Run For Your Lives (by Arthmoor)

frihyland

I think any 700 series Nvidia card now has support for recording through the Nvidia Experience thing. Only ever pay attention to CUDA updates when I update drivers, so you'd have to look into it for more detail.

I didn't know that. Looked into it.... It's called Shadow Play. Looks interesting! Works on 600 and 700 card series: https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/system-requirements

Some FAQs

Q: What is ShadowPlay?

A: NVIDIA GeForce ShadowPlay is a feature in GeForce Experience that lets you capture or stream high-quality in-game footage with minimal performance impact. ShadowPlay has four modes: Shadow Mode, Manual Mode, Shadow + Manual combined mode and and Twitch mode.

Shadow Mode records up to the last 20 minutes of your game play. Manual mode lets you toggle recording on and off like a video recorder. Combined mode (default) lets you use both features at the same time. Twitch mode lets you stream to Twitch so others can watch your game.

Q: How long can I record for?

A: On Windows 8, ShadowPlay can record up to 20 minutes of video in Shadow Mode. There is no recording limit in Manual Mode.

On Windows 7 or Windows Vista, ShadowPlay can record up to 10 minutes of video in Shadow Mode and up to 4GB (around 15 minutes) of video in Manual Mode.

Q: What's the performance impact of ShadowPlay?

A: In most games, you shouldn't see a noticeable performance difference with ShadowPlay. 5% is typical, 10% in the most demanding cases.

In NVIDIA SLI® mode at higher frame rates, the performance impact can be higher.

Q: What video format is used by ShadowPlay?

A: ShadowPlay encodes video using H.264 at up to 50 Mbps. It outputs in MP4 format, which is compatible with popular players such as Windows Media Player, VLC, and YouTube.

Q: What resolution does ShadowPlay support?

A: ShadowPlay outputs at 1920 x 1020 resolution. Game play at higher or lower resolutions is scaled to 1080p.

Q: What is typical file size for ShadowPlay videos?

A: A minute of recording takes about 165 MB at medium quality.

Q: Does ShadowPlay support games in windowed mode ?

A: ShadowPlay can record your whole desktop, including any games running in a window.

I might have to test it out and compare it to FRAPS.

Shadowplay only works for desktop cards, it's not just any 600 or 700 series card that can run it

Nope... according to requirements it works on all 600 and 700 series desktop cards and some mobiles

GeForce TITAN, GTX 700, GTX 600

GeForce GTX 800M, GTX 700M, select GTX 600M

Recording software:NVIDIA's Shadowplay is free: Shadow Play Tutorial and Overview.D3DGear has a 15-days-trial version.LoiLo Game Recorder is free. it works nicely, but the company doesn't seem to believe in support.SMRecorder is another basic but functional alternative. The mic audio is a nice feature. BUT if the company hasn't changed its politics, definitely do a custom installation -- otherwise you end up with unwanted toolbars etc.

[Actually, I'd advise to always do a custom installation with every software, even if it's just a new version of a program you already know. Unless you like to be surprised by adware and other privacy deteriorating tools. ;)]Back on topic, I wouldn't use the resource-hungry Camtasia for your purpose; FRAPS free recording function is too limited.

Dxtory's trial version is an alternative -- but when I last saw it in action, the watermark was too prominent for my taste. OTOH, the paid version is one of the best programs if you want to record videos on a regular basis.Editor:The free Windows Movie Maker will work fine: "Edit your movies" and "How to Use Windows Movie Maker".

Edited by thommaal

Shadow Play is the best option here I think unless the user needs to edit. Shadow Play's encoding is pretty much ready for upload as is. The others will most likely work for this as well; however, Shadow Play is pretty much following YouTube's recommendations for videos as is without the need to re-encode it.

Off topic... Be envious! :devil: I have all the super expensive programs for this stuff from my college days (adobe photoshop, abode premiere pro, windows 8, etc). Free software and college go hand in hand!

As to whether or not my particular NVIDIA 700 series card supports Shadowplay - it's all good, because my particular card does support it.  It was already installed. ;)  I'm going to use that program.  Thank you TechAngel85 and EssArrBee - now I don't have to install new software for this.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAlA7lNaTDA&feature=youtu.be

Example of how installing the Skyrim mod, Run for Your Lives, doesn't work properly on my computer.  Note: Mod Organizer (newest version 1.2 used), DDSOptimized vanilla game texture files, all 3 DLCs installed, only mod beyond those installed is "Run for Your Lives" (allowed MO to unpack the BSA in the mod).  I have also tried running the mod installed directly into the data directory and not using MO, but just enabling the mod through the Skyrim Launcher.  In addition, I tried running the mod with a full S.T.E.P. mod list.  I have also tried running the mod with the full S.T.E.P. mod list and extra mods I added on top of those.  In every single circumstance I get the same results as seen in this video.  The results can be described as: While the dragon is flying - NPCs with melee weapons run around with no clear goal, stand around with weapon out (waiting for the dragon to land), or cower.  NPCs with ranged weapons attack.  When the dragon lands in NPC-accessible area - melee NPCs attack.  This can easily be seen when the dragon is weak and can no longer fly, everyone mobs the dragon because he is on the ground.  No one ever runs inside any building the entire time - isn't that supposed to be the main purpose of the mod.  The majority of NPCs are supposed to escape the scene so they can't get killed during the attack.

I started from the beginning of the game (new game) and progressed the game through escaping from Helgen, grabbing the Dragonstone and shout from Bleak Falls Barrow, defeating Mirmulnir, told by Balgruf to seek the Greybeards, and then I waited 3 days and went to Riverwood and walked near cell border to trigger dragon encounter.  Since beginning the game to getting the dragon attack to happen through the normal game system I did not alter any mod configurations.

If I had been using any mod that makes dragons more powerful, nearly the entire village population would have been decimated from this attack.  And yes, I do prefer to normally use a mod that makes dragons more difficult.  I think most Skyrim modders do.

Skip to 5:15 for point in which I was able to get the dragon to actually attack.

oqhansoloqo, on 27 Apr 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:oqhansoloqo, on 27 Apr 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:oqhansoloqo, on 27 Apr 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:oqhansoloqo, on 27 Apr 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAlA7lNaTDA&feature=youtu.be

Example of how installing the Skyrim mod, Run for Your Lives, doesn't work properly on my computer.  Note: Mod Organizer (newest version 1.2 used), DDSOptimized vanilla game texture files, all 3 DLCs installed, only mod beyond those installed is "Run for Your Lives" (allowed MO to unpack the BSA in the mod).  I have also tried running the mod installed directly into the data directory and not using MO, but just enabling the mod through the Skyrim Launcher.  In addition, I tried running the mod with a full S.T.E.P. mod list.  I have also tried running the mod with the full S.T.E.P. mod list and extra mods I added on top of those.  In every single circumstance I get the same results as seen in this video.  The results can be described as: While the dragon is flying - NPCs with melee weapons run around with no clear goal, stand around with weapon out (waiting for the dragon to land), or cower.  NPCs with ranged weapons attack.  When the dragon lands in NPC-accessible area - melee NPCs attack.  This can easily be seen when the dragon is weak and can no longer fly, everyone mobs the dragon because he is on the ground.  No one ever runs inside any building the entire time - isn't that supposed to be the main purpose of the mod.  The majority of NPCs are supposed to escape the scene so they can't get killed during the attack.

I started from the beginning of the game (new game) and progressed the game through escaping from Helgen, grabbing the Dragonstone and shout from Bleak Falls Barrow, defeating Mirmulnir, told by Balgruf to seek the Greybeards, and then I waited 3 days and went to Riverwood and walked near cell border to trigger dragon encounter.  Since beginning the game to getting the dragon attack to happen through the normal game system I did not alter any mod configurations.

If I had been using any mod that makes dragons more powerful, nearly the entire village population would have been decimated from this attack.  And yes, I do prefer to normally use a mod that makes dragons more difficult.  I think most Skyrim modders do.

Skip to 5:15 for point in which I was able to get the dragon to actually attack.

Question: What's the Mod Organizer Warning you have? It's not telling you to move any files in the left-side window is it?

Example: 

Posted Image

Yes, no debate that you are getting bad results with RYL (basically you are getting identical to vanilla NPC behavior) and it does not correlate with my own experience using the latest RYL in a new game (one in which I am almost level 50 now and have had a number of dragon encounters in towns and villages.)

One point of curiosity: I don't run my game from the Skyrim/Steam Launcher I use the SKSE shortcut in Mod Organizer myself:

"C:Mod OrganizerModOrganizer.exe" "F:/Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/skse_loader.exe"

...it's not supposed to make a difference but I have had issues with the launcher overriding my mods and mod order in the past and so stopped using it altogether.

Edited by Kuldebar

It's nothing - just telling me I have files in my overwrite mod/folder.  I left the bashed patch for the test run in there (instead of making a special mod folder just for it) - that's all.

Looks like you aren't alone in having an issue with the latest RYL...but it's not a universal problem because the mod is working for many others. I'm sure Arthmoor will relook at things and perhaps find the flaw which is breaking it for some players who have some element in their mod configurations that trigger the issue. Did you post the video on the mod page for Arthmoor?

Be warned...he distrusts Mod Organizer in a rather luddite-like manner.

That's part of the reason that for one of the tests (a test prior to the one in the video) I didn't use MO at all - to show that it's not an issue with MO.  I'll put a link to the video up on the Nexus mod page - good idea.

EDIT:  Previously, when testing with STEP Extended modlist only (no extra custom mods added beyond STEP Extended), I used the SKSE loader instead of the Skyrim Launcher and it was still doing the same thing as can be seen in the video.  I can try it again though - I'll do it later tonight.  There won't be another video though, unless NPC behavior changes...  :)

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Got to hand it to Arthmoor, he gave you a pretty good response. Is he characterizing the test scenario correctly:

QuoteQuoteQuote

I'm afraid that video proves nothing other than your ability to kite dragons out of the locations they start from and drag them around the map. If you're suggesting that this obviously contrived footage means anything I'm afraid you're mistaken.

Plus, I'm not even sure it's been played entirely legit. You're still getting the prompts from Dragon Rising to use your shout ability for the first time. Random dragon encounters don't begin spawning until the player is level 10 or higher, and the variable "DragonsReturned" is turned on. That variable is not turned on until after MQ105 starts. So the circumstances for how you got a random dragon to appear are extremely suspect.

As I've made perfectly clear, the system does NOT respond to manually spawned dragons. It responds to only 3 specific random events set up by the game, none of which will function until Dragon Rising is complete. And do keep in mind, this also means the non-hostile flyby event that exists is NOT covered since the dragon spawned by it isn't going to attack you.

Edited by Kuldebar

Not a bad suggestion, but I think editing particular NPC records to flag them protected is a little more invasive with a greater potential for conflict then attaching a script to modify general AI NPC Class behavior. Scripts, in many respects can be like "free agents" leaving the individual record untouched and thus not compromising compatibility in most cases. Consider how script-based mods like EFF, iNeeds (refill water) and Immersive Armors (to a lesser degree) modify NPC's without editing the actual NPC record.

Actually, Deadly Dragon does not modify those NPC records (seeing as how the option is toggleable with the ingame menu, that would be impossible to implement that way, so it's actually handled by scripts)