v2.2.9 Development

z929669

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

None. There are several things we are hashing out. Some of which require learning new things for the Team as well. Things operate more organically around here instead of on a linear timeline and path so it could be next month...it could be 3 months.

I think me and Kelmych have figured out the major issue around MO and BSAs load order problem. I came up with a proposed solution and install order here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5033-ramifications-of-bsa-extraction-in-mod-organizer/page-4?do=findComment&comment=82145

We would have to change up the order of 2.D to make this work because the DLC would have to moved into their own mod folder in MO so they could be installed in the order their plugins are supposed to be ordered. The optimized textures can be put between the DLC and Patch so that the files overwrite correctly. It is a pretty simple solution and does not take much time. Only, thing to be aware of is verifying integrity of cache will redownload the DLC.

By the way, in my MO load following the mods you showed in your post I have the 3 optimized HRDLC archives and then the UHRP (installed without BSA extraction for consistency). I also have the cleaned version of Update.esm in a mod that loads before the ones in your list. The inclusion of cleaned update.esm in a mod, along with the mods listed in your post, should allow verifying cache integrity without causing a problem.

There are still issues on best practices with mods that have BSAs, and we might want to mention this in the guide. Tannin suggests that mods should be installed unextracted when possible. I optimize textures on all mods that I feel deserve it, especially mods with 2Kx2K exterior textures so I can reduce at least the exterior normal map sizes. Even with this I've seen GPUz report 3.8 Gb usage on my 4Gb VRAM card. I typically leave the resources as loose files when I optimize the textures in a mod, but sometimes I will rebuild the BSA if there is one (e.g., when needed for a FOMOD).