STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

Okay so I just tried out this INI tweaks folder and it is pretty trick. Basically, you install the any mod that has an INI tweaks folder and it will add the included INIs to the information pop up in the INI-Files tab. Just tick the check boxes.

Now we just need to test the settings to make sure they get merged on start up. I'll upload a file with the settings in the STEP Patches archive, so anyone can test.

How do you see it they get merged on startup? Is there a console command to spit out specific setting specs?

Tannin hasn't mentioned it and I don't know of any command. It seems as if we are flying blind here. Perhaps he could make some sort of logging which shows the merged end result. Even better if there was some command in the GUI to show this.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have contacted Tannin about ini files and in particular bug report #453 "Ini-Tweaks not reverting to default values when deactivated". As in a setting of INI Tweaks gets stuck in the MO skyrim.ini and skyrim.ini files. It is NOT solved. He is working on a solution and could be integrated in the next version.

[spoiler=Questions send to Tannin]

Hi Tannin,

Thanks for the quick response. The S.T.E.P. already is testing it by including it in the existing STEP patches (its not yet on the nexus). I have a few questions and remarks:

1) A while back there was an issue that settings of the INI tweaks get stuck in the MO skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini files. Its bug report 453. The last update was that it got status 'confirmed'. Is this issue solved?

2) I have also pointed STEP to a thread in which you asked for input with regard how to handle ini files in the future. https://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=3581

3) I think that getting MO in line with WB with regards to ini tweaks is a good thing unless you see drawbacks.

4) When a mod has an INI tweaks directory with ini files in it one can enable/disable the individual ini files. Where is this information stored?

5) Is it possible to distribute a mod in which the ini files are already enabled?

[spoiler="Response from Tannin]

1+2) No, that isn't fixed yet but I've put some work into a solution. Maybe I'll integrate it in the next version

3) agreed. This may actually make the code easier too

4) in the meta.ini file of the mod

5) Only if you ship a meta.ini file. However, upon installing  a mod with ini tweaks MO should also ask the user to configure the tweaks and open the appropriate info page. This also means you can't "force" the user to activate those ini tweaks.

Best Regards,

Tannin

Questions, remarks

• Has anyone experienced the bug when testing the STEP patch with INI tweaks?
  • Tannin has asked the users about how to handle ini files in this thread for a future MO. I've checked and except for 1 user nobody has commented there. I think this an excellent opportunity for S.T.E.P and anyone else to comment on it and influence the future of MO (a bit).
What is needed in MO to make handling ini files as good as the rest of the mod handling?

I would like to have your input on it. What I have come up with is the following but please add your own here.

• Mod attached ini's (Tannins phrase for mod with an esp and an ini file) have a paperclip to visialize the presence of an ini file. In the left however for a mod it is not shown. I think a flag for any of the three ini files types is needed.
  • Ability to show the 'merged' skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini files so a user knows what Skyrim will use when its started. This can be just a NON editable view showing the contents of the two mentioned files. Or something more fancy like showing from which mod the ini change comes from.
  • Ini setting overwrite flag just like the flags which shows which assets in mods are ovewritten. But in this case the assets are the individual ini settings in ini files.
There is of course no guarantee whats o ever that our suggestions might end up in MO but I think its good to have this discussed. If the suggestions come from multiple (S.T.E.P) users who have thought about and discussed this our changes might be better.

TL;DR

Bug report #453 "Ini-Tweaks not reverting to default values when deactivated" does still exist. Supplying a S.T.E.P patch with INI Tweaks should wait till this issue is solved.

Thank you for the feedback on this issue Mr. Logan. I will leave some input in Tannin's thread about the way INIs are handled.

I agree as well that we hold off on including these in the STEP Patches we distribute to users until the bugs are worked out. I do like the approach to INI tweaks from MO more than the WB approach and that it will be something STEP can use to further streamline installation in the future. Every time I start up WB, it feels old to me, like it has outgrown it's usefulness. It is an opensource project so maybe someone will port the Bashed Patch to a MO plugin, but that is just dreaming.

Thank you for the feedback on this issue Mr. Logan. I will leave some input in Tannin's thread about the way INIs are handled.

I agree as well that we hold off on including these in the STEP Patches we distribute to users until the bugs are worked out. I do like the approach to INI tweaks from MO more than the WB approach and that it will be something STEP can use to further streamline installation in the future. Every time I start up WB, it feels old to me, like it has outgrown it's usefulness. It is an opensource project so maybe someone will port the Bashed Patch to a MO plugin, but that is just dreaming.

Bub, The Ol' Canucklehead" aka patch aka Logan (and wolvie for his friends) is glad that somebody knows his comics, though his real name is James Howlett.

Looking forward for your comments in Tannins ini thread.

As Wrye Bash is written in Python and MO supports python in its plugins it is possible but indeed unlikely. From what I hear is that the WB code is 'suboptimal' - and it seems people have gotten as bold as Professor X by pulling out all there hairs when trying to figure out how it works.  Cbash would be more likely but as the last version is from 2010 and predates Skyrim I don't see it happening. As explained to DoYouEvenModBro (which OT thread has been moved to an for me unknown location) a far better candidate would be SkyBash - which is skyproc based and be started by MO. Basically a Bashed patch for everything - not just leveled lists. If only some one would be brave enough to pick that one up (last update 2012). I know, now I have gone OT -so lets not discuss this here further.

snip/

Questions, remarks

• Has anyone experienced the bug when testing the STEP patch with INI tweaks?
  • Tannin has asked the users about how to handle ini files in this thread for a future MO. I've checked and except for 1 user nobody has commented there. I think this an excellent opportunity for S.T.E.P and anyone else to comment on it and influence the future of MO (a bit).
/snip

I posted something relevant to this conversation on the thread linked above. We should probably continue over there with this topic.

I tried to google around and every single source said it was only important if you used Wrye Bash, somehow. Now I am not necessarily saying the internets are true, but if it was so important for everyone to do, wouldn't someone mention it?

What are the bad things that will happen to me if I don't do it?

BP is part of Wrye Bash' date=' so you will need to read the MO guide about adding WB as an executable and creating the BP. This is also detailed near the end of the STEP Guide.[/color']

I tried to google around and every single source said it was only important if you used Wrye Bash, somehow. Now I am not necessarily saying the internets are true, but if it was so important for everyone to do, wouldn't someone mention it?

What are the bad things that will happen to me if I don't do it?

do it