Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Hmm that FOOK optional looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.  Any other small texture/meshes that you use to supplement the guide?

I'm not sure if you were talking to just Jax or if anyone had any suggestions. I personally cannot play without these two replacers in combination: 

Smaller Holotapes

Holodisk Retexture

It always bothered me that the holotapes in the game were not only ugly, but they were huge. These two tiny mods fixes these issues. Now holotapes finally will fit in your Pip-Boy!

Hmm that FOOK optional looks interesting. I'm downloading it now.  Any other small texture/meshes that you use to supplement the guide?

Realistic World Map, which has a much higher resolution than the one included in the guide.

Shiloh Coloured Map, specifically for the modified map icons.

Shiloh Pipboy Screen, which makes the map a lot clearer.

CellHUD, for a nicer looking HUD.

Realistic Wasteland Lighting, which IMO looks far better than Nevada Skies, even though it lacks the various weather patterns implemented by that mod.

Mojave Sandy Desert, not lore-friendly but I really like how it looks, good if you're sick of looking at the comparatively drab Mojave sand on your millionth playthrough.

Caesar's New Regime, beefs up the Legion and adds a bunch of cool-looking armors.

Lonesome Road Marked Man Roberts Fix, makes the Marked Men compatible with Roberts so the textures don't screw up on them. I believe Nivea is working to implement this properly in the future. She also posted a fix for the extreme shininess on marked man skins caused by this mod, found in the posts section of the Roberts mod page.

Roberts and Type 3 sweaty skin (NSFW), makes the skins more sweaty, I think it looks pretty good and is suitable considering the hot climate.

IHWT, improves the textures for a bunch of weapons not covered by other mods.

XChainsaw, upgrades the chainsaw textures.

Better Authority Glasses, right what it says on the tin.

Something to note, I'd recommend placing the Ghouls Hires Texture mod below New Vegas Redesigned 3. NVR3 overwrites it, and the textures it uses are of a far lower quality.

I don't know if there are any Caravan lovers here, but haven't found the interest in it until I knew there are 5 whole decks to collect.
Since the guide also adds a Surprise Card restoration to the Sierra Madre vending machine, I thought it would be interesting to collect all the cards.
But there are so many, and you can't check your own cards for which you already have (unless I'm mistaken?).
Then I found Caravan Card Control, a (script) mod that tages any cards in containers / vendors menus as dupes if you already got them in your deck.

As a side note, do any of you guys know something of a "collector's type" house mod?
I know Mobile Base Truck as a Display Items option which displays some of the vanilla items.
And the famous Underwater Hideout and Underground Hideout have both weapon display walls and some completed quests decorations.
Most perfect for me, would be Legacy Of The Dragonborn for Skyrim, converted to something like"Courier's Notorious Past".

Edited by TDarkShadow

I did look at the holotape mesh before and didn't get it, but I think with that texture it helps it stand out still.  I've downloaded both. 

I use RWL and the XChainsaw, they're really nice.  I didn't see a areal improvement in Better Authority Glasses, and Caesar's new regime goes a bit too far for me.  It looks awesome, but feels off.

That Caravan Card Control looks interesting, I'll have to check that out.

Uncut Wasteland just got a large update adding back more components to the dam among other things.

Vanilla:

8Zym9ou.jpg

Main + newest optional:

ODGNLJN.jpg

Edited by Adonis_VII
  • +1 1

Now that FNVLODGen is released publicly on the nexus, people using it with with F&L should hide the following files in NMC with MO

• textures\landscape\nv_rocks\nv_rockcanyonblklod_d.dds (2k)
  • textures\landscape\nv_rocks\nv_rockcanyonlod_d.dds (2k)
  • textures\landscape\nv_rocks\nv_rockcanyonlod_n.dds (actually fine, but unneeded without the above texture)
  • textures\landscape\nv_rocks\nv_rockcanyonrdrklod_d.dds (is a normal map, not a diffuse, unless you want bright blue rocks)

EDIT: Ignore that, with the change to 2k texture limit catching and NMC LOD fix file this will probably no longer be needed

Edited by Adonis_VII

Is there anything btw we can help EssArrBee with while he is busy?

Like keeping a list with all the mods that are updated and aren't in the guide? (like the MNK-RHINO Gauss Revolver that now has a v5)

Well, I list all the version numbers in the guide so that wouldn't be to hard to obtain. It would just be a bit time consuming.

Anyone can actually take on changes to the guide. If you make a mistake all I have to do is roll back the change. That's the beautiful part about wikis. Also, if you aren't really into changing F&L then start with small stuff like corrections, updating instructions to the latest version of a mod, or correcting version numbers. It's an easy way to get into writing guides. As anyone works through it you'll start to see my style show through and it's very easy to copy since it's super plain. I do that on purpose so it's easy to understand and I can copy-paste the instructions and reuse them all over. This is how I train you to do complex modding tasks, by doing them over and over with simple instructions so that you could go on to apply them yourself elsewhere.

I only ask that bigger changes, instructions updates, or moving something around be documented in the changelog so I know what's going on. AND NO PRONOUNS!!! I, you, me, we, us... nope.

I want to take Nevada Skies and put it on a separate page with RWL and Project Reality. The idea is that you can pick one of the three based on preference and move on. I personally think all three amazing, but would see why one person might like one of the other. I don't want users to feel shoehorned into using Nevada Skies if they like a different mod because they are afraid to stray from the guide. Compatibility isn't as big an issue with the Bashed Patch.

I need to make an armor page like the additional weapons page. I have a short list, but haven't made anything yet. That might be more than most are capable of making, but I can do merging instructions if someone puts together and tests a list of cool armors, with F&L of course, testing them with vanilla does me no good.

FNVLODGen instructions are a must, but it won't be hard to do. Anyone that is smart enough to run the program should be able to come up with a list of instructions for it.

I want to make the my next run of big guide changes lead to what I would consider 1.0 of the guide. That means after I'm done, I'm done. The next version of the guide may be entirely different guide altogether. Something that is more of a specialized playstyle (survival or realism) than the one-size-fits-all approach that F&L has taken.

I'll be laying this stuff out as I get back into modding. Work and life are getting much slower, so I'm starting to get the will to start playing Skyrim and FNV again. 

I did look at the holotape mesh before and didn't get it, but I think with that texture it helps it stand out still.  I've downloaded both. 

I use RWL and the XChainsaw, they're really nice.  I didn't see a areal improvement in Better Authority Glasses, and Caesar's new regime goes a bit too far for me.  It looks awesome, but feels off.

That Caravan Card Control looks interesting, I'll have to check that out.

Uncut Wasteland just got a large update adding back more components to the dam among other things.

Vanilla:

8Zym9ou.jpg

Main + newest optional:

ODGNLJN.jpg

That's awesome.

I've added instructions for FNVLODGen. 

• I placed initial installation of the utility in the Utilities section. 
  • Under Setting up Mod Organizer I placed a note for the Arguments tab to have FNVLODGen output outside the virtual directory (I've had issues with it before, can be removed if the issues have been fixed)
  • I added a FNVLODGen section towards the end of the guide once all other esp and and mods have been installed.  This is where to load the LOD resources, NMC fix, and any other LOD meshes/texture in the future (you can change of course if you want I just thought here would be logical).  I added instructions for running FNVLODGen and installing the generated files.

Of course feel free to change/remove any of these changes if you'd like to do it differently.

Is there a way to disable certain weapons added by Project Nevada/WMX Modern Weapons? Some of them are made redundant due to the better quality versions provided by Millenia, so all they do is clog up the list of weapons. One particular weapon I recall is the Chinese Pistol added by PN, which is pointless because Millenia made a Mauser C96 that looks way better.

Edited by Jax765

I'm also thinking a lot about what plugins to dump. I think Mojave Nights is a good one. The only thing the plugin does is adjust the size of the moon, the rest of the mod is texture replacers. I think it'd be good to just leave the plugin out of it if possible by changing the installer options. Like for moon size choose default.