General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

Well, figured it out it was Oblivion Reloaded's EquipmentMode which was causing the repeatable CTDs.

Also, the 4GB Patcher causes random crashes with an 0xC0000005 exception.

With ENBoost I don't think the extra 800MB is worth it.

Now I need to decide on the OSR heap size and more heap size(install in root)

Well, figured it out it was Oblivion Reloaded's EquipmentMode which was causing the repeatable CTDs.

Also, the 4GB Patcher causes random crashes with an 0xC0000005 exception.

With ENBoost I don't think the extra 800MB is worth it.

Now I need to decide on the OSR heap size and more heap size(install in root)

Excellent news. I had a fresh install of Oblivion (with old oblivion.ini folder moved elsewhere) on which I couldn't get it to crash, so this has me wondering what I could do to experience the CTDs, so that I may improve my troubleshooting techniques. Once you had a reliable CTD (reliability is vital here), what were the main techniques that you used to help narrow down the issue? Did they extend much further than ini configuration?

If it's any help, the OR forum has a good post about EquipmentMode causing a crash based on uInterior Cell Buffer, and more useful I think is this post on several EquipmentMode issues and the benefits developers gain from good reports about these issues.

I'm facing a little problem. OR Ambient Occlusion is making my weapons become "transparent". So far, the only way that i found to fix this is to either disable Oblivion Reloaded Ambient Occlusion, or to uninstall Enhanced Camera and reactivate OR Camera Mode, wich fixes the problem, but makes me sick while playing  :sick:

Any fix that doesn't involve disabling Ambient Occlusion or activating the horrible camera mode?

Hishutup about the 4gb patch thing I'm going to do more testing tonight. Just to see if ainget the same results, I'm 100% it will be the same though lol. Just want to make sure.

@pmw57. Thanks so much for all your help man, we finally got the issue under control, damn equipment mode! :)

I'm facing a little problem. OR Ambient Occlusion is making my weapons become "transparent". So far, the only way that i found to fix this is to either disable Oblivion Reloaded Ambient Occlusion, or to uninstall Enhanced Camera and reactivate OR Camera Mode, wich fixes the problem, but makes me sick while playing  :sick:

Any fix that doesn't involve disabling Ambient Occlusion or activating the horrible camera mode?

Gah, every ao so far has that bug, maybe nVidia's would behave differently. Its optional, disable it if you want.

Excellent news. I had a fresh install of Oblivion (with old oblivion.ini folder moved elsewhere) on which I couldn't get it to crash, so this has me wondering what I could do to experience the CTDs, so that I may improve my troubleshooting techniques. Once you had a reliable CTD (reliability is vital here), what were the main techniques that you used to help narrow down the issue? Did they extend much further than ini configuration?

If it's any help, the OR forum has a good post about EquipmentMode causing a crash based on uInterior Cell Buffer, and more useful I think is this post on several EquipmentMode issues and the benefits developers gain from good reports about these issues.

I could report this and I know the issue could be narrowed down more but I am not comfortable reporting something to him. I'm afraid that there will be some misunderstanding which will cause some tension between Alenet and myself.

Gah, every ao so far has that bug, maybe nVidia's would behave differently. Its optional, disable it if you want.

I could report this and I know the issue could be narrowed down more but I am not comfortable reporting something to him. I'm afraid that there will be some misunderstanding which will cause some tension between Alenet and myself.

Is there anything that I can do to experience this crash, so that further exploration of what causes it can occur?

I have the DVD release of Oblivion, and I don't know if you're running this version or the Steam version, nor if either have subtle differences between them.

I'm wanting the opposite of what most people coming to this channel are seeking. What changes can I make so that I experience the CTD when going to Gottshaw Inn?

Is there anything that I can do to experience this crash, so that further exploration of what causes it can occur?

You need to at least have combat mode and equipment mode enabled in OR.

Something that OOO does to the combat is wigging OR out.

If I drop right in a cell with an NPC and he aggros, nothing happens however, if I walk away so that presumably the cell isnt loaded and walk so that he just aggros, the game crashes.

I tired completely reverting all the edits done to that NPC as far as the record is concerned and it made no difference.

My next course of action would be to look into the records that are not altered by OOO that the NPC uses, like RACE, LVLI, and whatnot

I spent several hours toying with OR and there are still several outlying issues that I picked up on.

I can think of 5 potential issues but only 2 I have investigated far enough into to report. 

3 out of the 5 potential issues are with purely OR and know why no one noticed them.

Remember havent investigated them all thoroughly 

1. Precipitations has this odd glowing blue effect that runs along an axis just above the players head, its really odd.
  2. Equipment mode doesnt seem to work with some part of OOO
  3. The water shader rubber bands
  4. The grass regenerates when the scrollwheel is pushed forward quickly with camera mode enabled.
  5. The grass doesn't... I don't know how to explain it, here is a video I havent really tested this at all, I just noticed it.

I wanted OR to be plug n' play but I have put a good amount of time investigating some issues.

I have the DVD release of Oblivion, and I don't know if you're running this version or the Steam version, nor if either have subtle differences between them.

I'm wanting the opposite of what most people coming to this channel are seeking. What changes can I make so that I experience the CTD when going to Gottshaw Inn?

I doubt that has anything to do with it. I have a disc copy laying around somewhere. I wish the game would just release on GOG so I can use MO and not have to bother with DRM.

Im able to slowly get the occasional CTDs sorted, it just takes time to find a way to accurately reproduce a CTD in a consistent manner. 

While checking out the revamping of the guide, I've just noticed an interesting detail in the Oblivion Reloaded section.

• Installation:

Oblivion Reloaded

Unpack to a project and keep the original archive Delete all the files in the newly created project except for the ini files

Does this really mean to delete all the other files? Including the shader files and OblivionReloaded.dll and OblivionReloaded.esp ?

Edited by pmw57

My thought is leave the mod packed as an archive and just have the ini files separated out so that one can update without having to reconfigure.

Could that work better by unpacking to a second installer, where that second installer has everything deleted except for the ini files? That would allow you to install OR, and to then use the OR ini installer to update and anneal any changes.

Is that more along the lines of what you are intending?

Could that work better by unpacking to a second installer, where that second installer has everything deleted except for the ini files? That would allow you to install OR, and to then use the OR ini installer to update and anneal any changes.

Is that more along the lines of what you are intending?

If you think something is easier, change it. Make any changes that you think are worth it.

If I strongly disagree, I'll edit it :P

EDIT: be sure to place the dll in the obse\plugins\ folder.

I don't know why authors cannot pack mods correctly.

Gah! No wonder I wasn't able to experience the CTD. The OblivionReloaded.dll file wasn't being installed, and I eventually found that it was due to a user error. Yes, mine.

When installing OR I accidentally chose No to a question about installing the OBSE dll file, after which it seemed impossible to get Wrye Bash to recognise it again. Finally I stumbled on how to reverse this mistake.

- In the Wrye Bash settings menu (found at the bottom of the screen) export the list of allowed/disallowed OBSE plugin DLL's

- Edit the list, removing the disallowed plugins that you don't want to be removed

- From the settings menu, import in the updated list, and (important this) choose to not merge with the existing list, so that the existing list gets replaced.

- Delete the Oblivion Reloaded installer

- From the packaged Oblivion Reloaded installer, unpack to a project

- Check in the General tab that the .dll file is now there

- Install the project, and be damned careful to NOT HIT THE NO BUTTON, and instead press the YES button

Finally, regain sanity after cursing yourself and all of your misdeeds.

I had a fresh install of Oblivion (with old oblivion.ini folder moved elsewhere) on which I couldn't get it to crash, so this has me wondering what I could do to experience the CTDs

Make sure that the dll has actually been installed, boy genius!