CTD and Performance patch ENBoost (by Boris Vorontsov)

EssArrBee

I don't normally go on forums and post myself asking for help, but after 3 weeks of trying to get a newly modded skyrim without success, and not finding my exact problem, I've come here. Hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm not using the full STEP setup (I'm leaving out the LODS and I have a few different textures I prefer), but this looks like the place to ask about ENBoost.

Anyways, my issue is related to trying to install ENBoost and successfully boot with it. I just upgraded my computer, so I got a clean install of Windows 10, which also means a clean install of Skyrim. I followed the steps, and was ready to go, but the moment I launch Skyrim, I CTD right away, right before the main menu loads. I traced it down to ENBoost. I take it out, I can run the game no problem, although without it, I can tell I'm not as stable with my textures and whatnot. I tried the Wrapper and the Injector. I tried about a dozen different .ini configurations in the Skyrim.ini, SkyrimPrefs.ini and enboost.ini. I've gone through the forums here, and at the Nexus, but nothing I've tried seems to work. I even tried taking ALL my mods out, deleting Skyrim totally, as well as any tools or file/folder remnants of Skyrim related anythings. I then re-installed vanilla Skyrim, and tried to run with just SKSE/Memory Patch and ENBoost. Same thing, CTD at menu, right after the Bethesda logo.

Does anyone here have any tips that might get me going?

I know my machine can do it, it has an i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 670SC 4GB VRAM. And I've run with ENBoost and SKSE before. I'm guessing something changed when I did the full clean install, but after 3 weeks of tinkering, I can't figure it out.

Help?

The link you provided wouldn't work, it's for 98, ME, 2000, or XP, and I'm running 10. Shouldn't Skyrim have installed DirectX 9 itself? Or am I going to have to go try to find a installer for DirectX 9 that supports 10? Or am I going to need Windows 7 to play Skyrim appropriately, even though I HAVE had it running with ENBoost and SKSE on 10 before I did the reinstall.

OK, I'll get my search on, and see what I come up with. If/when I find a link that works, I will post it back on here, to aid anyone who follows.

Edit: OK, I found it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

This is a link to install DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)​, which fixed my problem. Thanks TechAngel, I can finally run ENBoost again!

Edited by tegimaster

• 1 month later...

Hi,

When I check the Total Available Graphics Memory in the adapter properties, I get 12258 MB. However, the DX9 VRAMtool only indicates 2112 Mb. Why such a difference? Which value should I put in the enblocal.ini then?

My system is Win10 x64, with 16GB RAM and two GTX 670 (2GB) in SLI

Thanks!

Thanks!

Another question: if I deactivate SLI, the VRAM tool indicates 4GBs.

Would it be better then, for a STEP Core installation + ENB, to use only a single GTX670, with VideoMemorySizeMb~4000, or two GTX670 in SLI with VideoMemorySizeMb~2000?

Hi TechAngel85, I've just read through the last 10 pages of this thread and was wondering if you could help me!  :innocent:

I have 16gb of system RAM, a 6gb video card and run Windows 10; the DX9 tool reports 4064mb is available... Should I go with 6gb - 350mb or with the value the tool provides - 350?

Thank you in advance.  :blush: