Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I use RWL with the base ENB configuration files and have pretty good results.  Might look at switching to Enhanced Shaders or something like that.  I'll have to post some pictures later once I'm back to my computer, but the visuals look good and similar to Fallout 4(ish).

I definitely felt like things were more washed out when I enabled RWL vice NS but I think NS was one of the things causing me CTDs and it had to go. :\  Were you disabling storms for the same reason or just for FPS?  

FPS reasons, and also because I felt the storms didn't make any sense.  Rain in a desert?  Radiation storms that only affect the player?  Major sandstorms in the wrong type of desert that leave no indication in the scenery that they occur?  The storms didn't fit the game.

I use RWL with the base ENB configuration files and have pretty good results.  Might look at switching to Enhanced Shaders or something like that.  I'll have to post some pictures later once I'm back to my computer, but the visuals look good and similar to Fallout 4(ish).

I won't use ENB for FPS/stutter reasons.

IMO while I like the idea of NS I don't think it fits the game, not to mention the storms caused my FPS to tank to an unplayable level. While RWL on the other hand does make the mojave feel more sun baked, which i feel fits much better to what that sort of setting would be like, very bright days, and dark star lit nights. And even though i have never been to nevada, i do live in florida, and I can tell you that during summer, you need yourself a pair of sunglasses, even the refraction from the sidewalks make you squint, so i can only imagine what its like in the mojave.

Edit- and oh I use Overgrowth ENB just to drive home the bright washed out desert feel.

Edited by predator42393n

Well, I don't live in the Mojave, but I do live in the Chihuahuan Desert. It's bright and vibrant some days, like NS, but other days it's crappy and all dusty like RWL. It does rain in the desert too, we aren't the Sahara. There's tons of plant, bug, and animal life. The southwestern US and northern Mexico deserts have the second highest plant density only behind the rainforest. Our rainfall is 10-11 inches a year and the Mojave is probably 1-2 inches less. Problem with RWL is that it needs about 5-6 more weather types. Add in a little rain shower that can spawn every 25-30 days and only come down for about 20 minutes before the Sun comes back out. Those big giant dust storms actually happen more often in the plains region around Lubbock, TX. The Mountains block that type of storm in most the deserts of the Southwest.

Anyways, no one wears sunglasses because no one goes outside. The sidewalk is so hot you can cook on it. We only go outside to swim for an hour. 

More weapon suggestions: MTindle's mods look really nice and have proper leveled list integration: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/users/2680500/?tb=mods&pUp=1

I have one of his mods in the guide already. He makes good stuff.

With all the weapons in Doc's house I just show a little restraint. I usually only take the sniper rifle that's in the locked box next to the saloon (cause it takes a little work to have enough lockpick to open it early on) and maybe the Deagle or the Steyr Scout depending. It would be nice to walk around so tooled up that you could take on an army, but probably not quite realistic.

With all the weapons in Doc's house I just show a little restraint. I usually only take the sniper rifle that's in the locked box next to the saloon (cause it takes a little work to have enough lockpick to open it early on) and maybe the Deagle or the Steyr Scout depending. It would be nice to walk around so tooled up that you could take on an army, but probably not quite realistic.

Thing is I 'd prefer if they were better integrated into the game via leveled lists so I could see enemies wiedling them and looting them up afterwards rather than just dumping them inside a container/house. A big part of the appeal of bethesda open world games is the way they handle loot via lists: you never know what you'll find! reminds me of D&D :)

• +1 1

The biggest reason why I disable the storms, or will uninstall NS, is because of the jarring change in weather systems on worldspace loads.

Moving through New Vegas towards The strip you have to go through a few doors and to step from bright blue skies to a radiation storm, then run to far gate and step again into blue skies is very game-breaking.

I'm a bit confused regarding FCO/NVR3. Is there a particular reason why you leave the FCO plugins enabled and do the FNVEdit edits, instead of disabling them like the NVR3 author instructs?

More races at character creation. FCO's OWB NPCs.

Problem with RWL is that it needs about 5-6 more weather types. Add in a little rain shower that can spawn every 25-30 days and only come down for about 20 minutes before the Sun comes back out. Those big giant dust storms actually happen more often in the plains region around Lubbock, TX. The Mountains block that type of storm in most the deserts of the Southwest.

The Enhanced version of RWL that I've been using adds in some of those weather types based on where in the game you are which is really nice.  It's development has been paused lately due to Witcher 3 and GTA V.  I'm not sure unfortunately if it'll get a NV only release though.

The biggest reason why I disable the storms, or will uninstall NS, is because of the jarring change in weather systems on worldspace loads.

Moving through New Vegas towards The strip you have to go through a few doors and to step from bright blue skies to a radiation storm, then run to far gate and step again into blue skies is very game-breaking.

New updates with JIP allows better weather state tracking and control so that it can persist through multiple loading.  RWL will get the capability, I don't know about NS (don't talk to the devs of that one).

Anyone know why NS (with storms disabled) gets much better FPS than RWL?  In a lot of places FPS with RWL installed is actually about 5 FPS lower than NS in the same spot of the game - visibly jarring.  I hear a big "plus" to RWL is that FPS is supposed to be better.  On the mod's Nexus page, it even sounds like the FPS of the mod is supposed to be better than vanilla weather.  In my experience, this is not the case...

Anyone know why NS (with storms disabled) gets much better FPS than RWL?  In a lot of places FPS with RWL installed is actually about 5 FPS lower than NS in the same spot of the game - visibly jarring.  I hear a big "plus" to RWL is that FPS is supposed to be better.  On the mod's Nexus page, it even sounds like the FPS of the mod is supposed to be better than vanilla weather.  In my experience, this is not the case...

I have the same issue. My FPS can actually be worse in some places with RWL than with an ENB or NS. This is the reason why I have been sticking to ENB's to change the lighting. I just have had issues with both NS and RWL. Shame that there aren't more weather mods for New Vegas. I would try Fellout or Project Reality but neither have been updated in years and don't cover the DLC. :\