Skyrim Installation Guide

These comments are in relation to the STEP 2.2.1 WIP guide, but pertain to the SIG info so I'm posting them here, though some of the comments might require a change to the STEP guide rather than the SIG (or both). I know all these guides are works in progress, so take the below suggestions as merely that!

Skyrim Tab:

* References to Skyrim Unplugged should be removed based on the past page of posts, I believe. Maybe replaced with a note that if Steam forces an update, it will be necessary to create a new backup/update/etc. If Unplugged stays, it might be handy to have a link/reference to it earlier in the guide. Currently, it is mentioned a bit out-of-the-blue with no context.

DLC Tab:

* The new STEP 2.2.1 guide asks for benchmarks to be taken at various points, however the first reference to benchmarking is _after_ one has presumably run through the SIG (per step 1.A). However, the SIG suggests different methods of doing a base texture pack install (ie., the official vs. optimized, depending on your video card's vram). I would suggest that the STEP guide insert a 'benchmark' step _prior_ to adding the texture DLC as choice of texture DLC will impact this baseline bench, and then a second benchmark after applying the texture DLC. Maybe something like:

1.A - Install Skyrim per the SIG (Steam/Skyrim tabs only!)

1.A.1 - Benchmark

1.A.2 - Install preferred texture pack per the SIG (DLC tab)

1.A.3 - Benchmark

This of course means also moving the entire 'benchmark' section up in the guide...

* The "HD Textures DLC Fix" mod now recommends https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14719 as well. I would suggest adding this here unless it is completely unnecessary because of all the other STEP graphics updates that come later. It appears this would pertain to all installs, regardless of VRAM settings (the optimized pack includes HD Textures DLC Fix, but not the HD Textures DLC Tweaks, I believe).

* It might be worthwhile to rename the DLC tab to 'Texture DLC', since other DLC (dawnguard, etc) aren't mentioned here.

Just responding to "Skyrim Unplugged"' date=' but I have commented out the other references to it. Part of it was already commented out, but others were missed which is why it was so out of place.[/quote']

Yes, I have been making changes to the SIG piecemeal as I edit the 2.2.1 Guide. There are several references to the SIG that required modification to the SIG. Thanks for commenting the rest. The SIG is among the most sorely in need of work to better syncronize with the Guide. I ahve also edited the Troubleshooting guide to the same effect. The "establish a clean skyrim install" topic is now updated.

• 5 weeks later...

In the "Hacks" section of the guide Skyboost is mentioned. This is obsolete unless someone is running Skyrim 1.4.2 but why on earth would they be?

Removed, thanks for noticing.  That guide definitely needs a makeover.
You're welcome, I just delved into this project and I'm very interested, looks like some awesome work.

These comments are in relation to the STEP 2.2.1 WIP guide, but pertain to the SIG info so I'm posting them here, though some of the comments might require a change to the STEP guide rather than the SIG (or both). I know all these guides are works in progress, so take the below suggestions as merely that!

Skyrim Tab:

* References to Skyrim Unplugged should be removed based on the past page of posts, I believe. Maybe replaced with a note that if Steam forces an update, it will be necessary to create a new backup/update/etc. If Unplugged stays, it might be handy to have a link/reference to it earlier in the guide. Currently, it is mentioned a bit out-of-the-blue with no context.

DLC Tab:

* The new STEP 2.2.1 guide asks for benchmarks to be taken at various points, however the first reference to benchmarking is _after_ one has presumably run through the SIG (per step 1.A). However, the SIG suggests different methods of doing a base texture pack install (ie., the official vs. optimized, depending on your video card's vram). I would suggest that the STEP guide insert a 'benchmark' step _prior_ to adding the texture DLC as choice of texture DLC will impact this baseline bench, and then a second benchmark after applying the texture DLC. Maybe something like:

1.A - Install Skyrim per the SIG (Steam/Skyrim tabs only!)

1.A.1 - Benchmark

1.A.2 - Install preferred texture pack per the SIG (DLC tab)

1.A.3 - Benchmark

This of course means also moving the entire 'benchmark' section up in the guide...

* The "HD Textures DLC Fix" mod now recommends https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=14719 as well. I would suggest adding this here unless it is completely unnecessary because of all the other STEP graphics updates that come later. It appears this would pertain to all installs, regardless of VRAM settings (the optimized pack includes HD Textures DLC Fix, but not the HD Textures DLC Tweaks, I believe).

* It might be worthwhile to rename the DLC tab to 'Texture DLC', since other DLC (dawnguard, etc) aren't mentioned here.

The DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide, which discusses the cleanup/optimization of the HRDLC and other vanilla texture files, does include both the  HD Textures DLC Fix and the HighResTexturePack DLC Tweaks. The other DLC are also discussed in that guide.

In addition to the problem I mention above, I think there is also some confusion between the DLC section of the Skyrim Installation guide and the current STEP mod list. The Skyrim installation guide has the Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized mod applied at the beginning of the Conflicting Graphics section, while the Skyrim Installation guide seems to suggest doing it earlier. I think the approach in the current draft STEP guide is the proper one. It allows for any cleanup and repair of the of the HRDLC to happen prior to using the Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized if it needs to be used for performance improvement. Any DDSopt optimization of the HRDLC could happen after this mod was installed (if it is used), or alternatively the HRDLC and Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized can have their textures optimized separately before installing the Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized mod.

I noticed that the link for the USKP on the Sig was outdated. It pointed to a previous location. I've updated the link so that it now goes to the correct location.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_Installation#USKP

Also, on the "Hacks" under "Injectors" I noticed that the link for Script Dragon sends you to a nexus link. However, when you go there the top portion links to the authors' hosting site. Humorously, this then shows two more links! One to go to the Skyrim mods, the other for other mods. Even better is that these links just send you here to the main page, instead of their respective areas. So I was wondering if it would make sense to shorten the amount of clicks for people who choose to install Script Dragon and just direct them to here?

Ok, I changed the links for what I had posted about Script Dragon. For whatever reason I couldn't get it to link to the actual proper area. It just defaults to here regardless of what follows (unless it's my browser.)

--------

"Download the HD Textures DLC Fix Loose Files Version and install."

Now needs to be removed too.

It probably should be removed for now. According to Hionimi he's looking into to updating his mod as there are still a few things to go over. He's noted it on his mods page. There's also an on going discussion on the Bethsoft Forums detailing quite a bit more info.

Any suggestions on the best action tho for the SIG?

Thanks for the update' date=' this guide needs serious love. It always bugged me that the Script Dragon site did that. Go ahead and change it, I'm on my phone so I can't. Also, could you (or anyone) do mishmash's suggestion as well?[/quote']

I edited the DLC section of the Skyrim Installation guide and made it fairly consistent with the DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide. The reference to the Fix mod was removed from this section; the Fix mod and the Tweaks mod are already discussed in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide. Currently the batch file that cleans the HRDLC does a combination of cleaning the HRDLC and adding additional files to replace some low quality ones in the HRDLC. Users with VRAM<1Gb probably don't want to add these additional files if they are not also using DDSopt optimization to get some performance improvements, but there is currently only one version of the batch file. 

The batch file used for the original 2 file HRDLC won't work now. I edited this batch file, and there is a beta version of one that will work with the newly released HRDLC. It is available in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization thread in the forum.

The DLC section of the Skyrim Installation guide has been updated to include the Unofficial High Resolution Patch and the temporary unavailability of the Bethesda Hi-Res Optimized mod, and it is now consistent with the revised preparation and optimization approaches that will be in the DDSopt and Texture Optimization guide very soon.