Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

hi i am trying to install holster unequip kf 1_2a but i not unnderstand the data structure the instructions arn't clear and dont make sense.

During install the file is not setup for the FNV folder structure so you have to create it in the MO installer. The instructions are telling you create three folders, "_male", "characters", and "meshes". Then drag the file with extension .hk into "_male" folder. Drag the "_male" folder into the "Character" folder and the "character" folder into the "meshes" folder. That will create the correct folders for the game. The author was just inconsiderate when he packaged the mod.

Ah... I didn't look that far into it. My bad.

During the merge I get a dialog pop up that says some records didn't get copied. 

So I saw WorriedWalrus uploaded Optimized Textures for FNV and FO3 that you commented on.  Did you by chance have a look at the actual files?

I didn't yet, but I will. You know the nexus takes forever to upload stuff especially large files, so I gotta wait on the guy to finish uploading everything.

I could kinda teach you how to disable them, but it's going to be a bit of work if there are more than a couple weapons you want to disable.

I'm also now done with Millenia's weapons page. No major changes, just added the last three weapons and updated to the latest merge script. Much easier than the others.

Sure, could you show me how to disable the Chinese Pistol? That's one that sticks out particularly, so I'd just want to remove it from leveled lists so it never appears in the game.

Also with regards to Yukichigai's fixes, is it possible to merge an already-merged ESP with another ESP? You added a new mod to that section of the guide (for companion levels), so I'd like to know if I have to merge all the mods together at once, or if I can just add this new mod to the merged ESP via FNVEdit.

Edited by Jax765
  • +1 2

Ok awesome. Thanks.

Also I'm getting delays when opening containers or even the main menu. It seems to get worse the longer the game goes on. If I reload a save it resets itself and starts getting longer and longer again. Nothing game breaking but is there but is there something I should be doing to fix it? Thanks!

Sure, could you show me how to disable the Chinese Pistol? That's one that sticks out particularly, so I'd just want to remove it from leveled lists so it never appears in the game.

Also with regards to Yukichigai's fixes, is it possible to merge an already-merged ESP with another ESP? You added a new mod to that section of the guide (for companion levels), so I'd like to know if I have to merge all the mods together at once, or if I can just add this new mod to the merged ESP via FNVEdit.

You can merge it to the already merged mod. I don't think it will mess up anything you may have in your inventory since it probably won't renumber those FormIDs.

1. Open PN-Equipment in FNVEdit.
  2. In the FormID field enter 0016BB3A.
  3. Find the Leveled List Entry with PNxEWithAmmoChinesePistolLoot [LVLI:020024FA], right click the row across from the Leveled List Entry and select remove.
  4. Repeat 2 and 3 for: 000FD574, 000CEAB5, 0011F52C, 00031C4C, 000681E1, 0012D518, 00152DFA, 0016BABD, 0016BABE, 0016BACA, 0016BB3A, 0016C405, and 0016C406.
  5. Delete PNxEVendorMickChinesePistol [LVLI:0200724D] from record 0012791C
  6. Delete PNxEWeapChinesePistol "Chinese Pistol" [WEAP:02004325] from record 0014DE57

I think that is all of them. The basic idea is to find the entries in the leveled lists of the PN - Equipment ESM and delete anything that says Chinese Pistol. Apply the same logic just about anything else. Most Project Nevada records follow a naming convention for their Editor IDs. PNxE where PN is project nevada, the x is just a spacer, and the E is for equipment. The is R for Rebalance, C for Cyberware... pretty easy to spot their stuff.

Ok awesome. Thanks.

Also I'm getting delays when opening containers or even the main menu. It seems to get worse the longer the game goes on. If I reload a save it resets itself and starts getting longer and longer again. Nothing game breaking but is there but is there something I should be doing to fix it? Thanks!

Try finishing a few quests without starting any new ones. What happens is the background scripts that running start to bog down the engine. Quest scripts are the easiest to stop from executing since all you have to do is finish current quests without starting any new ones. 

So i've decided to go down the New Vegas modding rabbit hole again and am excited to have found a STEP-like guide for it. Just wondering EssArrBee, is this a good time to jump into it? Or are you going to be making any drastic changes anytime soon? Keep up the good work!

• +1 1

So i've decided to go down the New Vegas modding rabbit hole again and am excited to have found a STEP-like guide for it. Just wondering EssArrBee, is this a good time to jump into it? Or are you going to be making any drastic changes anytime soon? Keep up the good work!

Well, I've gotten most the guide up to date this week. I'd say the guide is more SRLE-like than STEP-like. There are quite a few additional procedures to F&L like using FNVEdit for a bunch of stuff.

For the rest of the summer I'll probably be redoing some stuff and adding some supplemental pages. I haven't really figured it all out yet.

There is no reason that you cannot do the guide right now though. Even with the changes I make, most will probably end up on optional pages instead of the actual guide. For example, I'm going to a recommended armor page like I have for weapons. I may also do a page that de-levels a lot of weapons and armor mods so they end up being unique and hidden throughout the game. As for the actual guide, a few mods are getting the axe and few are getting added. Most of what I want to add in the short term will be mods that can be added at anytime without having to worry about messing saves or anything else, like simple texture replacer mods.

Thanks for the help on weapons, going to try that out later on. BTW, speaking of plugins, if I was to install TTW, how many mods added via this guide do you reckon I'd need to remove to avoid reaching the ESP limit?

• +1 1

Thanks for the help on weapons, going to try that out later on. BTW, speaking of plugins, if I was to install TTW, how many mods added via this guide do you reckon I'd need to remove to avoid reaching the ESP limit?

I'd go look at the list Adonis put up on wiki page. https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Adonis_VII/TTW

It's not so much a complete guide though, but something you may look at to know where to start. Right off the bat a bunch of mods would have to dropped for there TTW versions. FO3 has 5 or 6 of it's own plugins too, so that means you need to consider having that many more of the vanilla stuff, plus TTW has a couple. Also, you'll need the vanilla ESMs again because with TTW you don't want to clean them.

Well, I've gotten most the guide up to date this week. I'd say the guide is more SRLE-like than STEP-like. There are quite a few additional procedures to F&L like using FNVEdit for a bunch of stuff.

For the rest of the summer I'll probably be redoing some stuff and adding some supplemental pages. I haven't really figured it all out yet.

There is no reason that you cannot do the guide right now though. Even with the changes I make, most will probably end up on optional pages instead of the actual guide. For example, I'm going to a recommended armor page like I have for weapons. I may also do a page that de-levels a lot of weapons and armor mods so they end up being unique and hidden throughout the game. As for the actual guide, a few mods are getting the axe and few are getting added. Most of what I want to add in the short term will be mods that can be added at anytime without having to worry about messing saves or anything else, like simple texture replacer mods.

Thanks for the quick reply! Guess i'll get started.

I'd go look at the list Adonis put up on wiki page. https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Adonis_VII/TTW

It's not so much a complete guide though, but something you may look at to know where to start. Right off the bat a bunch of mods would have to dropped for there TTW versions. FO3 has 5 or 6 of it's own plugins too, so that means you need to consider having that many more of the vanilla stuff, plus TTW has a couple. Also, you'll need the vanilla ESMs again because with TTW you don't want to clean them.

Yea, definitely not complete.  It's more showing progress of working with some of the Devs on patchings things for TTW as opposed to complete start to finish setup.  I do want to take it there, but things can be slow with RL.

Edited by Adonis_VII
  • +1 2

During install the file is not setup for the FNV folder structure so you have to create it in the MO installer. The instructions are telling you create three folders, "_male", "characters", and "meshes". Then drag the file with extension .hk into "_male" folder. Drag the "_male" folder into the "Character" folder and the "character" folder into the "meshes" folder. That will create the correct folders for the game. The author was just inconsiderate when he packaged the mod.

I realised I had never installed this mod so I hadn't actually read the instructions. I can see why newer users might be confused so I 'tweaked' them a little to try and fix that.

I think I might go through and add a link(s) to the MO guide about how to use manual install so the guide can just say "use MO's manual install" and the link can show the 'nitty-gritty' if needed.

I'm betting this qualifies as a stupid question, but I guess I'll ask anyway. Have you considered including Mojave Music Radio - Extended (either in addition to or instead of CONELRAD)? I like it since it doesn't actually add any radio stations, but increases the variety; you'll still hear those spurs go jingle jangle jingle occasionally, but it will no longer dominate the world at large. I'd also be interested in World of Pain, though I can understand if you think it deviates too much from the core experience (there's some NICE stuff available VERY early if you use it and you know where to look). If nothing else, a clue as to where to install it in the load order would be nice; I'm tempted to put it in right after the uncut content.

A thought I had, also, that's probably common sense to experienced modders, is that you should really have a Happy Place folder where you've compressed the vanilla game folder so you have a way to take off and nuke the site from orbit without waiting 4-6 business days for the game to redownload.

I'm also wondering if doing texture optimization of the vanilla game could be done right at the beginning of the guide, right after you set MO up with the tools. I realize it's a bit of a process, but I don't think people would be frightened away quite so easily if you told them something on the order of "All this setup is hard, but it's also the hardest part of this guide to follow, and where most people mess up. If you do all of this correctly, the rest of this guide will be cake."

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: changed the links to work properly, apparently nexus' provider doesn't like https

Edited by RagnorakTres

During the merge I get a dialog pop up that says some records didn't get copied. 

Perhaps I was not paying attention, but I don't recall seeing any popup saying that when I merged them...

I'd also be interested in World of Pain, though I can understand if you think it deviates too much from the core experience (there's some NICE stuff available VERY early if you use it and you know where to look).

I'm pretty sure there is a version or a patch that gets rid of the ridiculously powerful weapons from the mod. I'd be keen for that version to make it in to F&LNV, mostly because the wasteland is a bit too wasteland in NV. The trouble is, there are a LOT of patches for it to work alongside other mods that are going to run up the ESP count.

So the nvse_config.ini is giving me headaches. If I try to use the values from the guide, I get the following error (ripped straight from the nvse_steam_loader.log file; starting on line 25 and continuing through 33, when it crashes)

dll = E:\File System\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\nvse_1_4.dll
old winmain = 0086A850
fallout root = E:\File System\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\
config path = E:\File System\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data\NVSE\nvse_config.ini
overriding memory pool sizes
128MB scrap heap is too large, clamping to 500MB. using your value will make the game unstable.
default heap = 400MB
OnHook: thread = 33288
calling winmain 

For reference, the guide says to set the following as your nvse_config.ini

Memory
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=400
scrapheapsizeMB=128

This fails to get to even a loading screen every single time. Deleting the second line seems to fix the problem, but as I'm not entirely sure what it is this actually does, I'm not sure whether that's an acceptable tradeoff.

I'm pretty sure there is a version or a patch that gets rid of the ridiculously powerful weapons from the mod. I'd be keen for that version to make it in to F&LNV, mostly because the wasteland is a bit too wasteland in NV. The trouble is, there are a LOT of patches for it to work alongside other mods that are going to run up the ESP count.

Yeah, World of Pain brings a lot of life back to the Mojave, which I think works well within the lore, with what Mr. House did to minimize the damage to the areas around the Strip. Patching is a concern as well, there's a lot of potential compatibility issues that I can look at while I rebuild my setup. I'm going to try installing it after the cut content restoration and run some test builds, see what I can make happen. Bashed Patch will hopefully get rid of a lot of those extra ESPs, but you never know.

Edited by RagnorakTres
  • +1 1