Skyrim Installation Guide

As I said in the DDSopt Guide forum' date=' I vote that we simply compartmentalize the big Guides by Tabs rather than separate pages. That way, the most important topics will be among the first tabs, and we can link to these tabs from the SG and elsewhere.[/quote']

The instruction parts of the guide are interwoven with explanations and rationale, which is actually fairly reasonable. It does make it a little harder for someone who just wants the recommendations on what to install. In the STEP mod installation section I avoided giving explicit recommendations since it can depend on the system and because some of the mod authors have fairly strong views on how their mod is used. We could, however, give give more explicit recommendations by sytem categories.

I actually like the name "Guide:Skyrim Reference" or even just "Guide:Reference".  If we started offloading all the non-essential information here I think the rest of the guides would be a lot more trim and understandable for normal users.  Plus when the info's in a guide that's not viewed as much we can not care about presentation as much :P 

Using some logic on the page would be interesting, but there's not much we can do except toggle various chunks of text as hidden/shown, and I don't think Stopping ever got around to implementing that 100% either. 

Regarding the HDDLC stuff on the HDDLC page:  We have a page for every mod in STEP (HDDLC's page) with plenty of room for installation instructions and a direct tie to the STEP Guide.  Since the Optimized DLC is part of STEP I figured we should keep it's installation instructions on that page so you can find it from the STEP Guide more easily.  Then the DLC section of the SIG can just be about optimizing the DLC files before any mods are applied. 

I see what you mean about the HDDLC page; we could also move some details of using Vano's mod to the page for that mod. We would need to mention for these two mods that the user needs to read the mod page for installation details since there is a lot more information than usual on the mod page. I think the info that goes past an individual mod such as the installation combinations using HRDLC & Vano's mod need to be in SIG but perhaps some of the other details can move.

I still think we also need the equivalent of a QuickStart guide for using DDSOpt.

Whoops... I am way too tired.  We don't have a mod for the HDDLC itself, I was referring to the HDDLC Optimized page.  We can add pretty much the entire "Select the option that best suits your VRAM limitations" section of the SIG to the HDDLC Optimized page and rename the DLC tab to HDDLC.  IMO installing and optimizing the HDDLC is part of installing the Base Skyrim, not necessarily STEP (thus why it's not in the mod tables). 

I agree, but I'm not going to touch the DDSopt stuff with a 10 foot pole, you and Z can have fun with that one :P

In my comments I assumed you meant the HDDLC optimized page, which is why I said that we couldn't put all the options on that page since some options don't use it or use it with some DDSopt processing.

I tried to make it somewhat clear in the SIG DLC tab that a user should decide on an option, at least initially, even though the installation is split into two pieces with the HRDLC repair/optimized (if done) before applying STEP mods and installation of HDDLC Optimized & its options after a number of other STEP mods have been installed. I'm not sure if that is sufficiently clear in the SIG DLC tab. 

In my comments I assumed you meant the HDDLC optimized page, which is why I said that we couldn't put all the options on that page since some options don't use it or use it with some DDSopt processing.

I tried to make it somewhat clear in the SIG DLC tab that a user should decide on an option, at least initially, even though the installation is split into two pieces with the HRDLC repair/optimized (if done) before applying STEP mods and installation of HDDLC Optimized & its options after a number of other STEP mods have been installed. I'm not sure if that is sufficiently clear in the SIG DLC tab. 

The only time you wouldn't be installing the HDDLC is if you have <1GB of VRAM, so I think we can leave that bit as a note/warning on the SIG and then have them follow the instructions on the HDDLC Optimized page (which will also say the same thing). 

As you said, they install other mods in between, but the only mod that could interfere is the UHRP, but shouldn't that be installed as a BSA or via WB/MO anyways?

The Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized is one-or-the-other with the HRDLC and thus neither should be a core mod, you make a choice based on VRAM?

The Unofficial High Resolution Patch we are calling a core mod on the DLC page here, but it's not mentioned in STEP 2.2.0a at all?

Most of the options for the Optimized HDDLC require the HDDLC, it's just the "Full 1024" that doesn't use them.  Also, the UHRP is included in v2.2.1, might as well start referencing it since it's here to stay (unless Bethesda fixes every issue o.0)
Okie Doke.

Why are we calling it HDDLC now rather than HRDLC?

I always call it HRDLC, but others want to undermine me >:
I always use HRDLC. I only use HDDLC in response to posts that are using that to avoid some confusion.
I thought we decided on HDDLC at some point in the past because our short name for "HDDLC Optimized" does it.  If you guys prefer the other way then revert me (and I'll move the mod page), I don't care which we use as long as it's consistent.

Why are we calling it HDDLC now rather than HRDLC?

I always call it HRDLC, but others want to undermine me >:
I always use HRDLC. I only use HDDLC in response to posts that are using that to avoid some confusion.
I thought we decided on HDDLC at some point in the past because our short name for "HDDLC Optimized" does it.  If you guys prefer the other way then revert me (and I'll move the mod page), I don't care which we use as long as it's consistent.
I would use HRDLC to actually represent the name. I had always wondered where "HDDLC" came from.

I made a few major edits, first from moving all the HRDLC Optimized text to the HRDLC page and shortening it quite a bit.  I Removed the Steam tab since that entire part was explaining to install it on another drive even though it's not necessary anymore.  I also removed the entire Utilities section as these will be installed with STEP.  I'm leaving a link to the old previous revision so we can migrate any relevant info to the mod pages. 

Finally, I broke the filetype and directory information into a new tab after Mods and placed the "Congrats, you're done with the instructions" footer at the bottom of the HRDLC tab.