Mod Organizer Guide

frihyland

This thread is for the wiki guide and only discussions about that guide should take place here.

The thread in Anthology is for Mod Organizer itself. All discussion about MO specifically should take place there.

The thread in Troubleshooting is for issues and troubleshooting. All discussion about issues and problems with MO should take place there.

These three separations help us to keep everything straight and separated instead of having one massive thread that is impossible to find anything in. Moderators should move posts around accordingly and as necessary using the outline I just mentioned. Furthermore, any important/useful information should be added to the wiki guide. Anyone can edit and contribute to the wiki. Frankly, STEP has become so massive that it's impossible for the Admin and Senior Staff to keep up with everything. So we heavily rely upon the other staff to be doing their share.

That makes sense. This is specifically for things pertaining to the wiki guide. So most of the Troubleshooting talk discussed in this thread is out of place. Gotcha.

The first notice at https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#tab=First_steps tells about NCC requiring dotNet framework.

I believe that normally when a .NET function is required, Windows will send you a message to get it fixed. Try installing SkyUI and see if that doesn't trigger it.

BTW, maybe we could get this thread moved to the main Mod Organizer forum here on STEP?

The MO wiki does in fact talk about NCC and the requirement of dotNet but not a specific version (so that i can adhere to the build library). I've installed mods including SkyUI with (to what i understand) no issues. Although the message still is present (and ive just recently installed dotNet updates (KB2863240 & KB25561698)) MO seems to be operational. Skyrim runs (tho i am experiencing some program instability which i attribute to mod conflicts, which is another thread) .. anyway, i was just wondering if there is any documentation on NCC at all. i can't even find the origins of it, authors or application stats..

thanks again for your help.

NCC is a plugin based on Nexus Mod Manager used by Mod Organizer to install fomods that utilize C# scripts. It is developed by Tannin, just like the base app. It relies on the .Net framework, the same that Nexus Mod Manager uses. I'm not certain what the correct version of .Net required, but it probably is https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718.

When a fomod installer initiates, like the latest SkyUI, that has a C# install script, Mod Organizer will show a pop-up window saying it is running an external installer, which is NCC. If you have never seen this external installer thing, NCC is probably nonfunctional. If you have, it is functional, and the error message is incorrect. Please post a bug report on the bug tracker.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for some details confirming my instinctive approach to installing SKSE via MO, but the "Installing Mods" section does not mention SKSE plugin installation (these install in the Data directory, but MO complains ... Wrye Bash installs these without complaint or issue, so I am thinking MO does too ... ?). I am thinking that this section could be much improved as well, both in terms of the clarity and brevity of information as well as content updates and "passive voice". It looks like this was mostly written by blacksol ages ago ...

Content and conciseness being most important for the time being. I (and others) can take a stab at clarity, brevity and writing style once I better understand the content.

Open SkSE Archive and create either .7Z, .Zip or .RAR from the contents of it's Data folder, which is the "Scripts" folder.

Naming suitably, for Example;

SkSE v1.6.16 Scripts.7Z

Saving the Archive if you want to, in case it's required in the future.

Install Scripts archive as normal mod.

Delete the SkSE's Data folder, as it's not required now it's a Mod.

Rest of SkSE goes in Skyrim main folder as usual, Default is;

C:\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Skyrim\

SkSE is then installed, Mod Organized Style.

I haven't gotten around to the Installing Mods section yet, and I'm in finals in college right now, so I'm rather busy. I mentioned installing SKSE and SKSE plugins as a sidenote at https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#SKSE under SKSE. I failed to mention however that since most SKSE mod archives are created in a manner to be installed manually, you generally have to create directories in the manual installer so that the path is SKSE/plugins/.dll

• 4 weeks later...

Request a quick description of the mechanics of profiles under MO and where this info resides. I am trying to help users understand how MO can help to obviate certain precautionary OCD activity as described in the SIG (which is an ancillary offshoot of the STEP Guide).

Please feel free to edit this and other guides with notes about MO features that obviate such precautionary OCD activities that are mentioned anywhere on the wiki. (and please correct any notes that currently exist if necessary)

Sections currently in need of expansion:

Left Pane --> Context Menu

Left Pane --> Mod Information

Plugins --> Ini Editor --> Need to know what associated does

Third Party Programs --> List of automatically recognized executables --> Need to know what geck.exe is

Third Party Programs --> Bodyslide 2 and Outfit Studio (doesn't exist)

Third Party Programs --> Free Commander --> Picture

Third Party Programs --> FNIS --> Need to add information about how the tool writes content to Overwrite and creating a mod from it.

Third Party Programs --> SBW --> Picture

Third Party Programs --> SkyProc Patchers

Third Party Programs --> TES5Edit --> Need specifically information about cleaning DLC and Overwrite info

Third Party Programs --> Wrye Bash --> Need to add information about how the tool writes content to Overwrite and creating a mod from it.

Profiles --> The whole thing.

Downloading Mods --> Could use some pictures I think.

Installing Mods --> The whole thing.

Enabling Mods --> The whole thing.

Activating Mods --> The whole thing.

Priorities --> Wall of text needs pictures and some things are missing

Overwrite --> The whole thing.

Advanced --> Always could use expansion

FAQ --> I don't think we've answered every frequently asked question yet.

I've used WB to install all my mods because I was used to it from older TES titles. But MO seems to be the even more powerful tool. I would also like to switch my install dir.

Is it possible to transfer the install order of my archives from WB into MO? That would be very convenient, otherwise I'd have to sort 400 archives.

Thanks in advance,

Spock

Great request, and I would also like to know about sorting mods by install order in MO and using a mod-order config file to define (i.e., the WB Installers.dat file for instance).

About mos sorting/arrangement in MO: WB allows moving mods within the order in multiples by selecting all, right clicking and entering a number that applies to all, moving them but keeping their relative order. This is very convenient in designing manual algorithms to achieve a particular install order en masse, so I am wondering if such context-menu functionality can be implemented in MO (unless it already is and I am just not seeing it).

I've never used Wrye Bash to install mods, so what does an example Installers.dat look like? It may be possible to somehow do it, but the main difficulty is whether it lists the mods from bottom up or top down. There currently is no importer for Wrye Bash. The wiki advanced guide mentions migrating from Wrye Bash, and pretty much says to start over, which I know is quite disconcerting.

You can select multiple mods and move them keeping their same relative ordering by Ctrl + Left-clicking (or Shift + Left-clicking if they are all lined up) each mod and dragging the whole. You can't, however, move multiple mods by priority number currently.

My bad!

Hello, I've installed STEP a few extra mods and RealVision ENB, and the only thing I'm "missing" is Steam Overlay.

I know that OSDs don't work with ENBs, so can I even have both of them?

Also I'm using MO as suggested by STEP, but I'm too scared to mess around with the TESV.exe on my own. Before STEP etc, I renamed the executable of SKSE to TESV.exe, and as a result Steam considered it as Skyrim. But I've read around that MO uses a special .ini for SKSE and it shouldn't be mixed with TESV.exe 's ini (or something along those lines).

So should I rename skse to TESV.exe and then change the filepath of SKSE from MO or it will break something? If not, is there any other way to have steam friends and play time tracking while using ENB and MO?

Also, thanks to everyone involved in the S.T.E. Project, it is unbelievably helpful and awesome. Thank you so much.