Skyrim.exe - The Way It Should Have Been by Kahenraz

Kahenraz

Discussion thread:
Skyrim.exe-The Way It Should Have Been by Kahenraz
Wiki Link

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

I just bought Skyrim the other day and I was sad to see the state of the window provided to us by Bethesda.

Running it in window mode I experienced a lot of:

Where'd my cursor go? Argh! Stop taking focus! No.. I only wanted to drag your window around.. give me my mouse back!

So I wrote this to fix it. Works with or without SKSE. Uses BSD license so feel free to use it in S.T.E.P.

Accepted for STEP:Core 2.2.9 - What mods does this replace?

Issues running via MO need to be addressed

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anything about ENB but it should work just fine. Everything this tool does is at runtime and through Win32 OS window handling routines.

Interesting' date=' but I play Skyrim in Fullscreen mode.[/quote']

Ever wanted to alt-tab without losing your cursor? What about easily getting back into the game by clicking on the taskbar icon or using alt-tab to select the window?

If you ever leave full-screen for any reason, this tool still makes getting back into the game easy peasy.

Even for those who prefer full-screen, it has its uses. :)

I prefer full-screen mode as well. But the intelligent foreground manager for cursor visibility is still a godsend. And for modding the superior windowed mode is a pleasure.

I don't know anything about ENB but it should work just fine. Everything this tool does is at runtime and through Win32 OS window handling routines.

Interesting but I play Skyrim in Fullscreen mode.

Ever wanted to alt-tab without losing your cursor? What about easily getting back into the game by clicking on the taskbar icon or using alt-tab to select the window?

If you ever leave full-screen for any reason, this tool still makes getting back into the game easy peasy.

Even for those who prefer full-screen, it has its uses. :)

All, those things sound like something I would use. Will test it out later. Thanks for posting.

I realized after I finished that I'd made it much more complicated than necessary. If I decide to revise this later I have ideas for things such as:

• Aspect-ratio locked resizing
  • Bicubic interpolation on resize (currently nearest-neighbor)
  • Support for multiple instances
  • Always display the game image (never go black if foreground is lost)
Maybe more if I can think of anything. I was shocked after I'd finished that I'd stumbled upon a way to load multiple instances. Not what I was trying to do but still interesting nonetheless. :P

True' date=' but if you lose your cursor upon an Alt+Tab, a simple CTRL + ALT + Delete fixes that, and a simple double Alt+Tab back to Skyrim is the story of my life![/quote']

Stop! You're making my ears bleed. I fixed all of that. :ermm:

Ultimately it comes down to if ENB can be used or not... if not then it is not usable for a large segment of players.

And having to chose over better graphics or the ability to alt-tab.... I know what I want more! ;)

But that said it is nice that people still want to work on issues like this! Hopefully it will inspire the next title in the series to have more options!

From what I can tell, ENB seems to be a collection of things. Would someone please clarify what ENB is that everyone is referring to and where I can get it?

The functionality of this tool is entirely superficial so it should be compatible with most everything with the exception other tools which interact with the game window.

True but if you lose your cursor upon an Alt+Tab, a simple CTRL + ALT + Delete fixes that, and a simple double Alt+Tab back to Skyrim is the story of my life!

Stop! You're making my ears bleed. I fixed all of that.  :ermm:

You do realize I was being satirical, I hope. I was trying to prove that what you've done is a definite improvement. Needs more testing, but this looks very promising.

Virustotal reports on the files:

Skyrim.exe 8/50

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/439a626c5e8492865436ae29680a4acc3241aece2967f0214ab7aa094f895f51/analysis/1390424545/

NoLauncher.exe 9/50

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/811344e497a084d0cb8b850a0f3ab6220c2186822f13671220a86e9831764c4e/analysis/1390424694/

NoCursor.exe 1/50

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/169b39f79700ff57e7be570ddb75e48f5a9edd5a32dc2a3f60741b770c062e1a/analysis/1390424851/

With what exe compressor did you pack it to throw all these generics? I'm not sure I want to test a file like this. Of course, by the looks it is a false positive, but I'd prefer they didn't throw my school's network filter crazy.

I'm sorry, was this the mod that turned your character into a Thalmor justicar and have you chased by the niikhavoD? Or did I mix that up with S3YR1M.exe? Well, I did know that the mod caused the monitor to suddenly garrote my friend, and I had to slice up the motherboard in order to remove it fully. Man, what a weekend that was. Never get mods from Steam Workshop again. (end reference to really stupid creepypasta)

Anyway, ENB is a post processing library that typically injects itself as a wrapper to the D3D API, and allows modders to customize what the image looks like. Many, many presets have been made to try out. It also provides a way to work around the 3.1 GB crash issue with ENBoost

I'm sorry, was this the mod that turned your character into a Thalmor justicar and have you chased by the niikhavoD? Or did I mix that up with S3YR1M.exe? Well, I did know that the mod caused the monitor to suddenly garrote my friend, and I had to slice up the motherboard in order to remove it fully. Man, what a weekend that was. Never get mods from Steam Workshop again. (end reference to really stupid creepypasta)

Are you trying to confirm that it is a false positive?