Run For Your Lives (by Arthmoor)

frihyland

Wow, 1-4 didn't work.  I guess my game is corrupted?  I'll have to look into the non-MO mod files as well as the vanilla game files.  I'll keep you updated.  This is getting to be a lot more of a pain than I ever thought it would.  8(

Edited by oqhansoloqo

OK, I swear now that there MUST be a problem with this mod (and possibly Arthmoor's other one - When Vampires Attack).

I have removed all SSME/SMAA/ENboost/etc extra files from my Skyrim installation folder, verified my game cache, and it ended up downloading a few files (though those files were BSAs that I previously removed after DDSOpt optimizing them because they were no longer needed when the optimized textures were loaded through Mod Organizer).  Anyway, so I started a brand new game, rushed through the game to the first unnamed dragon attack (it was outside Whiterun).  People get scared and run off a little to cower (most at the start of the attack), but no one runs inside any building, and everyone eventually gets the balls to start fighting.  The ONLY mod I have installed into the game data directory itself is "Run for Your Lives".  I am running the game from outside of MO through the normal launcher and I have ticked off "Run for Your Lives.esp" in the "DATA FILES" part of the launcher.

I give up on this mod.  From all I can tell, it's broken and does not work as intended/described.  Did other people here try the newest version of the mod, because that's the one that I'm using.

I'm not using SKSE either because the mod author does not say it's required.  I'm running the latest version of Skyrim.  I have all 3 DLCs installed...

Edited by oqhansoloqo

OK, I swear now that there MUST be a problem with this mod (and possibly Arthmoor's other one - When Vampires Attack)...the first unnamed dragon attack (it was outside Whiterun)...

I think this particular occurrence is outside the expected scope of the mod (quoting it's description page)

"A small mod that makes citizens in a village or city run indoors during a dragon attack."

If the attack in question occurred outside a town I wouldn't expect the script to activate.

FWIW if you need a solution for important (quest related) npcs surviving dragon attacks, you might consider Deadly Dragons. You can use its MCM to make important npcs essential (and set all other features to Vanilla). This doesn't help with understanding RFYL conflicts/issues of course.

You mean it's not supposed to activate and work on the NPCs outside the front of Whiterun between Whiterun, Pelagia Farms, and Honningbrew Meadery?

EDIT: and if that's the case, how should I be testing this mod to make sure it's working right?  Where should I go and how should I trigger a dragon attack?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I'm pretty sure the RYL Script will activate during any Dragon attack where NPC's are present, based on Arthmoor's description and what I have seen in game:

NPCs who live in the attack location who own a home there will retreat to it. If the attack location has an inn, NPCs who don't live there will flee to the inn, along with any NPCs who live outdoors. If no inn is present the game picks a random interior from the surrounding area and those NPCs will flee there instead.

This should work for any NPCs added by mods as well, up to a limit of 150 in the area. After that, they're on their own. The NPCs chosen are first come, first serve by the game engine.

Guards, members of The Companions, Vigilants of Stendaar, and the player's followers/teammates will not run, they will stand and fight. Farm animals will not run either, because they're stupid.

If there's no interior nearby, the NPC's run and cower at a distance also the patch notes refer to wilderness scripting behavior.

Unlike When Vampires Attack*, I'm persuaded to believe that RYL is functioning as intended in my mod build. Obviously, with scripts, the interaction with other scripted mods...your mileage will vary.

*WVA is inherently flawed because vampire attacks have more variables then dragon attacks: number of attackers, locations, number of NPC's, behavior of vampires (flee, hide, indoors)

• +1 1

Kuldebar, can I ask you to check to see if you are using the newest version of "Run for Your Lives" and the newest version of Skyrim?

Also, much more importantly - had you started a new game since upgrading to the newest version of RfYL and Skyrim?  If not, do you mind starting one and rushing to get to the first unnamed dragon attack outside of Whiterun?  It actually doesn't take that long to do if you use "TCL" and "COC" console commands as well as "wait".  Might take 1/2 hour to 45 min once commenced.

[spoiler=Possible spoiler (hardly)]Run through Helgen as fast as possible. Then "TCL" up to the back exit of Bleak Falls Barrow and through the rock door. Grab the first shout and use the "kill" command on the Draugr to grab the Dragonstone. COC to Whiterun. Talk to Balgruf all the way to the dragon investigation quest. COC to the Western Watch Tower. "kill" command on Mirmulnir (works once he lands). Return to Balgruf. Then just have to wait 3 days. Then "COC "Whiterun" and start running west along the road - I always get an unnamed dragon coming over Whiterun towards me. Lure it towards Pelagia Farms and see how NPCs respond to it.

If you could do that then we can really determine if it's working for you now or not.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Yes, the latest version of RYL

oqhansoloqo: I have removed all SSME/SMAA/ENboost/etc extra files from my Skyrim installation folder...I'm not using SKSE either because the mod author does not say it's required.

I just caught some of your trouble-shooting posts...you are shooting in the dark. If you use Mod Organizer (and if you don't you are shooting yourself in the foot, as well as the dark!) here's my suggestion:

Just run the game from the Skyrim Launcher with only the Bethesda Files  (no MO, no SKSE, just official game files -the ENB matters not in the least, leave it be) installed AND RYL placed in the DATA folder. That will be a true test and provide a baseline for proper mod behavior.

Now CoC around to towns and villages and spawn dragons for testing...see what there is to see.

With your full mod build you will not realize you have a scripting conflict unless in the unlikely chance that a script uses the same name as another and then one will simply replace the other.

So begin a process of elimination, don't waste time on mods that don't use scripts in them. For example, my current mod build has over 2200 scripts installed:

Posted Image

Edited by Kuldebar

Huh?  That's exactly what I already last did.  I said in that same post:

"The ONLY mod I have installed into the game data directory itself is "Run for Your Lives".  I am running the game from outside of MO through the normal launcher and I have ticked off "Run for Your Lives.esp" in the "DATA FILES" part of the launcher"

I normally do use MO, I didn't recently just to see if it was a problem with MO or not.  The results have me thinking the only problem is with RfYL itself.  I'm thinking that people not having problems have upgraded their current saved game without starting a brand new game with the newest version of the mod.  That's why I'm asking if you could check this out with a new game on your computer.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

oqhansoloqo, on 25 Apr 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Huh?  That's exactly what I already last did.  I said in that same post:

And you spawned how many other dragons in how many other areas with NPC's?

Quote...People get scared and run off a little to cower (most at the start of the attack), but no one runs inside any building...

As I said, you need a baseline and a good sample of behavior.

Even in your posted example of RYL "not working" -it was actually working according to the mod's description of the parameters of its scripted behavior:

Quote...the citizens will run to safety like smart people should when faced with the horrors of giant flying fire breathing lizards. NPCs who live in the attack location who own a home there will retreat to it. If the attack location has an inn, NPCs who don't live there will flee to the inn, along with any NPCs who live outdoors. If no inn is present the game picks a random interior from the surrounding area and those NPCs will flee there instead.

This should work for any NPCs added by mods as well, up to a limit of 150 in the area. After that, they're on their own.

Also, you haven't made any weird Papyrus Tweaks have you? That's the only other thing that could conceivably cause scripts to fire incorrectly in a clean test...which to be honest...doesn't appears to be the case...based on your given example. Chart more behavior...not enough information at present.

Edited by Kuldebar

Not sure if it has been mentioned but there is a difference between dragons, some of them will not trigger the event, since they do not have the proper flags for it. 

Same reason why some dragons you spawn will only attack guards, but not you. 

I forgot the specifics, but as I recall then the ones that do not attack you wont trigger the response either... I know that most of the dragons from deadly dragons do trigger it... however there will always be some NPC´s who just stand their ground... but perhaps this is because I normally tested the mod in solitude rather then some random village. 

Again sorry if this chunk has already been covered and mentioned! 

Well, I did try "spawning" (using console command) a dragon in Riverwood during the same test.  NPCs do not go into buildings, some just stand there with weapons out (like the blacksmith) and others cower.  No one runs inside.  They seemed to be acting about the same as the NPCs outside of Whiterun with the dragon that spawned by normal game progression near Honningbrew Meadery outside of Whiterun (the one I talked about in my previous posts).

No, it's not acting like the mod says it should.  People should be running to certain buildings and going inside.  Everyone but specific faction NPCs (guards, vigilants of stendarr, etc).  No I'm not running any weird Papyrus Tweaks.  I already said that I cleaned my game files using Steam and ran the game outside of MO.

EDIT:  I remember reading in a couple places that all dragons spawned using the vanilla spawn system trigger the NPC RfYL response.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

OK, now I'm starting to think that a lot of STEP modders think this mod is working for them, but it's actually not.

Can some people offer to test this mod out as I described - with a brand new game?

EDIT:  one person on the Nexus forum for this mod claimed to have tried it with a new game and it worked for him.  I just came up with another idea.  I bought my copy of Skyrim.  Is it "possible" that everyone who is using this mod and having it work properly are all using copies of the same warez copy of Skyrim?  I don't know if it would make a difference, but it's seriously the only thing at this point that I can come up with.  Maybe I need to find a warez copy of SKyrim on the internet and install that - I don't know.

I mean, other scripted mods work for me, such as Wet & Cold, for example... and Skyrim Immersive Creatures... and iNeed.

What is the deal?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

RYL is working for me as much as I expect it to...do all NPC's always walk lockstep to shelter during a dragon attack...probably not, I don't take an accounting of them... But, most do take shelter, yes...I've seen it...because they pour out of the buildings when I kill the dragon...at Kynesgrove, Riverwood and Falkreath, for example. papyrus can only do so much...there is a plus and minus delineation to these things. 

I'm level 46 and I've been using RYL for the whole game so far and the games before this one. The mod works fine for me and I've never had an issue.

If NPC's aren't responding correctly than you either have a mod conflict or too many NPC's are being added by mods and the AI is stalling.

I use the whole "Populated Series and Travellers of Skyrim and all of Immersive Partrols and ETaC...so  if the odd NPC fails to run..I just don't worry too much, but I have to say I haven't noticed a problem.

When I fight dragons I only have to look out for guards and other excluded type NPC's. Usually it's just me fighting.

As soon as that dragon dies though, 6-15 NPC's start gathering up around the bones.