Skyrim Installation Guide

I see you removed the "Make a Vanilla Base Mod" Section. Do I still need to do that?

The best ref we have for establishing a vanilla base is the Troubleshooting Guide (which also needs updated but for the first tab).
The SIG is looking more manageable. Has anyone checked on how it looks now in the context of the STEP Guide? Meaning that when linked to from the SG, do the links take to to parts of the SIG that align well with the SG section that linked?

I see you removed the "Make a Vanilla Base Mod" Section. Do I still need to do that?

It's not needed if you use Mod Organizer, but  maybe if you use Wyre Bash excelusivly. 
I really don't think this is necessary since the only Vanilla assets not in a BSA are the English strings and the BIK intro video.  If the user followed our instructions they'd have these backed up in the full Vanilla archive anyways.

The best ref we have for establishing a vanilla base is the Troubleshooting Guide (which also needs updated but for the first tab).
The SIG is looking more manageable. Has anyone checked on how it looks now in the context of the STEP Guide? Meaning that when linked to from the SG, do the links take to to parts of the SIG that align well with the SG section that linked?
I haven't looked at the links, but I'll go through and update those now.  IMO what the general user needs is pretty much done, I'm not going to bother with the last few tabs.

EDIT: Updated all the links, thankfully most point to the guide in general and not a specific part.

Ok thanks. Also I just got done extracting/optimizing the bsas (I did everything to the letter and I did nothing else but install Wrye and NMM) but I haven't replaced anything in the skyrim folder yet, and skyrim ctds right away. When I get back from school I'll replace the bsas with the backups to see what the issue is, but I'm just wondering: does DDSopt/BSAopt modify the original bsas? Becuase I can't fathom what else it could be since I did nothing but extract the bsas to a completely different drive. I actually think it might be BSAOpt rather than ddsopt because it was working after I extracted the HRDLC1-3 and STD.

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems to be the Vanilla Skyrim mod I made for some reason was causing problems, so I did as you recommended and removed it and just used the backup files. It works fine now thanks for all of your help.

I made a few major edits' date=' first from moving all the HRDLC Optimized text to the HRDLC page and shortening it quite a bit.  I Removed the Steam tab since that entire part was explaining to install it on another drive even though it's not necessary anymore.  I also removed the entire Utilities section as these will be installed with STEP.  I'm leaving a link to the old previous revision so we can migrate any relevant info to the mod pages. 

Finally, I broke the filetype and directory information into a new tab after Mods and placed the "Congrats, you're done with the instructions" footer at the bottom of the HRDLC tab.

The options in the HRDLC tab were not just about using Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized. Half them are for users with high end machines that wouldn't use it all. It's reasonable have the specific Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized options on the mod page, and we can certainly simplify the HRDLC options to do this. However, this is the only place where we provide rough guidance on how to proceed depending on system capabilities. The STEP guide has three system categories, but we never tie these to VRAM or similar computer properties; the SIG guide is the only place where we do this. Even if we add such information to the STEP guide, we still need to somewhere tie computer capabilities to how the HRDLC is used.

I suggest we add simplified version of the options, as described above, back to the SIG. Alternatively, if there is another place to put that's fine, but I don't think it should be the DDSopt guide since IMO we wouldn't expect all users to use DDSopt procedures the very first time they are following the STEP process. I can add these if you want.

I made a few major edits' date=' first from moving all the HRDLC Optimized text to the HRDLC page and shortening it quite a bit.  I Removed the Steam tab since that entire part was explaining to install it on another drive even though it's not necessary anymore.  I also removed the entire Utilities section as these will be installed with STEP.  I'm leaving a link to the old previous revision so we can migrate any relevant info to the mod pages. 

Finally, I broke the filetype and directory information into a new tab after Mods and placed the "Congrats, you're done with the instructions" footer at the bottom of the HRDLC tab.

The options in the HRDLC tab were not just about using Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized. Half them are for users with high end machines that wouldn't use it all. It's reasonable have the specific Bethesda_Hi-Res_Optimized options on the mod page, and we can certainly simplify the HRDLC options to do this. However, this is the only place where we provide rough guidance on how to proceed depending on system capabilities. The STEP guide has three system categories, but we never tie these to VRAM or similar computer properties; the SIG guide is the only place where we do this. Even if we add such information to the STEP guide, we still need to somewhere tie computer capabilities to how the HRDLC is used.

I suggest we add simplified version of the options, as described above, back to the SIG. Alternatively, if there is another place to put that's fine, but I don't think it should be the DDSopt guide since IMO we wouldn't expect all users to use DDSopt procedures the very first time they are following the STEP process. I can add these if you want.

That makes sense to me.  Go ahead and add back what you think needs to be added, perhaps I got a little trigger happy :P  We do mention that Baseline is ~1GB of VRAM, it says so in the system specs on the Guide.

I implemented a list-type sidebar called "Listbox"' date=' and it works great for what I have been thinking (look at the second tab), but I have not yet determined how to make links work inside. This somehow breaks the template because of the wiki markup.

Any ideas?

EDIT: :ninja: by Farlo on the wiki!

EDIT2: Still a problem with the links though .... >:[

I noticed before that using links breaks a lot of templates, not just this one. Notices don't work with links, for example.

Since so many of the lines in this particular tab will need links, it might be better to put the links in the body. Of course, I haven't seen what you plan for the listbox since it didn't work correctly.

The simplification you provided is good, as long as there is somewhere in a guide that it is explained in enough detail. The HRDLC stuff is in the DDSopt guide abd BSA extraction is in the BSA guide so they are fine.

That makes sense to me.  Go ahead and add back what you think needs to be added, perhaps I got a little trigger happy :P  We do mention that Baseline is ~1GB of VRAM, it says so in the system specs on the Guide.
The link to the previous version that has the option details doesn't work. The option descriptions aren't there, just the other material.

I implemented a list-type sidebar called "Listbox"' date=' and it works great for what I have been thinking (look at the second tab), but I have not yet determined how to make links work inside. This somehow breaks the template because of the wiki markup.

Any ideas?

EDIT2: Still a problem with the links though .... >:[

It appears as though the template doesn't like the question mark in the URL es evidenced by this edit, although I'm not entirely sure why.  I also find it much easier to deal with Wikilinks by using title as it appears on the Wiki.  That is, use "&" instead of "%26" and " " instead of "_", it seems to behave better for some reason.  There might not be any technical reason to do so, but I always preferred applying any formatting outside of the link notation, i.e. " '''[[A Page|Text]]''' ", seems cleaner IMO and it might prevent adverse reactions with the external links. 

The link to the previous version that has the option details doesn't work. The option descriptions aren't there, just the other material.

You can view any previous revision of a page by going to Page Tools -> History.  (Link to SIG's history page.)  From there you can compare the contents of any two revisions by selecting their radiobuttons or view the page as it was during that revision by clicking on the timestamp for it.  When you're viewing an old revision you can even go to Edit and copy the old source, just make sure not to hit save otherwise you'll undo all of the edits from that point on.  This revision seems to have all of your older edits (before I butchered them :P), so copy whatever you want from there back on to the current page.

I am thinking that the boxes can hold instructions for STEP Guide users and the Guide text can then go into as much detail as necessary. This way the boxes can be numbered and easily reference from elsewhere and be place within the respective guide to complement.

I am thinking that the boxes can hold instructions for STEP Guide users and the Guide text can then go into as much detail as necessary. This way the boxes can be numbered and easily reference from elsewhere and be place within the respective guide to complement.

Sounds like a plan.

I implemented a list-type sidebar called "Listbox"' date=' and it works great for what I have been thinking (look at the second tab)' date=' but I have not yet determined how to make links work inside. This somehow breaks the template because of the wiki markup.

Any ideas?

EDIT2: Still a problem with the links though .... >:[[/quote']

It appears as though the template doesn't like the question mark in the URL es evidenced by this edit, although I'm not entirely sure why.  I also find it much easier to deal with Wikilinks by using title as it appears on the Wiki.  That is, use "&" instead of "%26" and " " instead of "_", it seems to behave better for some reason.  There might not be any technical reason to do so, but I always preferred applying any formatting outside of the link notation, i.e. " '''[[A Page|Text]]''' ", seems cleaner IMO and it might prevent adverse reactions with the external links. 

The link to the previous version that has the option details doesn't work. The option descriptions aren't there' date=' just the other material.[/quote']

You can view any previous revision of a page by going to Page Tools -> History.  (Link to SIG's history page.)  From there you can compare the contents of any two revisions by selecting their radiobuttons or view the page as it was during that revision by clicking on the timestamp for it.  When you're viewing an old revision you can even go to Edit and copy the old source, just make sure not to hit save otherwise you'll undo all of the edits from that point on.  This revision seems to have all of your older edits (before I butchered them :P), so copy whatever you want from there back on to the current page.

I was tired when I sent the question and I had forgotten about just getting them from the history page, which I've done before to fix things I had deleted incorrectly :whistling: . I'll add a shortened version of the options.

Sounds good to me

Looking further at this, it is clear to me that the guides and their articulation with each other is almost hopelessly disjointed. Much work to do here yet, so I will tackle one of these pieces as an example. Perhaps then we can all follow that pattern and get it all properly articulated.