CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

Hello,

I am afraid that I am one of the unlucky people whose Skyrim crashes when using ENBoost.  I have tried all of the remedies that I could find on the web including downloading the dxwebsetup.exe DX9c fix mentioned in TechAngel85's post above.  The dxwebsetup program ran.  I rebooted the system and ran Skyrim and it crashed as always at the opening Bethesda screen where you see in the upper left corner that ENBoost is running.  Was there something else I had to do beyond running the program and rebooting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Hello,  Thank you for your reply.

After I posted my first post I reran both dxsetup.exe and Default Pack.exe in the Skyrim folder and also in the Skyrim\DirectX10 folder.  The DXsetup program when run a couple of days ago did replace all of the files in the Skyrim\DirectX10 folder.  Rerunning the programs did not install any new files. 

The original TESV.exe has been renamed TES_.exe.  The current TESV.exe is the SKSE program.

All of my Skyrim files are on D: while Windows 7 and all of the other programs are installed on C: .  Could this be part of the problem ?

In answer to your question and also provide other information that has been asked for in previous posts like mine:  The computer is brand new.  The only programs installed on the computer are Windows 7, Steam, Skyrim Legendary, Adobe Flash and Reader, Mozilla Firefox, 7ZIP, Java 8, and various drivers from Asmedia, Intel, NVIDIA, and Realtek.  All of these programs have been updated to their latest revision.  My intention was to install STEP 2.2.9.1 Extended.  I started at the top of the STEP install guide and did every instruction down to and including 2C Stable uGrids ToLoad.  At that point I wanted to see what the game looked like.  It ran and crashed when launched through Mod Organizer.  It did not crash when I loaded the game outside of Mod Organizer.

I have double checked and triple checked all of the changes needed for the INI files for enblocal, SKSE, Skyrim and Skyrimprefs.  The NVIDIA Inspector has been installed and the STEP recommended changes made.  The Update and DLC esm files have been cleaned per STEP instructions.

Boris' VRAM test showed 13,952.  I set the number at 8,192.

My computer uses an Intel i5 6600K, Asus Hero viii mobo, Asus STRIX GTX 980 TI 6GB VRAM, and 32GB DDR4 RAM.  Is ENBoost compatible with DDR4 memory?

In my tests I have run Skyrim loading only Skyrim, Update.esm and the three DLCs - Dawnguard, Hearthfires, and Dragonborn in that order.

If there is any other information you need please let me know.

Edited by Rogdon

No, this isn't likely to be the problem. All of the DirectX files are usually in C:\Windows\System32 and/or C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

Going back to the beginning for a moment, can you run vanilla Skyrim without any mods (other than the Bethesda DLCs) or add-ons? The first step should be to run the Skyrim Launcher so it can create the appropriate registry entries and setup the ini files. Once this is complete, you should be able to run Skyrim in a pure vanilla state without any issues.

If this is a DirectX issue, it may be that you need to run the DirectX June 2010 Update because the DirectX installer bundled with Skyrim doesn't include the updated version of DirectX needed by the game, and Microsoft makes it as difficult as possible to figure out which update is the latest.

Hello Greg,

Skyrim vanilla runs fine when started outside of Mod Organizer using Skyrim, Update, and the three DLCs - nothing else.  When I run the game through Mod Organizer it is using those same 5 files.  Of course SKSE and ENBoost are also being loaded since they are installed.  Removing the d3d9.dll from the Skyrim folder stops the crashes when run through Mod Organizer.

I have run the June 10 program.  That is the "Default Pack.exe" that I mentioned in my second post.

I went into C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and C:\Windows\System32 .  SysWOW64 had a subfile for DirectX, but it was empty.  System32 did not have and subfolder called directX. 

Do you need any other information?

Edited by Rogdon

The one you mention is not the June 10 one. You ran the DirectX 10 one. ENBoost requires the DirectX 11 one, which is called June 2010 to confuse people who are not smarter than a fifth grader.

And what the heck is Default Pack.exe??? Never ran an executable called that in my life. You sure it isn't a virus?

Hello,

dxwebsetup.exe and Default Pack.exe were download directly from Microsoft.  Both programs were supposed to add the DirectX 9 files to the existing DirectX 11 that came with Windows 7.  I have not run the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe.  Where would you like me to install it?

Hello TechAngel85,

I have all three of the ENB files in the Skyrim directory.  When I want to run the vanilla version outside of Mod Organizer I delete the d3d9.dll file.  I have a copy of d3d9.dll on my desktop so restoring d3d9.dll to the Skyrim directory takes a couple of seconds.

At the moment there is no anti-virus program installed.  Once the game is up and running I will temporarily install an anti-virus program on it.  The computer is dedicated strictly to Skyrim, nothing else.  The only connection with the internet will be to log into Steam.

As I said I have tried to follow the STEP Guide along the way.  In the STEP Guide under the CTD on Game Launch section it says "Windows 7 users can download DX9 from Microsoft here."  If you click on that link it takes you to a page to reinstall Windows 10.  I did not run the DirectX End-User Runtimes because the STEP Guide said it was for Windows 8 and 10.

I am now downloading DirectX SDK.  Which DirectX file should I try first, DirectX SDK or Direct End User Runtime?  Into which directories should I install these programs?

As mentioned above, I have installed STEP 2.2.9.1 Extended through STEP 2C.  I have followed all of the STEP instructions and have double and triple checked the INI files.  Somehow I missed the instruction to try DirectX SDK .  My apologioes.

Hello,

I have run the DirectX SDK program several times.  It crashes during the C++ installation saying "Errors were encountered during installation of restributable packages.  Error Code S1023".  In the hope that at least enough files had been installed I ran Skyrim through Mod Organizer.  This time I got to the Main Menu.   However in Bold Red letters across the top of the screen it said that ENBoost was not running and to try to run it as administrator.

I guess my next step is to try the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe file.  That program does require that the user give it a location to install the files.  Which directory should I use?

Edited by Rogdon

Did it really say to try to run as administrator? Because it always has big bold red letters when you're only running ENBoost.

It should say... Patch speedhack something ENBoost turned on. Graphics modification disabled. And in big bold red letters.

If it say that, it's working. No touchy!

The exact error message is "Error ENBHOST.EXE process failed, try run as administrator or add to anti virus exclusion list"

I can still try installing the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe file.  That program does require that the user give it a location to install the files.  Which directory should I use?