STEP v2.2.9 Official Bug Reports

EssArrBee

No it's enabled by default, but I'm pretty sure AF is disabled with you disable the graphics modication (running only ENBoost). I'd have to verify that though.

EDIT:

Why are we providing the default INI as a reference? Seems like a maintenance nuisance because Boris changes the defaults from time to time with little notification and without updating versions.

No it's enabled by default, but I'm pretty sure AF is disabled with you disable the graphics modication (running only ENBoost). I'd have to verify that though.

Thanks!  ::):

As I said in my last note, I just checked the archive for 265, and it is disabled. The archive looks just like it does in the link I provided above

This is what I see:

[ENGINE]

ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true

MaxAnisotropy=16

As I said in my last note, I just checked the archive for 265, and it is disabled. The archive looks just like it does in the link I provided above

Do believe you need to read it again:

[ENGINE]

MaxAnisotropy=16

ForceLodBias=false

LodBias=0.0

AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

EnableVSync=false

VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

Also see my previous post.

EDIT:

Why are we providing the default INI as a reference? Seems like a maintenance nuisance because Boris changes the defaults from time to time with little notification and without updating versions.

Precisely because of the question posed just now ... if we provide only the settings we are asking users to change, then we need to define the INI that is expected (the default for a given release). This is the problem with only referencing certain tweaks ... we need to at least have some baseline.

Thanks!  ::):

This is what I see:

[ENGINE]

MaxAnisotropy=16

Doh! Sorry, was looking at wrong section ... [ANTIALIASING] :facepalm:

That's not what I found, TheDane. 

"Guide:ENBlocal INI/Engine"

says this: It's noted by Boris that it is best to force anisotropic filtering here instead of in the video card drivers. His reasoning behind this is because if forced through video card settings, the filtering will be applied to all textures and some textures should not be filtered. Filtering such textures could cause issues with SSAO and parallax. Forcing anisotropic filtering through the ENB; however, skips these textures. (This behavior has not been confirmed either way by STEP.)"

To me that says that STEP currently does not recommend either way, but does point out potential unconfirmed issues with doing it one way.  My take from reading this is that you do one or the other.  If you want to follow Boris's (the creator of ENB) advice, then force it through enblocal.ini.  If you want to be cautious, then do it through your video card driver.  I see nothing about doing it in both locations.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

That's not what I found, TheDane. 

"Guide:ENBlocal INI/Engine"

says this: It's noted by Boris that it is best to force anisotropic filtering here instead of in the video card drivers. His reasoning behind this is because if forced through video card settings, the filtering will be applied to all textures and some textures should not be filtered. Filtering such textures could cause issues with SSAO and parallax. Forcing anisotropic filtering through the ENB; however, skips these textures. (This behavior has not been confirmed either way by STEP.)"

To me that says that STEP currently does not recommend either way, but does point out potential unconfirmed issues with doing it one way.  My take from reading this is that you do one or the other.  If you want to follow Boris's (the creator of ENB) advice, then force it through enblocal.ini.  If you want to be cautious, then do it through your video card driver.  I see nothing about doing it in both locations.

There's two different recommendations. For ENBoost users, driver. For full ENB users, enblocal.ini.

After editing the guide or any SMW-dependent page, it is always a good idea to use the REFRESH option under PAGE TOOLS ... intuitively, saving should do the same, but saving does not invoke refresh of SMW data, IIRC.

Just saw this and need to chime in, as the above is not correct. For clarification, the sections missing that day was due to me rebuilding SMW data to fix some anomalies. That would have caused SMW data to disappear while the SMW data caches were being rebuilt, and the refresh of the guide had nothing to do with it showing correctly.

The REFRESH option (which performs a page purge) is also not required after saving a page. SMW data that is modified will also propagate to all queries the same way that editing a template will propagate the changes to all dependent pages. It can just take a little longer for updates to propagate to SMW queries.

Refreshing a page just for the sake of refreshing is not a valid recommendation. This is especially true for page edits, as the end result is the same, and constant refreshes only add to additional cpu cycles to rebuild caches when the Wiki is already doing this in the background. It can be used to force SMW query caches to be rebuilt when you are certain that dependent SMW data has changed, but in no way is it required.

I posted this question over at the enbdev forum: Link to post

According to Boris anisotropic filtering is forced when enabled in enblocal.ini regardless of "UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=" is set to "false" or "true".

I posted this question over at the enbdev forum: Link to post

According to Boris anisotropic filtering is forced when enabled in enblocal.ini regardless of "UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=" is set to "false" or "true".

Cool! Thanks for going out of the way to verify that. I'll update the recommendations.

EDIT:

I updated the recommendations on the Guides:

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9#1.E.1.2._Nvidia_Users

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector#Texture_Filtering

This will also impact the ENB guides (all of them I think), so I will take a look more carefully when I have some time.

@s4n

Thanks for clarifying that PAGE TOOLS > REFRESH should be used sparingly, and only when updating SMW components of the STEP Guide and Packs for the most part.