STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

Please have it as a separate download :-). Not all of us use the STEP Patches. For example' date=' I do not use the STEP patches because I do not use all the Gameplay mods that STEP recommends and do not know enough about TES5EDIT to remove those dependencies. Thanks![/quote']

You could just install the ini tweaks and discard the patch. Simply uncheck the plugin.

That is extremely true as well. Good idea man. 

There are patches for S.T.E.P, core and extended. A separate download would have as advantage that you only have to maintain one file instead of two (should something change in the ini settings). Also as the patches are stable atm putting the ini files in them would mean users need to download the patches again. Personally I think a separate donwload is cleaner. But I don't have a problem putting them in the patches either.... The above is ofc under the assumption that it is all possible (but this seems to be the case).

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would certainly be in favour of having a "mod" in MO containing only the STEP ini tweaks. It is completely in line with the MO philosophy of keeping virgin vanilla files/folders (or as much as possible) and being profile specific.

I use the INI tweaks features for specific mod needs (the only one I can think of now is SFO grass texure tweaks) so that I don't have to write them into my skyrim inis, even profile specific ones.

The only reason I haven't gone further and implemented eg a STEP ini tweaks "mod" or an ENB ini tweaks "mod "is that I'd read about issues with MO writing changes directly to Skyrim inis (MO's ones). From what I remember this could be a problem with settings already in the skyrim inis (eg drawtreeshadows for ENB) but not for added settings (eg the bow aiming tweaks recommended by STEP).

Is any of that clear?!

This issue has indeed been detected/discussed. It has been confirmed by Tannin a while back. Not sure if it still an issue. But this of course can be checked/verified easily. Backup the virgin ini files (or your current one), create ini "mods" and enable/disable them. Play with Skyrim and check if the virgin files have changed. A windows 'diff' tool like windiff or winmerge can be used to check if the ini files are changed.

The issue has been discussed in this thread, post #4. A bug report ticket has been created for it: Bug report #453.

In the thread I mentioned Tannin asked for our help. As in how to handle "ini" files. So far I believe only one person has responded. I guess this is a GREAT opportunity to comment on this. I hope more ppl are putting there suggestions there.

Wrye Bash INI Tweaks are manually implemented under WB. That is to say that WB allows the user to point to any INI (type a, b, and c) and create a user tweak for that INI.

The term 'override' does not apply in WB, since these are always 'overwrites' directly to the INI once a given tweak is implemented by checking its box. Therefore, changing an INI setting under WB is done manually by the user through action in WB INI Tweaks tab (this is reversible) or by direct manual edit or overwrite of the INI itself.

Based on the descriptions above (and from my own observation), Skyrim INIs (type a) are easy. Each profile has its own Skyrim INIs, which are editable either directly or via MO INI config editor tools. I am still unclear on a couple of things regarding mos-specific "INI Tweaks" (type b) and "mod attached INIs" (type c):

• Type b are also mod INIs, but as described, they are under a mod folder called "INI Tweaks" at the top level of the mod ... are these tweaks to Skyrim INIs? Does the "INI Tweaks" folder sit beside "Data" or the assets/folders under "Data" or either one? Do these modify the profile Skyrim INIs?
  • Type c are 'loose' INIs within the mod and effectively go under /Data/. Do these modify either/both type a and type b INIs (they would do so under WB, since they are loaded at game start and are not part of the static config)?
Finally, we should definitely supply type b or type c INIs with STEP, as it enhances the value of the STEP Nexus downloads for all users, not just those using the patches. The question is whether they be type b or type c. the former would be for those running full STEP, but the latter would be mod-specific, right? If they were named according to the corresponding STEP mod plugin, they would effectively be type c, and if they were in an "INI Tweaks" folder beside the STEP patch, they would be type b and applicable to the Patches?

I'm not sure that one can actually package a "mod" with MO ini tweaks (what we're calling type b), and what we're calling type c is specific to a mod's own functions and doesn't affect the skyrim inis (I believe).

I will have a play with these features this weekend.

What STEP could definitely do though is give instructions for users to create their own ini tweaks in MO.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We could get rid of the INI tweaks section and simply include them with the STEP Patches.

Not sure about that but we could move it to the end of step 3 and just say that it is installed with the step patches. We have to have those settings somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could get rid of the INI tweaks section and simply include them with the STEP Patches.

Not sure about that but we could move it to the end of step 3 and just say that it is installed with the step patches. We have to have those settings somewhere.

They're already on the ini tweaks ancillary guide. But I think you're right.

Okay so I just tried out this INI tweaks folder and it is pretty trick. Basically, you install the any mod that has an INI tweaks folder and it will add the included INIs to the information pop up in the INI-Files tab. Just tick the check boxes.

Now we just need to test the settings to make sure they get merged on start up. I'll upload a file with the settings in the STEP Patches archive, so anyone can test.

STEP Patches.7z

Okay so I just tried out this INI tweaks folder and it is pretty trick. Basically, you install the any mod that has an INI tweaks folder and it will add the included INIs to the information pop up in the INI-Files tab. Just tick the check boxes.

Now we just need to test the settings to make sure they get merged on start up. I'll upload a file with the settings in the STEP Patches archive, so anyone can test.

Checked the patch, looks good. Had already done the same but you beat me to it ;-) 

I have a question though. When I install a mod X I always select 'manual' so I have full control over the installation. If a mod has a readme.txt or other info I always create a Docs/X directory and move the readme files into it. The advantage is that when I select the data tab (right pane) its not cluttered and all info is in the Docs directory. Also multiple mods have a file called readme.txt. Normally in the data tab only the one which has the highest priority is shown, now its nicely categorized and all readme's can be found.

Is there a reason for having the STEP readme in the the top level of the mod?

Edit: Send Tannin an email to check if bug report 453 has been solved. The issue where settings of INI tweaks did get stuck in the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini file.

Well there are no other levels of the mod. It is really just an esp and a text file. I just copied the INI tweaks folder into it to make the test archive. Also, MO does not place Readme.txt in the data tab, it just lists it under textfiles when you bring up the mod info. It is a nice little feature.

The mods that do not name their readmes, readme.txt, are the ones cluttering up your data tab.

Well there are no other levels of the mod. It is really just an esp and a text file. I just copied the INI tweaks folder into it to make the test archive. Also, MO does not place Readme.txt in the data tab, it just lists it under textfiles when you bring up the mod info. It is a nice little feature.

The mods that do not name their readmes, readme.txt, are the ones cluttering up your data tab.

I stand corrected. I didn't know that about the readme.txt and MO fact. Even after using it for almost 2 years (April 2012) , still learning new tricks about MO.

If its not already in the wiki it should be there. Gonna check it tomorrow. Time for bed.

How do you see it they get merged on startup? Is there a console command to spit out specific setting specs?

How do you see it they get merged on startup? Is there a console command to spit out specific setting specs?

I'm sure there is but I just did eyeball tests with AA/AF and the Beth intro. Going from 0 to 8x AA and 16x AF is easy to see.