Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

..and why is that? it's not a requirement to use ugridstoload 15, it's just what i happen to use. It's also an alpha which means performance hasnt been prioritized.

Edited by vurt

..and why is that? it's not a requirement to use ugridstoload 15, it's just what i happen to use. It's also an alpha which means performance hasnt been prioritized.

Oh. I must have misunderstood. I thought you were designing 2.0 to require ugrids 15 to load in order to achieve the look you want. I thought you said you weren't making regular LOD textures for it or something. My fault if I misunderstood.

Regarding uGrids: With ENBoost and the new memory patch, uGrids 15 or higher is pretty viable on most modern machines, so that is not an issue at all. What IS an issue is that if you are playing uGrids 9 or greater with things like requiem, SkyTest, Immersive Creatures and other NPS script add-ons (a generally heavily-scripted game), you WILL get things like saber cats and elk just standing around looking at you until you smack them. Also, enemy NPCs will just stand there until you attack them.

Basically, the script limit is reached with heavily-scripted game, and NPC behaviors are all wrong. This starts at uGrids 9, but it may be possible to go as high as uGrids 11 or even 13 with STEP setup (I have not tested scripted behavior for pure STEP at high uGrids for any extended period).

There is nothing 'dangerous' about high uGrids anymore, but it could be a gamplay 'killer' with respect to 'immersion'. It would be great to get confirmation of NPC behaviors at high uGrids to better understand the limits with STEP:Core at least. Then we could suggest higher uGrids as an option in the guide and also recommend whichever Vurt's looks best at various uGrids.

That those are the two example I can think off all the top of my head. When doing the quest or event about killing a Giant, it completely automatically without you doing anything. The other is what Z mentioned. At high uGrids, (and is an engine limitation is my understanding) if you get too many NPC and creatures loaded you'll run into what Z describes which isn't game breaking but definitely immersion breaking when you have bandits just staring at you like they're idiots. This has something to do the a limitation of the engine only being able to have so many creatures/NPCs active at one given time. This would also happen with uGrid of 5 if you manually loaded too many hostiles at once. I couldn't find a youtube video but here is the thread: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/4185-enemiesfollowers-not-attacking/

EDIT:

Read your guide for uGrids. It's basically the same thing as we're doing with STEP, but I use SKSE 1.7 alpha instead of SSME. Works the same. So, yes, with this uGrids should be stable if the system can handle it. I think I'll personally set mine to 7 and start from there. The only way to know what is truly affected by the higher uGrid is to play the game through.

yes, but you can still continue the game, its not a main quest that will break your game. Heh, is he following my guide there? Didnt watch the whole thing, seems like he's stress testing the same way i advice on my page :) Its a good way to test for stability problems..

That second glitch is from using TCL.. It often causes NPC's to get stuck, that is what happened there, but with a dragon. Seen it hundreds of times since i use TCL almost 90% of the time (to check my mod).

Edited by vurt

Not sure if this is the right topic to post this but, oh well.

My new rig arrived, and I'm currently installing STEP. Step suggests installing the basic version of SFO but I really like the features of the Regular version. Is there going to be any issue with me installing that?

Not sure if this is the right topic to post this but, oh well.

My new rig arrived, and I'm currently installing STEP. Step suggests installing the basic version of SFO but I really like the features of the Regular version. Is there going to be any issue with me installing that?

Not really. Maybe a slight fps decrease. If you use any non-STEP LOD mods, it could cause problems with the regular version. I use the Regular Version as I think it adds WAY more content than the Basic Version. Just make sure if you use any mods like 'Skyrim Bigger Trees', that you INSTALL that BEFORE Skyrim Flora Overhaul. BOSS will sort the plugins correctly so don't worry about that. 

• +1 1

Not really. Maybe a slight fps decrease. If you use any non-STEP LOD mods, it could cause problems with the regular version. I use the Regular Version as I think it adds WAY more content than the Basic Version. Just make sure if you use any mods like 'Skyrim Bigger Trees', that you INSTALL that BEFORE Skyrim Flora Overhaul. BOSS will sort the plugins correctly so don't worry about that. 

Well, I have a very good rig and wanted to push it. As for other graphical mods, I doubt I'm going to add anything other than STEP and even if I do, it won't be flora related. Anyways, thanks for your answer.

EDIT: Oh I will be using an ENB, does the regular version interact in a bad way? Perhaps that's why the basic is suggested? 

Edited by Marthenil

Not sure if this is the right topic to post this but, oh well.My new rig arrived, and I'm currently installing STEP. Step suggests installing the basic version of SFO but I really like the features of the Regular version. Is there going to be any issue with me installing that?

The STEP guide should mainly serve as a guideline for modding, it's not set in stone, and there are some mods that you can remove altogether, as long as you make sure you don't have any patches that depend on them (The game wouldn't start if you did)In this case, you're perfectly safe to uninstall or install another version of SFO since none of the patches rely on it.

The STEP guide should mainly serve as a guideline for modding, it's not set in stone, and there are some mods that you can remove altogether, as long as you make sure you don't have any patches that depend on them (The game wouldn't start if you did)In this case, you're perfectly safe to uninstall or install another version of SFO since none of the patches rely on it.

I know, but I wasn't entirely sure if there were any texture inconsistencies or anything of the sort by me changing that.