Mod Organizer Guide

frihyland

Hi,

I've downloaded tons of mod on NMM, can i import them on MO?

Also, will MO name correctly the mod after i downloaded form Nexus like NMM do?

example:

Mod: Road Sign

File downloaded: dirty_v1.3-232434-12.zip

Mod name: Road Sign - dirty_v1.3

No you have to manually install them all. But as long as you have the archives then that should be fairly simple. Only downside is that you will not have the ability to see in MO if a mod has updates etc. since there is no meta file generated for mods installed manually. You can make this yourself, but it is rather time consuming and tedious, and most likely faster to just redownload depending on your connection type.

The names will be the name of the archive you install from.

your best bet is to copy and paste the original mod packages into the folder where MO downloads are saved (\ModOrganizer\downloads). Once they are all in that folder, open up MO and move to the 'downloads' tab, you should see all the mods you just moved. Dont freak out - all of them should have a red exclamation symbol next to them, indicating they dont have any associated meta data. Right-click on any mod package, and select "Query Info". This will create a new meta file for that mod so when you actually install it, all of the info will be correct and stay current. Do this for each mod in the list. Once you get the meta data for a mod and the red exclamation icon goes away, youre good to install the mod like normal.

Mod Organizer, SkyRE and ReProccer.

After reading a few guides/forum posts and watching the gopher vid Sanctuary 59.  I have found that I have to download and install JAVA x32.  I just redid my pc.  So I installed java x64 but not x32.

after DL java x32 and install,  I was able to "add to exe" in Mod Organizer.

Reproccer opened (while MO was locked).  My Commodo firewall asked for permission AND it also said ReProccer wanted to interact with BOSS.exe.  I allowed it.

Reproccer Opened and Patched.

I am about to start (finally) my New Game and test it out.  I think I will be a nord this time.  Just wanted to post my exp. 

The S.T.E.P. guide was a little vague on executibles.  Other than that I have been following STEP for quite awhile and have learned Many, Many, things from STEP and its users posts. Thank You

I posted on Mod Organizer's Nexus Forum on 14th August 2013 concerning Tannin's uncharacteristic absence since posting

burned me out a bit

in his last post on 16th July 2013

Link to my post (Quotes his last post in full at the start)

The basic point being whether "burn out" or holiday he needs more Support in the future to continue developing the best Skyrim Mod Manager (in my opinion)

Wrye Bash for Oblivion is a possible contender but Wrye Bash for Skyrim is not the same (a glance at the General ReadMe's many "Oblivion Only" Functions shows this)

Only thing it has that Mod Organizer doesn't are "Bashed Patches" and there is uncertainty about all merging of plugins in Skyrim as far as I'm aware nothing does the job right yet in Skyrim

If ENBSeries/ENBoost/ENBHost fulfills its potential and effectively makes Skyrim a 64 bit game for memory Access (Able to use all memory on 64 bit machines) then merging plugins properly will become essential not just useful

Back to my post I called on users of Mod Organizer to offer Tannin Help as their talents allow and commited myself to making proper Documentation (Wiki Format) for the programI am repeating that call here with an added part

If you didn't read my post or did just that

Tannin returned to Forum within a couple of posts and replied to my Post

with

Tannin42, on 14 Aug 2013 - 7:11 PM, said:In response to post My Post.

This is a nice thought, thank you. :)

One thing first: My lack of activity recently has several reasons:

a) I was on holiday for a few weeks

b) My day job has become a lot more busy

c) I'm forced to move my web space which currently eats up my remaining spare time. The advantage is that the bug tracker should become faster once the move is complete

d) 0.99.2 is nearly done but I'm currently facing crashes that I can't really explain.

If people want to help improve MO, here are a few ideas:

a) contribute to a wiki (you already mentioned that)

b) add/extend translations

c) Manage the translation project

h) help managing the issue tracker by trying to identify duplicate issues and/or issues unrelated to MO

i) take over NCC development (requires C# knowledge. knownledge of the NMM codebase would be a plus)

j) help MO development (C/C++ knowledge, Qt a plus, good nerves definitively required)

Which is great news in a few respects

• Tannin back
  • He's not burned out yet
  • I am right he does need our help (always like being right)
  • Even better he knows what will help him the most
  • As well as doing a) I can do g) at the same time as well
So if you can help Tannin out with any of the above we will all benefit

As to my part of the bargain Documentation I'm gathering existing information first and getting that organised I've manually downloaded the Nexus Topic All 401 and rising pages, Tedious.

I have a simple method that extracts the posts page by page from website fluff it would be easier with more than 10 posts per page but I'm dealing with the Nexus,

So when thats done Ill have all 4000+ posts in one file to then start finding the Gems and discarding the "my mods are not in my Data folder why" spoil

I have got most other concentrated sources downloaded I don't think there's much of use on Bethesda's Forum but haven't looked properly yet.

Which leaves somthing on STEP called

Skyrim Revisited by Neovalen

I know you've probably never heard of it but I'm told I might find the odd mention on there as one or two of the Wrye Bash Obsessed Fan boys over on STEP have seen the light and become born again Mod Organizer Converts.

Following this Neovalen as though he is the Son of Tannin !!!

It's probably not true and will turn out to be a spliit off Wrye Bash sect or worse the NMM Cult it surely can't be the real extremist "Modding in one click (and no problems honest)" Steam Workshop Martyrs

Seriously this Forum is All Mod Organizer related to some degree and I expect to get most of the good Information from here just haven't decided how as its a multi Topic Forum (I will have to think about that)

Anyone with any useful Info can PM me with Info or link to info both here or on Nexus

My Full Internet Name is Uhuru N'Uru (Nexus UhuruNUru) depending on site rules as to what it allows Avatar is Same though (Comes from my Myst Online: Uru Live days if anyone cares)

I posted our advocacy on the MO thread. Surely there are persons in this community and elsewhere that would be willing to help formalize the MO documentation and development under Tannin ....

I've PM'd you on Nexus about Tannin's basic approval of Documentation Project

Aim: Gather all information in one place

Why me ?: No one else is doing it up

Help ?' Setting it up tedious and time consuming so unlikely

Once Set up: I hope with encouragment those whom repeatedly help on forums will see benefit of doing it once on Wiki and sending rest to it up

Developement ?

Peoeple need to speak to Tannin about something on the list above it is his list of requests

Putting it on Bethesda Forums may get more developers viewing it

having some trouble recently, hoping someone has an idea of what may fix the issue. A few weeks ago MO stopped showing images to me. Like, when im installing a big mod with fomod/NMM installer package that contains a bunch of compare images to illustrate the different mod options. None of the pictures will show up anymore. No box with a red X through it; nothing at all. If i didnt know better, I couldnt even tell that anything was missing. On top of that, no images can be displayed through the "information" dialogue for each mod (for mods that come packaged with screenshots and whatnot) .  It used to be you could view any of those images at the bottom of the "information" dialogue... now there is nothing there at all.

Im using the latest 0.99.1 and have been for a while now. No major changes were made to the application around the time that this stopped working. Ive looked through the INI to see if I deactivated something or inadvertently set some option that i didnt know about, but i havent found anything. I tried to reinstall the program but that didnt help either (although it wasnt a full reinstall.. I reinstalled any and all files that I could without jeopardizing my profiles, settings, custom categories, etc.).

Something that at first seems trivial quickly becomes really annoying.   Anyone have any ideas?

I have a question about a statement in the wiki page:

When you use MO, all other programs that work with mods (i.e. BOSS, wrye bash, Skyrim Launcher, skyedit, Creation Kit, ...) should be started from inside MO. The same is true for all launchers you may use (skse, SBW, ...). Many of the well known tools are automatically detected. Further tools can by set up using the "Executables" button.

Can anyone tell me - how does it do that? Where does it look for the tools?

• 1 month later...

This might be dumb of me (I'm having a lot of dumb moments today) but I noticed that some mods are overwriting other mods even though those other mods were installed later. For example, one of the unofficial patches (STEP 2.D) overwriting a texture from farther down the list (like ruins clutter improved in STEP 2.F).

- I thought any install that comes later would automatically overwrite earlier installs, so why is this happening?

- Is there a way to change which files are being overwritten?

For the most part, I like MO better than NMM but one thing I liked a LOT about NMM is that it always warned you before overwriting something and gave you the option of accepting it or declining it. .. there was a question attached to that thought but I've forgotten it now so I'll ask later if/when I remember.

Thanks!

That shouldn't be possible and it has never occurred to me. In the conflict window you can right-click and then hide a file, so it no longer overwrites a file of another mod.

Still, I would first look in the data directory if I were you. Check on the files in question and then see which mod ends up providing those particular files.

This might be dumb of me (I'm having a lot of dumb moments today) but I noticed that some mods are overwriting other mods even though those other mods were installed later. For example, one of the unofficial patches (STEP 2.D) overwriting a texture from farther down the list (like ruins clutter improved in STEP 2.F).

- I thought any install that comes later would automatically overwrite earlier installs, so why is this happening?

- Is there a way to change which files are being overwritten?

For the most part, I like MO better than NMM but one thing I liked a LOT about NMM is that it always warned you before overwriting something and gave you the option of accepting it or declining it. .. there was a question attached to that thought but I've forgotten it now so I'll ask later if/when I remember.

Thanks!

It's because you've probably moved them around and the view did not refresh. Just right click anywhere in the left hand pane and select Refresh option. Sometimes it refreshes automatically, but sometimes you have to do it manually. I'd recommend manual refresh after each mod install, modlist shuffle, or file change (i.e. if you delete a file from a mod folder or overwrite folder) - just to be on a safe side.

The beauty of MO is that you don't REALLY overwrite the files, as each mod is installed in it's own folder. The order of the mods in left hand pane is in fact your "install order" (not LOAD ORDER - that's in the right hand pane!), so the files that are lower in the list "overwrite" the ones that are higher.

MO creates a virtual Skyrim Data folder based on the order your mods are sorted in the left hand pane.

You can shuffle the mods around without a need to reinstalling them, and they will be "overwritten" accordingly.