Mod Organizer Guide

frihyland

exactly what torminater said ^

i try to keep backups of all of my modlist.txt files from all my profiles.. a week old backup is better than starting from scratch. ugh, theres nothing more tedious than prioritizing 400+/- packages. i definitely feel your pain

Thanks. I wasn't even aware that there was a way to save or backup this information. Thanks for cluing me in about the modlist.txt files. Any chance I can use the modlist file from one of the unaltered profiles as a basis for recreating the other profiles? The priority data should have been somewhat similar among the different profiles, since I developed all of them off of the Core STEP profile.

There is a folder called Profiles within main MO folder. Each profile has a relevant folder. That contains all the necessary files, including ini files. Just copy modlist.txt from one profile to another.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

When I started MO today, it appears to have lost the priority order for my mod list. All the mods are now unchecked and have been alphabetized (with the priority matching the alphabetized list). When I started MO, I also got a messagebox stating that it was the first time I had used MO and if I wanted to go through the tutorial.

Does anyone have any idea what might have happened? I've been working on reinstalling the game for weeks, and just when I thought I nearly had everything finished, it appears that I now need to go through and reorganize and re-sort all of the mods.

On further examination, it appears that two of my profiles have suffered the alphabetization/lost priority settings (Core STEP and one other) while two other profiles remain as they should be. What did I do wrong?

Following your question, I backed up my own modlist.txt files and guess what...? Yesterday while installing a large mod my MO crashed and I lost ALL MY PROFILES! Luckily I've had a backup I made a day before :)

I can't adjust the column widths in either panel, however making the entire window larger and adjusting the relative size of the left vs the right panel allowed me to see everything without a problem.

I do have another question of my own though. How do others handle the Bashed Patch,0.esp with regard to different mod organizer profiles? One thought I had was to make a separate mod folder for each profile and copy the individual bashed patch .esps into the respective folder, but I wasn't sure if there was a better/more efficient way of dealing with this.

I can't adjust the column widths in either panel, however making the entire window larger and adjusting the relative size of the left vs the right panel allowed me to see everything without a problem.

I do have another question of my own though. How do others handle the Bashed Patch,0.esp with regard to different mod organizer profiles? One thought I had was to make a separate mod folder for each profile and copy the individual bashed patch .esps into the respective folder, but I wasn't sure if there was a better/more efficient way of dealing with this.

Yeah, anything that's profile specific (i.e. Bashed Patch, SkyProc Patcher files, Community Uncapper ini files) has to be manually replaced. I keep separate folders with all the relevant files in my MO Overwrites folder and swap the files when I change profiles.

thats pretty much what i do.

I have a separate mod folder for each individual bashed patch, i.e. "Bashed Patch - STEP Testing" or "Bashed Patch - Character Name".  To further distinguish between them (really only for added security measure in case i somehow get them mixed up) I give each bashed patch a different number. So I have  Bashed Patch, 0.esp   Bashed Patch, 1.esp   and   Bashed Patch, 2.esp  etc. etc. Then I use the "notes" feature and add in little comments on each of the separate bashed patch "mods" .. something like "Bashed Patch, 1.esp goes with STEP-Testing profile"

The reason for this is because when you rebuild your patch, MO throws it into  'overwrite' by default. So its up to you to go in there and manually move it back into its respective mod folder after each rebuild. Sometimes I will rebuild and forget to move it, which for the most part is fine because it will overwrite the old one that's still in the mod folder and i will see all of the changes in-game. however, this is one of the reasons i also number the patches, so if i forget to move it I will know where its supposed to go when i finally remember to do so. Or so you dont accidentally rebuild it for a different profile that is active.

I like the having the separate mod folders for each one because it offers more organization for me. You could simply keep all of the patches in 'overwrite' and let that be their home, but the ones you're not currently using will still always be visible in the plugins window..which i dont like. Having them in separate mod folders prevents that as well :)

The way I handle it is whenever I change mods regardless of how i.e. whenever I switch profiles or add anything I just re-run the bashed patch (yes I know there are other patches).

yeah and just for the record, in case you didnt know, you dont actually have to use the extra bashed patch ESPs that come with it ... you can just make a bunch of copies of the main/original bashed patch ESP and rename them to whatever you want, so long as they follow the prescribed nomenclature, i.e. Bashed Patch, ______.esp

Bashed Patch, STEP.esp

Bashed Patch, SkyBash.esp

Bashed Patch, ImAwesome.esp

Bashed Patch, 1.esp

Bashed Patch, 2.esp

etc

etc

Only SKSE itself needs to be installed manually, as far as I now every other SKSE plugin is packaged correctly for mod managers to install. And you must launch through the SKSE launcher if you want those plugins to work, do not launch with the Skyrim launcher unless it is the very first time launching the game after a fresh install of the game.

yeah, what EssArrBee said.

Any mod that has SKSE files should be installed like any other mod. This is because they are all installed into the Data directory (usually Skyrim\Data\SKSE\). Any "mod" that has assets needing to be installed in the Skyrim root directory (not Skyrim\Data\..) have to be installed manually. Mod managers generally only handle files that go into Skyrim\Data .. any files or folders that have to go directly into \Skyrim wont usually be recognized by mod managers.

So, for SKSE, I use the mod manager (in our case, Mod Organizer) to install the SKSE scripts since they are installed into the Data folder (Skyrim\Data\Scripts) and then I manually install all of the other files directly into the Skyrim root directory.