CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

Hello,

I was able to find this website https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/directx-june-2010-asks-what-location-to-put/5e5ba845-09eb-4209-8a4c-d00e92cb0724?page=2 that has detailed instructions for installing the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe file.  I would suggest that you put this link in your guide because I might not be the only ignorant person in the world.  ::):

When a person is installing STEP and comes to installing ENBoost they will click on the Notes and be taken to the https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost page.  It might be a good idea to put on that page a link to the CTD on Launch section of the Guide: ENB.  If a noobie is having problems with ENBoost there is nothing to direct the noobie to the CTD on Launch information. 

Once I had properly installed the Direct End-User Runtimes program I saw that the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe file contains DXSETUP.exe plus supporting files.  In my second post I said that I had run DXSETUP.exe several times and it did not solve the problem.  

Since installing the DirectX 9c files multiple times did not solve the problem I believe that my next move should be to uninstall Mod Organizer and then reinstall it.  It might help, and if it doesn't I will not have lost that much time.  I have noted that some of the mods in the STEP 2.2.9.1, such as Cutting Room Floor, will now ONLY work with USLEEP.  Since I can no longer install the complete STEP 2.2.9.1 I guess that I should install 2.2.9.2 rather than the slowly disintergrating 2.2.91.

I thank you all for your assistance.  It was greatly appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

My ENBoost problem has been solved.  I was starting a new PC and decided to give ENBoost another try.  I downloaded the files again from Boris' site.  It worked perfect first time.  I had downloaded the files from Boris' site multiple times when I had first posted.  I have made no changes to my computer's hardware or software since my last post.  Either Boris made a change to v.279 or the 7 Divines have blessed me.  Thanks again for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I cannot believe what a difference this has made.  I was having crashing issues pretty much everytime I'd transition from an interior to the exterior world...didn't matter where it was Dawnstar, Falkreath, Whiterun, Windhelm, etc...I traced the issue to ETAC Complete Merged.  I was testing some things out and had forgot to turn ENBoost back on.  I came across the STEP forum talking about ETAC and saying that ENBoost was required(all the time not just with that mod), even without running an ENB(I currently had it off), and amazingly enough as soon as I followed the instructions and turned ENBoost on the crashes stopped completely.  I added almost all the mods back in on top of ETAC including the various SkyProc Patchers(ASIS, AV, EBD, and PatchusMaximus) and still no issues.  

I even tried to crash it by setting my speedmult to 15000, TGM and TCL and started flying all over the place.  Had a lot of lag waiting for the textures to load because I was going so fast, but still no crashes!  Amazing how this one thing can allow me to play with an extra 50 mods and make it very stable on top of that!

Edited by Matter2003

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is this thread not in the Extenders section? Moved.

I added a big warning to the mod page because users are changing the [THREADS] section without having a clue what it does.

Maybe you should put this in the changelog immediately.

I stumbled over this because i was plagued by horrible stutters throughout my entire playthrough and wanted to double-check my enboost settings again.

The changes are massive. Stutters almost entirely gone. DataSyncMode was set to 1 by default in enblocal.ini and i am pretty sure there was no instruction to change this value before!

Edited by Akatosh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Quick question...

I recently "downgraded" back to Windows 7 64 bit from 10 in order to avoid being shoehorned into 4096GB of available memory, as I have 8GB system RAM and a 4GB 750ti card, but VramSizeDX9.exe still has my available RAM at 4096GB. What gives?

Make sure you install the DX9 Runtimes and then try again. You may simply be limited it that. Was it higher on Win7 before the upgrade to 10?

To be honest, I didn't find S.T.E.P. until after I'd made the switch to 10. Of course, that wasn't my only issue with 10... It had an annoying tendency to BSOD occasionally after loading, when it would access my network adaptor during startup, or it would return a "kmode exception not handled" fatality. It wasn't constant, & I figured I'd eventually be able to track down the offending drivers, but when I read that 10 would never use more than 4 gigs of my RAM for Skyrim & other DX9 apps, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by DJenser

Make sure you install the DX9 Runtimes and then try again. You may simply be limited it that. Was it higher on Win7 before the upgrade to 10?

Oh crap, I just realized what you meant by that... My fresh install of Win7 would have DX11, not DX9, wouldn't it?

It wouldn't have all the DX9 components needed. That's why you have to install the runtimes.

So, without those components, Windows 7 treats the VRamSizeDX9.exe as just another 32 bit application, with a max allowable allocation of 4 gigs, despite being 64 bit itself? That would explain why the DX11.exe showed my available RAM in the neighborhood of 10 gigs... I'll do that as soon as I get home. Just another item on a LONG laundry list of things I need to do to get my game running again. Well, fresh OS, fresh start. Now I can reinstall everything properly, starting with SKSE. I copied the mods folder to my desktop so I wouldn't have to hunt them all down again when I reinstall MO, which is going to be a chore in and of itself, since I don't think I have the right version of .NET or Visual C++ redists installed yet either.

Edited by DJenser

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to ask if I can update my ENBoost installation midgame by just replacing the d3d9.dll, enbhost.exe, and enblocal.ini in my Skyrim directory? I would just use my old values for

• ReservedMemorySizeMb=512 <-- here I could even lower the value with the new ENBoost, I guess

• VideoMemorySizeMb=6646

and change the mandatory

[GLOBAL]UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=trueUseDefferedRendering=false
[ENGINE]EnableVSync=trueVSyncSkipNumFrames=0

settings.

Edited by BUBISHI