xLODGen Terrain Settings Compare

z929669

I believe xLODGen works just fine with SLE, but you should check the topic on sheson's forums to be sure.

Terrain LOD just isn't very exciting. It more fixes potential issues than it does improve upon the landscape. Color and meshes are more accurate. Use a good grass mod and then run DynDOLOD before you judge.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our xLODGen instructions have mipmaps created for lod4 and lod32, but not for lod8 or lod16. I propose we use mipmaps for all of these. This will increase vram slightly (not really much at these texture sizes) but could improve performance if I understand how mipmaps work correctly.

It may be good to test this at some point, but I should think we should have it all one way or the other.

Also, we could lower the default Diffuse and Normal texture sizes. These sizes are used when the texture has a single color, solid dirt for diffuse, solid green for normal, so a lower texture size would be free vram. Just lower it to vanilla default of 128 I'd say, although lower really shouldn't affect I should think.

Edit:

Actually, reading through some of the testing here, it seems we shouldn't be using mipmaps at all? If so, we should simply revise the LOD4 and LOD32 images accordingly.

5 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Our xLODGen instructions have mipmaps created for lod4 and lod32, but not for lod8 or lod16. I propose we use mipmaps for all of these. This will increase vram slightly (not really much at these texture sizes) but could improve performance if I understand how mipmaps work correctly.

It may be good to test this at some point, but I should think we should have it all one way or the other.

Also, we could lower the default Diffuse and Normal texture sizes. These sizes are used when the texture has a single color, solid dirt for diffuse, solid green for normal, so a lower texture size would be free vram. Just lower it to vanilla default of 128 I'd say, although lower really shouldn't affect I should think.

Edit:

Actually, reading through some of the testing here, it seems we shouldn't be using mipmaps at all? If so, we should simply revise the LOD4 and LOD32 images accordingly.

I think we could leave it on LOD4 with raise steepness but omit it from the rest ... otherwise agree it is mostly redundant everywhere and can be removed entirely.

• 5 months later...

I propose we change from BC7 Max to BC7 Quick. There is no noticeable difference for LOD, and BC7 Quick generated 50% faster for me (28 minutes versus 47 minutes).

Edit: Nevermind. I'm tired. Appears we already did that and I just never changed the settings on my side. :doh:

On 8/20/2022 at 5:28 AM, DoubleYou said:

I propose we change from BC7 Max to BC7 Quick. There is no noticeable difference for LOD, and BC7 Quick generated 50% faster for me (28 minutes versus 47 minutes).

Edit: Nevermind. I'm tired. Appears we already did that and I just never changed the settings on my side. :doh:

Yeah, this topic is a bit out of date and should be unpinned.

Unpinned

• 1 year later...