STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mo makes custom INIs for each profile. The INI editor and the Configurator edit those custom INIs.

My terminology must be flawed ... I assumed 'custom INIs' were the mod-specific ones with the little paperclip. that is what I am talking about above. I have never used any of the custom mod INIs, but my profile INIs work great under MO.

Mo makes custom INIs for each profile. The INI editor and the Configurator edit those custom INIs.

My terminology must be flawed ... I assumed 'custom INIs' were the mod-specific ones with the little paperclip. that is what I am talking about above. I have never used any of the custom mod INIs, but my profile INIs work great under MO.
Sorry, I was answering DYEMB's question not responding to your comment.

So if I use the configurator in MO to edit my .ini' date=' it leaves the default inis in user/my documents/my games/skyrim and makes custom ones specific to each profile in MO? And that should be safe?[/quote']

Correct. MO virtualizes the /data directory and the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini file. See the virtual filing system (VFS) section in the advanced section of the MO wiki, which you can find here.

I think it did not make it clear. To quote myself:

It DOES work in the MO editor. It DOES work with an external editor (Ini editor value external set to true. Tested both. Pretty darn sure it works with MO's 'configurator'. In all three cases the /profiles//skyrim.ini and /profiles//skyrimprefs.ini are changed. If you mean wit 'paperclip' the fact that it has a custom.ini then iMinGrassSize does NOT work.

I have tested the configurator. So far I can see it ONLY modifies the /profiles//skyrim.ini and /profiles//skyrimprefs.ini files.

Be carefull with the configurator. I just discovered a bug and an suboptimal feature.

• Bug. It does not parse lines with a ; correctly. If you have for example the line iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=7; S.T.E.P 2.28 setting mod Skyrim Flora Overhaul. it will give an error (and shows the line with the error). Notice I have NOT put a space between 7 and the character. There needs to be a space (possibly a whitespace character suffices) between the setting and the ; character.
  • Suboptimal feature: After changing/adding a setting with the configurator ALL existing comments are removed. It looks as if this happens in BOTH the virtual skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini files.
Thank god I'm paranoid and make a backup of the three ini files.
Good idea about moving the INI recommendations into a custom INI tweak for MO (and for WB). We could provide these with the STEP Patches ;)

That was exactly my idea and the reason I was experimenting with it today. To bad apparently not all settings can be set with a custom ini file. The one you see when you select 'information' for a mod and which is shown in the section 'INI files. Sometimes I ask my self, why do you do that to yourself. Just play.... God knows it has been more then a year that Id. BTW my HEAVILY modded skyrim is ROCK stable. The last year has brought some IMPRESSIVE mods (enbboost, ugridtoload, memory patch) that made it possible.

Note: Although MO has support for custom ini files this DOES NOT seem to work. Have tested it today with iMinGrassSize=xx (xx=default=20 and xx=80). Have tried multiple ways but only the skyrim.ini settings changes it. Have to contact Tannin about this. UNLESS it works for others and I'm doing something wrong. If so i would like to hear how you got it working.

Custom ini works great in MO. It is just that iMinGrassSize=xx only works in skyrim.ini :)

It doesn't work in the MO ini editor or it doesn't work if a mod adds the little paperclip for grass size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply guys.

What I meant is that particular setting has effect only in skyrim.ini not in skyrimpref.ini

You can always put it skyrimpref.ini but the engine will just skip it. Some people report that putting it in the wrong ini nullify the change in the right ini. My personal struggle with GrassOnSteroid make me believe it might be true.

You have to understand that parameters won't work in both ini even if the section is present in both.

I modify my inis only within MO to save ma vanilla ini as clean as possible.

I have just send Tannin an email. Hopefully he is able to answer it or perhaps he visits this forum (send him the url) to post a comment about the issue.

Edit: sorry I don't know about the paperclip.

I think it works only if the ini's section are also in skyrimpref.ini but Tannin will certainly give you a better answer.

I guess my limited knowledge of the Skyrim engine and in this case also MO caused some some question marks?

Tannin has read this thread and he did send me the following response, which I very slightly edited. I made some small comments which are inserted in the form of W  "text", to hopefully make things clearere. W ofc stand for Wolverine2710.

There are three types of .ini files a mod might contain:

• a) skse plugins may contain ini files to contain their settings. These may be anywhere in the directory structure. They don't replace settings from skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini but contain custom stuff.
  • b) ini tweaks. These have to be in a subdirectory called "INI tweaks" at the top level of the mod. These have to be enabled/disabled individually in MO and then get "merged" at startup time and replace settings from skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini.
  • c) "mod attached inis" (my naming). (W EssArrBee called them paperclip inis).  These have to be at the top level of the mod (alongside the esps) and they have to have the same name as an active esp (i.e. paperclip.esp and paperclip.ini). If these conditions are met Skyrim will read SOME settings from these ini files to replace settings from skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini.
I don't know of a listing of settings that you can actually specify via those inis (W c).

The latter (W c) is probably what you mean because Enhanced Blood Textures does have such an ini.

This is a mechanism provided by Skyrim, whereas b) is provided by MO (and wrye bash) and a) is provided by skse.

To my knowledge these inis (W c)are loaded in the priority order of the corresponding esp. Again, this is handled by skyrim, MO doesn't influence this at all, it merely flags esps as having such an attached ini.

ini tweaks (W b) otoh are applied in the mod order (left pane) and always overwrite the setting from the "attached" inis (W c). You can overwrite any setting from an ini tweak.

Now that I think of it, I'm fairly certain that with wrye bash, settings from ini tweaks would get overwritten by the settings from attached inis so I should maybe change this in MO to be more consistent with WB.

Perhaps (former) Wrye Bash users can answer if the beneath is true:

"Now that I think of it, I'm fairly certain that with wrye bash, settings from ini tweaks would get overwritten by the settings from attached inis so I should maybe change this in MO to be more consistent with WB.".

Tannins response raises some question for me, perhaps somebody knows the answer.

• "mod attached inis". It would be great to have a list of the mentioned "SOME settings".
  • If both ini tweaks (b) and "mod attached inis" © are used which one gets priority?. Perhaps the supposed WB method is better, as in clearer and better defined. Its currently NOT implemented in MO. What do you all think is the best way to handle b and c ?
I'm gonna experiment with it tomorrow. It looks as if ALL S.T.E.P settings can be set using "ini tweaks" (b). Either one big mod with multiple ini files (hide the ones you don't want to have enabled or a series of mods (each containing one ini file). The latter seems more suited if you want to prioritize things in a certain way.

If so as Z suggested those setting can be supplied in the S.T.E.P. patches or perhaps some seperate download. It would enable users to have virgin ini files and a couple of to "mods" to set certain ini settings. S.T.E.P could also supply all the ini files of WB and present them in the form of "mods". This would be conform the way MO works (virgin /data directory and "mods" which change/enhance it. 

Enough babbling now. I'm very interested in the opinion of you all. Is it all possible and more important, is it needed/wanted or not.

Please have it as a separate download :-). Not all of us use the STEP Patches. For example, I do not use the STEP patches because I do not use all the Gameplay mods that STEP recommends and do not know enough about TES5EDIT to remove those dependencies. Thanks!

You could just install the ini tweaks and discard the patch. Simply uncheck the plugin.

Please have it as a separate download :-). Not all of us use the STEP Patches. For example' date=' I do not use the STEP patches because I do not use all the Gameplay mods that STEP recommends and do not know enough about TES5EDIT to remove those dependencies. Thanks![/quote']

You could just install the ini tweaks and discard the patch. Simply uncheck the plugin.

That is extremely true as well. Good idea man. 

Well I would certainly be in favour of having a "mod" in MO containing only the STEP ini tweaks. It is completely in line with the MO philosophy of keeping virgin vanilla files/folders (or as much as possible) and being profile specific.

I use the INI tweaks features for specific mod needs (the only one I can think of now is SFO grass texure tweaks) so that I don't have to write them into my skyrim inis, even profile specific ones.

The only reason I haven't gone further and implemented eg a STEP ini tweaks "mod" or an ENB ini tweaks "mod "is that I'd read about issues with MO writing changes directly to Skyrim inis (MO's ones). From what I remember this could be a problem with settings already in the skyrim inis (eg drawtreeshadows for ENB) but not for added settings (eg the bow aiming tweaks recommended by STEP).

Is any of that clear?!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk