalf of a new user at AFKMods posting in the wrong forum ( see post #388 ), I didn't know anything about any history that has passed before on the subject.

Why would I "care to provide the needed details" - A user is asking questions about your guide, I brought it here where I thought it should have been posted.

No more, no less.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

No idea about that lot, my posts here were on behalf of a new user at AFKMods posting in the wrong forum ( see post #388 ), I didn't know anything about any history that has passed before on the subject.

Why would I "care to provide the needed details" - A user is asking questions about your guide, I brought it here where I thought it should have been posted.

No more, no less.

Just making the note for posterity and not intending that you provide those details. This subject has come up over and over though, and I am hoping that the issue with DDF can be resolved with the help of onlookers ;)

Just to close the loop on DDF (to use or not to use), begin reading the thread on this very topic right here ... several subsequent posts establish that the issue is with vanilla and not DDF. DDF simply applied the decal fix without fixing other mesh problems related to vanilla lighting. USKP decal fixes apply both fixes (we assume). DDF fixes are still a "step up" from the originals, and since USKP will never address the 20 meshes in question, DDF remains a relevant fix.

Evidence as to relevance of DDF is in this post if Tech would re-source his image links (assets hosted by Imgur expire after a month or so, so don't use Imgur!)

Copy works to post images.

1. Go to the image in your Copy folder on your desktop.
  2. Right click the image and select Copy Actions->Copy Public Link
  3. Use the copied link for the image tag.

Sweet! I'll start using Copy instead of Imgur then. I'll be able to keep the images I post up permanently this way.

USKP (newest version) - Quest Fix

C00 - should be added to STEP Patch?

Yes, but it also should be in AMB content add on and EBQO updates. I'd really like if both were updated. The content add on is being worked on , but EBQO… well just keep bugging will.