Not So Fast - Main Quest (by cdcooley)

WilliamImm

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to update this to support the Requiem reward of 4 potions from Balgruuf. Since I think that would be much more appropriate for unarmored mage characters does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to decide if a character is a "pure" mage who would prefer the potions to a piece of armor? Or should I include an MCM option for deciding which reward the player gets?

I don't use any overhauls myself but gooselee asked to upload a compatibility patch for Requiem and I realized that I could build in the support directly. And after seeing that the reward is just 4 reasonably high-end potions from the original game (but altered by Requiem itself to be really high-end potions) I decided that I could fix another little thing that's bugged me. Balgruuf always ends up giving me two items of heavy armor and I have no use for those.

After some testing I decided to give potions to characters who have higher Alteration skill than either of the two armor skills by default. And there's an MCM setting allowing the player to choose to give every character the potions (like Requiem) or to always give armor (like the original game).

Balgruuf still gives an item of armor for the first reward after you tell him about Helgen, but then gives the potions just before sending you off the the watchtower. Now I can roleplay that someone in his court tactfully explained that giving heavy armor to a mage was really not an appropriate gift. :)

The "Potions for Mages" is the default now, but if I get lots of complaints I might switch it to "Always Armor" like the original game. Potentially the racial bonuses for Altmer, Bretons, and Redguards could end up giving potions to someone who intends to use armor but hasn't had enough time to develop that skill. Of course since the entire point of this mod is to slow down the pace, they should have had time to raise a few ranks in the armor skills and even if they don't the potions are still useful for anyone.

Sorry, I understand the appeal of FISS (I was even the one who added rudimentary support for file I/O for MWSE), but this particular mod only has 4 things that can be configured so it's really not worth it to me. And my other mods are all similar with just a few settings each.

If the SKSE team itself had added some form of file I/O early in the development cycle I might have considered using it, but introducing features which only work for people who also have a particular SKSE plugin (and there are now multiple plugins that support file I/O) isn't something that interests me.

I have chosen a different strategy. Users can configure my mods with console commands and not even need SKSE or the MCM. That also means they can create and run a single BAT file to set any global configurations they might want to make across characters for my various mods. And the appropriate settings are documented in the ReadMe for each mod.

Edited by cdcooley

I wish you had mentioned the tag just before I uploaded it. :) Is there an actual functional patcher that uses it at this point or are you thinking of the future? I really hate doing multiple releases.

The only record I can see that would be affected is the note from Delphine and frankly if my changes to the contents of the note get overwritten then I really don't see a point in keeping the name change either. That would just be a minor mod conflict and it's going to be confusing/annoying no matter what.