SSE & Modding - The early days

I hate the blur from TAA. I had just as good AA from SMAA in Skyrim. I have yet to try SMAA with SSE.

The mods not having the forwarded records is mostly due to users or author doing simple ports rather than taking the time to actually do a proper job with the port and releasing a quality product. I've been running into sine of this as well, and it sort of grinds my gears as an author myself.

The blur is annoying and has some interesting artifacts with flowing water(not specifically water flows). People complain about MSAA being too heavy and FXAA being generally terrible, there are not many options, SMAA is okay but is still post process which cant generate any new info but can only assume.

I read somewhere that downsampling helps and it definitely does, currently running at 2715x1527 but that doesnt leave a ton of headroom especially when using Verdant, I don't observe any noticeable hit with SFO.

Also, it seems like Bethsoft really lowered the lodbias because without a form of AA, the sparkling is horrific but I do wish there was TXAA(TAA+MSAA x4)

If you want a modified(a little more than just the ck) verdant plugin, shoot me a pm, you need to get the original assets of course.

The blur is annoying and has some interesting artifacts with flowing water(not specifically water flows). People complain about MSAA being too heavy and FXAA being generally terrible, there are not many options, SMAA is okay but is still post process which cant generate any new info but can only assume.

I read somewhere that downsampling helps and it definitely does, currently running at 2715x1527 but that doesnt leave a ton of headroom especially when using Verdant, I don't observe any noticeable hit with SFO.

Also, it seems like Bethsoft really lowered the lodbias because without a form of AA, the sparkling is horrific but I do wish there was TXAA(TAA+MSAA x4)

If you want a modified(a little more than just the ck) verdant plugin, shoot me a pm, you need to get the original assets of course.

I know I've heard other users having some issues with SMAA; however, my experience has always been golden. I never had any AA issues in Skyrim. SSE is the same, but that blur...I'd much rather have the sharpness.

Modified? Modified how? I like verdant for Skyrim, but I'm not sure I'd want to push it on SSE. I'm still running my GTX 760 and until now I've not had any reason to upgrade it.

I know I've heard other users having some issues with SMAA; however, my experience has always been golden. I never had any AA issues in Skyrim. SSE is the same, but that blur...I'd much rather have the sharpness.

Modified? Modified how? I like verdant for Skyrim, but I'm not sure I'd want to push it on SSE. I'm still running my GTX 760 and until now I've not had any reason to upgrade it.

Basically, cleaning up poor modding habits(land edits), forwarding necessary records(flows, landscape spec) and running through CK(kind of pointless in my opinion). 

Running this at 20 mingrasssize gets me like 30fps and is hilarious, 50 is much more reasonable for my card, but with a 760, does it struggle on ultra?

Saying it gives x percent hit, is not mathematically correct, nor is a percentage, finding an accurate number is complex.

I know I disabled TAA in Fallout 4 and used Reshade to apply SMAA and much prefer the result. TAA can cause some nasty flickering at times.

Did they ever fix that?

All forms have their downsides and for TAA its unwanted ghosting, but the ghosting is what makes it so good.

I don't notice any unwanted ghosting other than a slight blur when moving(really hard on my eyes) and the interesting artifacting of water effects

EDIT: Reshade 3.0 is really cool, everyone should give it a poke, 2.0 was god awful to use.

For Bioshock infinite I used the HDR, smaa, lumasharpen without touching the values and it worked great.

Well so far I've simply been letting GeForce Experience decide what it thinks the card can handle and it's mainly using a mix of settings. I play on Ultra in old Skyrim.

Here are the settings GE set as "Optimal":

64bit Render Targets: True

Actor Fade: 10.000

AA: TAA

Decal Quality: High

Display Mode: Full-screen

Distant Object Detail: High

Godrays Quality: Medium

Grass Fade: 5000

Item Fade: 10.000

Large Object Distance: 100%

Lens Flare: True

Object Detail Fade: Medium

Object Fade: 20.000

Precipitation Occlusion: True

Resolution: 1920x1080

SSAO: False

SSR: True

Shadow Distance: High

Shadow Quality: High

Snow Shader: True

I am wondering if anyone has made any reference guides to what can be used from the original Skyrim Nexus.

From what I am reading this is what I got so far.

Any plugins need to be run through the SSE creation kit for conversion (As shown in the video posted above).

How viable is this option for users? If I have a mod I want to use for SSE should I wait for it to be ported or is it possible to run it through the creation kit myself for personal use?

I imagine mods that use scripts (non-SKSE dependent) will need to be properly ported but I have heard a few people say Audio Overhaul 2 works

For non-plugin files:

Texture and mesh mods basically work but might look off.

Landscape textures need conversion because of some extra layer of some kind

Some people reported crashes with textures however (something to do with compression save type?), So as a user I am uncertain how to approach using texture mods from the original game

I am wondering if anyone has made any reference guides to what can be used from the original Skyrim Nexus.

From what I am reading this is what I got so far.

Any plugins need to be run through the SSE creation kit for conversion (As shown in the video posted above).

How viable is this option for users? If I have a mod I want to use for SSE should I wait for it to be ported or is it possible to run it through the creation kit myself for personal use?

I imagine mods that use scripts (non-SKSE dependent) will need to be properly ported but I have heard a few people say Audio Overhaul 2 works

For non-plugin files:

Texture and mesh mods basically work but might look off.

Landscape textures need conversion because of some extra layer of some kind

Some people reported crashes with textures however (something to do with compression save type?), So as a user I am uncertain how to approach using texture mods from the original game

there is this https://forum.step-project.com/topic/11535-srle-by-neovalen-list-of-mods-and-their-current-status-regarding-the-new-special-edition-official-release/

• +1 1

So after using wrye for a few weeks with my sort of hectic modding habits, I actually dig it. There are a few "issues" like deleting a mod before uninstalling it will result in the files being left behind.

My only real big complaint is that it cannot track mod updates which is frustrating.

The nexus gives all the required info in the mod archive filename, the mod id and the version.

Other than than one complaint, its pretty awesome, I do miss the manual trouble-free file manipulation outside mo.

Another nice addition in WB would be some sort of xml FOMOD handling because Im tired of authors doing a ridiculous amount of nesting with FOMODs, there are some packages that are 4-5 levels deep and are confusing even to me.

MO still has its benefits for absurd load orders with merging and inter dependencies, but for the time being WB is great.

Create BCF (BAIN conversion format) files to rearrange badly packed mods into clean and simple BAIN archives.

Once you "dig" Wrye Bash, you'll never go back to any other mod manager no matter what features they have. Insanely powerful mod files manager of WB paired with simplicity and unobtrusive interface (after you "dig" it) is just so convinient, especially if you are an experienced user and don't need fancy installation scripts anymore to guide you.

WB is a mod manager for people who know what they want from their game and how to get it.

Last time i used wrye as manager was on Oblivion, despite the first wrong impression i got it's not complicated and got used in few minutes. But it's not for everyone..casual NMM users will have hard times using it, hopefully the next NMM will be handy as MO was..at least that is my hope

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

So after using wrye for a few weeks with my sort of hectic modding habits, I actually dig it. There are a few "issues" like deleting a mod before uninstalling it will result in the files being left behind.

My only real big complaint is that it cannot track mod updates which is frustrating.

The nexus gives all the required info in the mod archive filename, the mod id and the version.

Other than than one complaint, its pretty awesome, I do miss the manual trouble-free file manipulation outside mo.

Another nice addition in WB would be some sort of xml FOMOD handling because Im tired of authors doing a ridiculous amount of nesting with FOMODs, there are some packages that are 4-5 levels deep and are confusing even to me.

MO still has its benefits for absurd load orders with merging and inter dependencies, but for the time being WB is great.

For FOMOD's I have been downloading them in NMM to pick all my options and then uninstall. I then head over to the "VirtualInstall" inside NMM and find the mod and copy it into an archive for Bash to use.

Edited by TehKaoZ
  • +1 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Use.