Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

So can I conclude from this, that in all instances the meshes and textures from IHWT are to be preferred over any other mod?

If an elegant way was found to install those assets, IHWT would be used?

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% sure that IHWT would be preferred. I tested that a while back and remember liking it quite a bit. I just didn't like the installation instructions. I hate anything that has to be done out side of the standard tools. When it's done in regular folders people tend to do their own thing which leads to unforeseen mistakes. A simpler way would be welcome for sure.

Actually, if someone would just make a WMX compatible version and give it to Taurus to upload to his page that would be optimal.

I got a question about "ILO - Merged Patches". ILO - NVInteriors Project.esp is merged into this patch and LOOT reports that the esp needs some bashtags: C.ImageSpace,
C.Light, C.LTemplate, C.Owner. Should this bashtags be included too? :blush:

Hey Ess... going back to FNV and trying to get your guide installed, but having issues. Have followed it up to the point of cleaning the Beth files and tried loading the game through the 4GB loader as directed to be sure of the game and got immidiate CTD with the "stopped working" message. Tried it vanilla through steam and no issues. Ideas?

EDIT: Read ahead a bit, then put in the Fixes portion. Now it's just black screen-ing. I guess this is better... slightly.

Edited by Shadriss

One issue I had initially when I was following the guide over the last couple of weeks Shadriss is in the Archives tab of MO, the "Have MO manage archives" box needs to be checked along with all the archives that have check boxes.

OK so what I ended up doing was installing both IHWT and WMX in a blank profile with NMM, then ran the .bat file, and then deleted all files except the ones the .bat file modified. Installs ok in MO and seems to properly overwrite waht it should in WMX, but I haven't been able to test it in game yet. It's here if anyone wants to try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr4j842aaf2hulb/IHWT-WMX.rar?dl=0. feel free to add it to the guide if you'd like SRB, although you might want to mirror the file since I doubt dropbox can take a lot of traffic XD. If it works I'll message Taurus and offer it to him if he wants to upload it to nexus.

Oh one more thing. RFO already includes a retexture of the holorifle. Is the Half-Hansified one better?

Edited by MosAnted

OK so what I ended up doing was installing both IHWT and WMX in a blank profile with NMM, then ran the .bat file, and then deleted all files except the ones the .bat file modified. Installs ok in MO and seems to properly overwrite waht it should in WMX, but I haven't been able to test it in game yet. It's here if anyone wants to try it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr4j842aaf2hulb/IHWT-WMX.rar?dl=0. feel free to add it to the guide if you'd like SRB, although you might want to mirror the file since I doubt dropbox can take a lot of traffic XD. If it works I'll message Taurus and offer it to him if he wants to upload it to nexus.

Oh one more thing. RFO already includes a retexture of the holorifle. Is the Half-Hansified one better?

Han is Millenia's real name, I believe. It applies his texture to the holorifle from WRP.

I'll look at the file tomorrow maybe.

What is counted in the active plugin count.  The reason I ask is after doing FL:NV and awop, monster mod and UHNV i have 143 active plugins and debating if I should merge a couple of esp's or just get rid of a couple.

Edit: I think I might have found about 8 esp's to merge they are all in the Additional Gameplay section and only have FalloutNV.esm as a master would they be alright to merge

Edit 2: I lied only 5 are just FalloutNV.esm and 2 are the Courier Stash Intergration that adds 2 eps's

Edited by Tirencia

I got a question about "ILO - Merged Patches". ILO - NVInteriors Project.esp is merged into this patch and LOOT reports that the esp needs some bashtags: C.ImageSpace,

And for that matter, is this something we should be watching for whenever we create a Merge Script plugin?

Second, I've always assumed that we need to sort with LOOT prior to initiating the merge, so that the resulting merged file keeps the last entry from each record.  Does it do it in a way so that if Mod A changes a record from vanilla, and Mod B uses the vanilla record, that when combined, the Mod A change is kept even though the Mod B record was lower in the load order prior to merge?

The ImageSpace and LTemplate are only for the beta version of Wrye Flash that is not ready for use right now. The other two may be applied. I haven't gone over the bash tags for merging those plugins since the update to ILO.

And for that matter, is this something we should be watching for whenever we create a Merge Script plugin?

Second, I've always assumed that we need to sort with LOOT prior to initiating the merge, so that the resulting merged file keeps the last entry from each record.  Does it do it in a way so that if Mod A changes a record from vanilla, and Mod B uses the vanilla record, that when combined, the Mod A change is kept even though the Mod B record was lower in the load order prior to merge?

Most of the merges in the guide, order doesn't matter. The only thing would be if one mod required another as a master. I think only the PN patch for the Scorched Helmet in the Yuki section is the only one. 

Found a solution for the framerate drop caused by the Crossbow mod: there is no need to remove the entire worldspace record from the mod to avoid the framerate drop, you just have to remove the subrecord for the container in goodsprings (is called DasContainer if i remember correctly) and the relative reference into the FormID record. This way you just remove the weapon from Goodsprings without touching the record that is used as reference for the script.

As far as I can tell, this worked.  These instructions mention removing the FormID reference, but in this case there wasn't a FormID List record that had to be removed.  As opposed to SRB's instructions for removing the weapon caches for the additional weapons merging instructions, I could not find any "Error: Could not be resolved" lines of data to remove.

Is it somewhat normal for textures to bug out after playing for a while?  My game runs great but sometimes I'll eventually get the red block with a white exclamation point in it or flickering textures on surfaces that a quick save and close/open of the game fixes.  

Not sure if that is indicative of my LOD gen being messed up, the texture optimization or an actual issue with mods.  It isn't really a huge issue.

During my playthrough I've been filling time between pursuing the main quests with some of the New Vegas Bounties and I've just now completed the Mago quest with the bunker near the Mojave Outpost.

Does anyone else consider that to be a pretty bugged and lame quest?

I have Veronica, Cass and Ed-E with me and although I didn't eat any of the offered food, I apparently somehow was drugged, stripped and placed in a cell although my companions are still fully armed and ready to take out anyone. Then after finding a bobby pin in the body beside me, (really? c'mon there must be a better way to progress the story than providing tools needed right beside the player) I simply picked the lock, Mago becomes hostile and my girls blow his brains out.

If you're going to allow companions in the cell can't they also be restricted? If not, bar them from entering the bunker.

Maybe it's just this one quest, all the rest have been alright I guess, I could take them or leave them. 

Are the second series of bounties any better?