Skyrim.exe - The Way It Should Have Been by Kahenraz

Kahenraz

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this program alter the registry in any way?

bFullScreen has no impact and neither do enblocal.ini [WINDOW] settings.

Did you extract everything from the mod's archive to /skyrim?

Make sure to turn both the ENBlocal.ini lines for [WINDOW] to false, if you are trying this. Also, in SkyrimPrefs.ini make sure bfullscreen=0, it might be ifullscreen, I forget off the top of my head.

False alarm.

I had changed my skyrimprefs.ini to bFull Screen=0 ... duh. I even looked at it several times and read this setting backwards :/

Anyway, I also just had success running this from inside MO with bFull Screen=1 ... strange indeed (no ENB this time though, so I will try to reproduce all of my previous issues)

I simply cannot reproduce the issue. Regardless of my INI settings for this mod or for Skyrim, I cannot get skyrim to run in windowed mode any longer, nor can I get this app to fail launching via MO again.

Very wierd. Need to be able to get windowed mode and full screen though as I choose based on the INI, so not sure what is happening there. Anybody finding the same?

Very, very, VERY strange ....

Here is a synopis of what happened in my case:

• Skyrim runs fine via MO-SKSE
  • I install this mod by placing relevant files into my directory
  • I set up a valid link to the EXE within MO (using the green/blue gears icon button)
  • I attempt to launch Skyrim via this mod through MO ... the launch window pops up, all is well until TESV.exe loads up and then ... this mod and TESV.exe both close.
  • I edited my SkyrimPrefs.ini per SRB's advice to bFull Screen=0
  • Still no luck launching from MO, although I verify that I can launch Skyrim.exe (this mod) directly from within my dir.
  • I try with/wo ENB and after adjusting this mods INI settings (StartFullScreen=false/true) and bFull Screen=0/1 ... nothing works, so I abandon this mod
  • I start up Skyrim via MO to do some more work, and I get a useless windowed mode that is slightly bigger than my monitor size.
  • I try running from MO, SKSE and the Skyrim Launcher outside of MO ... still get windowed mode (I now know that bFull Screen was set to zero in MO and USERPROFILE INIs, so that was apparently the problem).
  • Suddenly, as soon as I discover, fix and verify that, this mod begins mysteriously working from MO when I try to reproduce all of the above issues (without any luck at all!)!
  • Now, this mod works nicely fron MO and by directly invoking, but windowed mod will not work!
  • Windowed mod ONLY works if I invoke this app directly and not through MO.
  • I am currently using this in full screen mode from MO (because that is all that works, and it is convenient and handy), and will update this thread if I get any other mysterious artifacts that I cannot reproduce ... !
My conclusion: Mostly complete bafflement, but a strong suspicion that my issues are related to MO hooking process and some kind of caching relating to app behaviors. It would be great if someone could reproduce.

EDIT: bFull Screen behaves as expected when I set it under my USERPROFILE and launch Skyrim from outside of MO (this does not seem to invoke this app though). My guess is that MO is somehow launching via SKSE even when it invokes this app (skyrim.exe) and that is shy I am not able to control screen size of this app via its INI when launched via MO. However ... and this is weird ... I still get this app's Alt+Tab behavior ... inexplicable!

:?

Through MO in SkyrimPrefs.ini change the resolution to 1280x720, iSize H=720 & iSize W=1280, and then see if the borderless window mode works correctly because it will be smaller than your monitor and not a fake fullscreen. Also, remember ENB has fake fullscreen and borderless window.

All these INIs get f$%&!g annoying.

Through MO in SkyrimPrefs.ini change the resolution to 1280x720, iSize H=720 & iSize W=1280, and then see if the borderless window mode works correctly because it will be smaller than your monitor and not a fake fullscreen. Also, remember ENB has fake fullscreen and borderless window.

All these INIs get f$%&!g annoying.

Yes, this makes sense ... but the result is full screen with crappy res :lol: (no enblocal.ini and bFull Screen=0)

I edited my previous, so the same applies here I guess. MO hooking, INI settings and this app aren't playing nicely together I think.

Kahenraz seems like he knows his stuff and has been around here a bit so I'm sure we can ask him about some of this stuff. This mod with limited MO functionality is a problem for us, but I like the atl-tab and splash screen if we can all get it working correctly.

A stab in the dark here but I was wondering whether the issue that zed is getting might have to do with the "load mechanism" setting in MO?

Do explain ... I am not an MO expert ... yet.

Also, if anyone else could try to reproduce at least some of what I am talking about, that would help me with my sanity :P
EDIT: Tried it, but no change

A stab in the dark here but I was wondering whether the issue that zed is getting might have to do with the "load mechanism" setting in MO?

That shouldn't have an effect, and I doubt Z would have changed this setting if he could have.

Z, if you're using this mod, to get windowed mode, press ALT+Enter. I will say I didn't have any issues with it, but the ALT+Tabbing doesn't seem to work for me very well.

Well, I can reproduce the part where I can't break thing no matter what INI settings I input. It always starts for me, short of deleting some of it's files from /skyrim.

Did you mess with the Skyrim.ini this thing put in your/skyrim directory. I don't know what any of that stuff is, but I can't get any of them to break this thing. I'm actually pretty impressed that I can't break it without deleting some it's files.

In Mod Organizer's settings, in the workarounds tab, there's an option to choose a load mechanism, by default it's set to "Mod Organizer", which makes MO inject a dll in the skyrim executable so that the game would load MO's folders.

So what I was thinking is if that could be somehow conflicting with Skyrim.exe, since that's not one of the default executables. It's just a theory, mind you D:

That shouldn't have an effect, and I doubt Z would have changed this setting if he could have.

Z, if you're using this mod, to get windowed mode, press ALT+Enter. I will say I didn't have any issues with it, but the ALT+Tabbing doesn't seem to work for me very well.

Thanks ... that worked. However, isn't it still a problem that this mod's INI has no relevance under MO launch unless Alt+Enter is used while this is not true outside of MO execution? Also, the issues related to my XP (summarized in my prev post) are a bit odd, so it would seem that there are still some things to tweak to prevent confusion among users of thos mod and MO.

Lastly, can someone confirm that this mod invokes SKSE purposefully? I assume so, but want to be certain that launching via Skyrim.exe is expected to invoke SKSE-managed launch of SKyrim.

WOW, I have not changed a thing, and suddenly IT WON'T LAUNCH again O_o

I cant even do it directly:

Posted Image

... unable to inject DLL message follows after closing.

EDIT: I have just verified that this app altered two of my essential game files (TESV.exe or related DLL most likely ... the skyrim INIs??), and that caused the launch failure (because all works after reacquiring through Steam). I know this because I just reacquired two files that somehow changed within the last couple of hours since doing this the first time I corrected the launch failure issue. The problem is that I do not know shich two files were altered, nor do I know how to determine this if it happens again. Maybe a CRC check of the entire directory ....