v2.2.9 Development

z929669

From the dropping of Vivid Landscapes mods I assume there will be no shadows/parallax ENB recommendation for STEP 2.2.9, is this correct? I think that excluding such an ENB is turning down a considerable improvement in visual quality that hasn't much to do with personal preferrence (arguably less then choices in color maps).

It is the AMB content addon - if people are running without problems, then they must have installed this.  It is currently not in the instructions, but the patch requires it.

The guide pulls install instructions from the mod pages, they are not hard coded to the guide. If we change the instructions for the mod then 2.2.8 will show that change as well. That is why we haven't added it yet. You can install the content add-on on top of the existing BoS files and then remove the plugins from BoS except the content addon.

From the dropping of Vivid Landscapes mods I assume there will be no shadows/parallax ENB recommendation for STEP 2.2.9, is this correct? I think that excluding such an ENB is turning down a considerable improvement in visual quality that hasn't much to do with personal preferrence (arguably less then choices in color maps).

Even if you turn off every effect except those two, there are still other shaders that get loaded. We need an expert ENB profiler?/maker dude to do some custom .fx files so none of the extra stuff still loads. That would be ideal and something we could probably do for 2.3.0 without affecting many other mods from packs. I wanted to do this for 2.2.8, but we just didn't have the man power since that release was done by mostly 3 people.

I would be for enabling this. I can set ENBoost to turn on the graphical part (and not just use the memory enhancement) and see little to no performance loss. I'm on a modern system, but from what I can tell the performance loss from do this with ENBoost is minimal. I don't know if this works for shadows; however, I can confirm it worked for parallax.

Another one to consider would be SSS. I think that is such an awesome effect. Really one works for skin and candles, but totally worth it.

EIDT: One other thing, it allows us to use a different AA method for users that don't want to use something as demanding as SSAA or MSAA. They can turn on the ENB AA or use the SMAA injector or even a SweetFX thing if they want.

The guide pulls install instructions from the mod pages, they are not hard coded to the guide. If we change the instructions for the mod then 2.2.8 will show that change as well. That is why we haven't added it yet. You can install the content add-on on top of the existing BoS files and then remove the plugins from BoS except the content addon.

Couldn't an alternate temporary mod page be copied directly from the original and then modified with the 2.2.9 specific instructions?  Then when 2.2.9 becomes official, the original mod page gets updated, the alternate gets deleted, and the guide points to the original mod page.  Would that work?  I realize that this may be the case with some other mod pages also - where 2.2.9 expects those mods to be installed a little differently, but I don't think they break the 2.2.9 installation like this one does.  Personally, I don't mind waiting.  I'm getting into Fallout New Vegas right now, using your most excellent Fear and Loathing in New Vegas guide.  ;)

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Couldn't an alternate temporary mod page be copied directly from the original and then modified with the 2.2.9 specific instructions?  Then when 2.2.9 becomes official, the original mod page gets updated, the alternate gets deleted, and the guide points to the original mod page.  Would that work?  I realize that this may be the case with some other mod pages also - where 2.2.9 expects those mods to be installed a little differently, but I don't think they break the 2.2.9 installation like this one does.  Personally, I don't mind waiting.  I'm getting into Fallout New Vegas right now, using your most excellent Fear and Loathing in New Vegas guide.  ;)

No support will be given to 2.2.9 unless you are beta testing it and have come across a real issue. Staff knows enough to get 2.2.9 working properly without the necessary changes to mod instructions, etc. If a user attempts this and is unable to get 2.2.9 to work properly without needing instructions then they should not be using 2.2.9. Plain and simple truth is, if you don't know enough to get 2.2.9 working then you don't know enough to be a beta tester and shouldn't be installing it.

Users should not be attempting the new version until its release unless they fully know what they are doing.

This.

Alright, so I'm doing a little addition to the STEP Patches. Basically, I want to now include a plugin that can be used by just about everyone. The only requirements are Skyrim, Dragonborn, and SMIM (only the meshes and stuff, no plugins, just disable them or hide them or delete them) or Skyrim, Hearthfire, Dragonborn, and SMIM (same thing no plugins).

This will allow people that don't use the STEP Patches to at least have something to reduce load order by about 9 plugins I believe.

• SMIM-FarmhouseFlickingFix.esp (not included in the plugin, but is included in Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp)
  • SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
  • SMIM-DragonbornTernFix.esp
  • SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp
  • SMIM-ShackRoofFixes.esp
  • SMIM-ShackRoofFixesDragonborn.esp
  • dD - No Spinning Death Animation.esp
  •   More Salt Please.esp (leveled list version of More Salt Please included, so mod isn't necessary anymore)
  • More Salt Please - Dragonborn addon.esp (same as above)
  • Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp

The HF version only forwards some stuff that increases compatibility. They are technically ITMs, but it will stop other mods from overwriting important records that HF needs.

I know a couple users that don't use the STEP Patches, so this will help them and also stop people from bothering me about removing dependencies from the STEP Patches. Anyways, if you don't use the STEP Patches, try one of these out and let me know if you like them: https://copy.com/Ci2RhL1XqSDj

P.S. Do not redistribute, point people to the link I posted since I have permission for using the SMIM plugins. Either that or point people to my github page.

Ew, I've just found out it doesn't play well with Wrye Bash. It throws an error about "unrecognized versions". No idea what that means, but I assume I don't want to create bashed patch with this floating around.

It shouldn't mess anything up, but you could get the latest version of those patches from my github page if you know where it is. I'm to lazy to link it with my phone. I changed the wrong version in the patch so it might mess up something but I doubt it.