Run For Your Lives (by Arthmoor)

frihyland

Something to consider: This may be scripted to only work in areas that actually have dragons. Can't be 100% certain either way without actually looking at the script, but the "attack location" comments in the desctiption seems to support this. Meaning forcing a spawn in an area that wouldn't be getting dragons might not work. Forcing a spawn is never a good way to test anyway. Best way to is actually play an area where a dragon located to see if the NPCs run. The only two I can think of off the top of my head near a village is the Blades quest that you get a little bit after being summoned by the Greybeards (won't go into detail to avoid spoilers) and the one in Falkreath.

Please read my posts - I have done what everyone has asked me to do for proper testing. No one is actually understanding what I am clearly describing.  I'm through with this nonsense, and this mod.  This is ridiculous.  Why is everyone defending this mod like it's perfectly fine, when it clearly has some kind of strange issues?  Even on the mod's Nexus page, many people are describing how it doesn't work for them.Kuldebar - you apparently haven't read any of my posts about the testing I've done.  I've tried to tell you multiple times about things I did to simplify the environment for the test - things you keep saying I'm not doing or possibly doing wrong.  It's very frustrating.  There were no mod conflicts because RfYL was the only mod installed in the last test.

TechAngel85 - again.  This is so frustrating - I don't think people are even reading what I keep writing in detail.  I did not force spawn for the real testing.  I waited until the game spawned an unnamed dragon outside Whiterun on it's own (3 days after reporting back to Balgruf about Mirmulnir).  As a side test, I forced a spawn in Riverwood and NPCs seemed to be reacting to the forced spawn the same as they were reacting to the non-forced spawn - I mentioned this because Kuldebar asked if it was something I tried, so yes, I tried it.

I've got a MONSTER headache from this ************************************************************************.  I'm out.  Maybe I'll be feeling better tomorrow.  Night.

I did some quick and dirty testing. This doesn't seem to be working as expected (at least not 100%). The NPCs are running and only guards are fighting; however, the NPCs are not running into their homes or to the Inns as they should. They're just running away from the dragons aimlessly. I had one attempt to run into the Inn but then turned around and ran another direction before entering.

/ok

RYL isn't ruining my gameplay and NPC's aren't being roasted by dragons in alarming numbers (only guards actually) and I'm level 47 in this play through with over 20+ dragon souls so far, NPC's do indeed go indoors with the caveats as described by Arthmoor.

...I use Belly Aches New Dragon Species as well.

As for reading your posts, Oqhansoloqo -I have and I politely told you that you were shooting in the dark...

In your trouble-shooting efforts of your RYL issue:

You stopped using Mod Organizer...

You uninstalled your ENB

You uninstalled SSME

You uninstalled SKSE

You ditched your SMAA

You went to great lengths to "test" a single non-standard dragon attack...at Pelagia Farms of all places...no Inns there and I'm not entirely certain it would be covered by RYL scripts.

Some of Arthmoor's compatibility notes and useful information:

QuoteQuoteQuote

Not fully compatible with any mod that directly modifies the vanilla dragon encounter system to force-spawn more than one dragon in an attack. NPCs will run as expected, but they will emerge from hiding after the first dragon is dead (or flies away in fear etc), and obviously if there are more around they'll become vulnerable to collateral damage at that point.

Mods which alter the following quests will not be compatible without a patch:

WIChangeLocation09 - Dragon Attack
WE04 - Player vs Dragon
WEJS18 - Corpses in the aftermath of a dragon attack, Dog left behind

Mods which edit the following scripts will not be compatible unless patched:

QF_WIChangeLocation09_00050AF1.psc
QF_WE04_0009C1B8.psc
QF_WEJS18_000E8929.psc

Known Issues
============

Protection against the WE04 and WEJS18 events is not guaranteed! If the player is not within a location that counts as a habitation when these events are called, NPCs will not be protected! There is nothing that can be done to ensure this beyond the steps already taken.

Sometimes it may appear as though NPCs are stuck. It is not known why this occurs, and it's unlikely the protection system has kicked in. This is probably due to an unknown incompatibility with another mod.

An easy way to test the system is to use the console and type: set winextdragon to 0

This tells the dragon spawning system you're ready for one, and it should spawn shortly and move toward the area.

So, no the mod isn't perfect, but if you don't use it (or another mod that has a something similar as an aim) ...then NPC's will die from dragon attacks far more often.

Unlike When Vampires Attack, RYL is functioning as intended in my mod build.

Obviously, with scripts, the interaction with other scripted mods along with Papyrus temperament, left side MO order placement,...your mileage may vary.

Of course, like any mod, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Edited by Kuldebar
  • +1 1

I just tested the mod at Pelagia Farm and it cannot work there the way it does at more appropriate places. It rarely works perfectly, in fact, but it makes a ridiculous situation bearable, at the very least.

When Vampires Attack is indeed far more .. problematic.

Kuldebar - Why are you saying non-standard dragon attack?  And why do you think I'm running a mod that changes dragon attacks?  I said over and over again that my final test had no mods installed besides "Run for Your Lives".  I don't see how there can be ANY conflict of mods when "Run for Your Lives" is THE ONLY mod installed and a brand new game is started just to test the mod.  You obviously have not read my posts.  I'm done here - people are not listening to me and certain things I have said multiple times in different ways.

Like I requested - has anyone here actually started a brand new game using the newest version of the mod, or are people just using a saved game that was started with an older version of the mod?

...snip...

Like I requested - has anyone here actually started a brand new game using the newest version of the mod, or are people just using a saved game that was started with an older version of the mod?

My quick and dirty testing last night was on a new game with STEP:Extended install. (Note that no mods conflict which would overwrite this mod in STEP) I've not read all of the posts because I don't feel like reading a novel at this time. :teehee: Therefore, I'm not sure if your issue is the NPCs are still fighting or if they're just not running to the specified places. In my testing (several locations), the NPCs (besides guards) did not fight. They ran from the dragon; however, they just didn't run into homes or the inn. Only one or two ever ran indoors. Sooo... did the mod work perfectly? No. Did the mod still do it's main function as Kuldebar says? Yes.

Damn, third time I need to write this post after a BSOD festival with the new Catalyst driver; back to 13.12 now.

oqhansoloqo, I tested the mod on a STEP 2.2.9 Extended profile with no other mods added; if I read everyone's experiences correctly, no one considers the mod to work perfectly. But it's an improvement over the vanilla situation.

If you can make a video of a dragon encounter, we could see for ourselves how far your experience deviates from ours.

BTW, it's a shame that I haven't done a video of my last "When Vampires attack" experience. It was rather comical.

Might be worth considering Deadly Dragons with only the make important/quest giving npcs protected from dragon attacks option a reccommendation for STEP inclusion. This would cause non-combatant npcs to flee, and the important ones to survive (whether the retreat indoors or not).

Might be worth considering Deadly Dragons with only the make important/quest giving npcs protected from dragon attacks option a reccommendation for STEP inclusion. This would cause non-combatant npcs to flee, and the important ones to survive (whether the retreat indoors or not).

Not a bad suggestion, but I think editing particular NPC records to flag them protected is a little more invasive with a greater potential for conflict then attaching a script to modify general AI NPC Class behavior. Scripts, in many respects can be like "free agents" leaving the individual record untouched and thus not compromising compatibility in most cases. Consider how script-based mods like EFF, iNeeds (refill water) and Immersive Armors (to a lesser degree) modify NPC's without editing the actual NPC record.

...Consider how script-based mods like EFF, iNeeds (refill water) and Immersive Armors (to a lesser degree) modify NPC's without editing the actual NPC record.

I wish I had the knowledge base to give that due consideration. I'm currently using the STEP reccomemnded RFYL & WVA and Deadly Dragons (for the feature I mention) with DCO (actually the full Epic Gameplay Overhaul). The potential for script sorcery must be astronomical, I assume the Nine will protect me.

redirishlord, on 26 Apr 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

I wish I had the knowledge base to give that due consideration. I'm currently using the STEP reccomemnded RFYL & WVA and Deadly Dragons (for the feature I mention) with DCO (actually the full Epic Gameplay Overhaul). The potential for script sorcery must be astronomical, I assume the Nine will protect me.

I just realized that I have no idea how Deadly Dragons adds its brand of specific NPC protection...it may very well use a method that doesn't alter the NPC record directly?

Edited by Kuldebar

Thommaal - Good idea.  Sure - I'll make a video of a dragon encounter.  How do I go about doing that - got any suggestions for doing it easily (program for capturing the video)?  If I do this, I will run the game through MO and with all mods but RfYL disabled, only because it didn't seem to make any difference to NPC behavior throughout my experiments in trying to get the mod to work for me (between using or not using MO to run the mod) so I'm just going to do it the easiest way.  With the newest version of MO, it is easy to restore mod and plugin list configurations to saved settings.

Thommaal - Good idea.  Sure - I'll make a video of a dragon encounter.  How do I go about doing that - got any suggestions for doing it easily (program for capturing the video)?  If I do this, I will run the game through MO and with all mods but RfYL disabled, only because it didn't seem to make any difference to NPC behavior throughout my experiments in trying to get the mod to work for me (between using or not using MO to run the mod) so I'm just going to do it the easiest way.  With the newest version of MO, it is easy to restore mod and plugin list configurations to saved settings.

FRAPS is good for this, but the free version is limited I think. I do enough shots and captures that I just ended up paying for it. Dxtory is another one that is free I think (correction...it's both free and paid as well). Bandicam is the third one I can think of. It's both paid and free (free has watermark and time limit similar to FRAPS). Those are the major ones used. I've only ever used FRAPS so it's the only one I can say works well.