General Oblivion Support

hishutup

Question

definitely not hardware, I know this for a fact because I replaced everything in my comp just last Wednesday lol

Even though I have two perfectly working  videos cards, a 1080 and 980ti I bought two titan x pascals so I can sli, not for oblivon of course but for other games in 4k.

That's good to confirm - time to investigate qtp3 and better cities, to see if I can experience this issue with the both of them installed together.

Which instructions are you following for their install? The Mythic Dawn install instructions or some other ones?

That's good to confirm - time to investigate qtp3 and better cities, to see if I can experience this issue with the both of them installed together.

Which instructions are you following for their install? The Mythic Dawn install instructions or some other ones?

Pretty much the ones from mythic dawns old guide, by the time you finish advanced mods or finishing installing better cities that little tear will be there

So after more research and experimenting, I found out those goofy black textures are caused from ENB boost.  ENB boos eventually get's full of memory and attempts to block out random textures so the ram usage doesn't fill up.  Also pretty much every time I encounter those odd black textures that means I'm going to CTD very soon.  This could be fixed easily by uping VideoMemorySizeMb in ENB local ini, however because I am on windows 10, for so odd reason microsoft capped all there dx9 games at 4064mb.  In other words it might be a good idea for me to install windows 7.

Pretty much the ones from mythic dawns old guide, by the time you finish advanced mods or finishing installing better cities that little tear will be there

For the purposes of troubleshooting, I am looking for the minimum mods required to experience the problem.

I'll see if the problem can be experienced on my end after installing both qtp3 and better cities using old guide instructions.

After writing lots of troubleshooting information on the installation of Quarls texture pack, I made the mistake of dragging an image into the editor, and lost the essay that I had written on the process of installing both Quarls texture pack and better cities.

With Quarls texture pack, delete the meshes\dungeons\fortruins\ folder, then install.

The well looks to be between Gogan's and Quill-Weave's house, and there are no texture troubles currently with it. I suggest that you don't save there though, for when Better Cities loads in there's no telling if bad stuff will occur. Instead, go across the street to the house of Pinarus Inventius and save while in there. Saving inside of a building is a good safety tip for when things outside are being changed.

My expectation is that installing Better Cities results in tears in the landscape around the well. Time to install Better Cities.

This text editor has autosave? How do I get back what was lost before? Dammit, it only shows what I have rewritten here above.

Time to uninstall Better Cities from my test and redo, giving the short version of the instructions here.

- Run the primary resources wizard with the options given in the install guide (Blood and Mud, No, Yes, Male and Female, No). Tick both apply and install, then finish the wizard.

- Run the better cities wizard with the options given in the install guide (No, Everything, Yes, Yes, No, Yes, No), no replacer plugins, apply and untick install, then finish the wizard.

Normally here you would then tick the 10 Storms and Sounds, 30 All Natural, and 30 Immersive Interiors subpackages, but I do not have those currently installed as I am testing only Qarls and Better Cities for the purpose of troubleshooting tears in the landscape.

After all of that configuration:

- install the Better Cities mod.

- In the mods tab activate everything.

- Close Wrye Bash and then run BOSS to reorder the mods.

I close Wrye Bash before running BOSS, due to the following comment in Hishutup's install guide:

I would also recommend restarting Wrye Bash often

This is be because Wrye Bash saves the Installers placement, markers and what you had installed/uninstalled when the application is properly closed. This means to restart it before rebuilding the Bashed Patch and/or restarting after adding, installing, removing, and changing mods. 

After BOSS, run up Wrye Bash again and activate the Bashed Patch. Right-click on the Bashed Patch and rebuild. I use the beta rebuild as recommended in the install guide, agree to the mods it wants to deactivate, and then build the patch.

I have 0A (10 decimal) mods installed. Alternative Beginnings is at 05, with Better Cities mods taking up 01, 03, and 06 through to 09. Two of them have the plus symbol instead of a tick which means they are rolled in to the patch, and the Bashed Patch is number 0A at the end of the list.

Time for the moment of truth, to launch Oblivion and see what I find from that save game file from before. Load up the save game from earlier, leave Pinarus Inventius' house, and head forward straight to the well.

I see no tears in the landscape there. Everything is looking good. Here's a screenshot with me standing beside the fruit and vege stand. Mmm, look at them tasty apples.

41x6S9I.png

Let's get closer to the well so that I have the same view as with the torn landscape that's shown at https://imgur.com/RZ2ytDS

You can see my perspective of the same shot at https://imgur.com/TwKbYlR

Is there anything in my description of the install process above, that looks strange or new to you? Because I really want to experience the same tears in the landscape that you are, so that I can work at figuring out how they occurred and improve things for you.

Edit: And just in case the time of day was causing a problem, I've also checked how it looks at each hour of the day too.

Edited by pmw57

hmmm, I do remember at one point in time when just running quarls and better cities it wasn't there but how ever when I install all mods from the beginning all the way up to better cities then the two appears.  But when I trim my load order down and remove quarls texture pack it gets rid of it.  I just installed windows 7 and updates are being installed but I will check again to see if I have the same issue soon as my updates install.  I have no idea why it's taking forever for updates to install also, it was a pain in the ass to get the updates to even work on windows 7!!

hmmm, I do remember at one point in time when just running quarls and better cities it wasn't there but how ever when I install all mods from the beginning all the way up to better cities then the two appears.  But when I trim my load order down and remove quarls texture pack it gets rid of it.  I just installed windows 7 and updates are being installed but I will check again to see if I have the same issue soon as my updates install.  I have no idea why it's taking forever for updates to install also, it was a pain in the ass to get the updates to even work on windows 7!!

Okay. Just so I'm understanding you properly, you did not see the torn landscape with only Quarls and Better Cities installed. Only when removing mods later on. That's nice to confirm, thanks.

But when I trim my load order down and remove quarls texture pack it gets rid of it.

I've found that when disabling mods from the load order, that there can be artifacts due to there being asset files for them that are still installed.

Instead of disabling mods, the more reliable way is to uninstall the mod using its installer.

On a personal gripe matter, I do find the Wrye Bash installer area to be most distracting. Everything ends up with yellows and oranges, and I tend to lose track of why they are that way, and whether everything is still in good working order.

I've found that when disabling mods from the load order, that there can be artifacts due to there being asset files for them that are still installed.

Instead of disabling mods, the more reliable way is to uninstall the mod using its installer.

On a personal gripe matter, I do find the Wrye Bash installer area to be most distracting. Everything ends up with yellows and oranges, and I tend to lose track of why they are that way, and whether everything is still in good working order.

oh haha, I usually check for things by uninstalling from the installers tab.

So for example

1. I see the random tear in anvil

2. Last mod I installed was better cities

3. I uninstall each package to figure out what is causing it

4. uninstall better cities tear is no longer there

5. reinstall better cities and it is there

6. uninstall ever mod before better cities

7. when uninstalling quarls texture pack it is gone

8. when re installing quarls texture pack it is present again

I wonder if it's possible because I am putting the mods from my flash drive(so I don't have to dl all the mods again, as you can tell I reformatted about 10 times this week) if it some how makes the files corrupt.

I wonder if it's possible because I am putting the mods from my flash drive(so I don't have to dl all the mods again, as you can tell I reformatted about 10 times this week) if it some how makes the files corrupt.

They do have a checksum which can be checked.

In the Mods tab right-click on the File heading, and while the C key is pressed down select List Mods. The list will show with a checksum for each.

00  oblivion.esm  [CRC: 2FF840C5]
01  Better Cities Resources.esm  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: 4D686B3C]
02  DLCShiveringIsles.esp  [CRC: 2BB84977]
03  Better Cities .esp  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: A2C3388F]
04  Knights.esp  [CRC: 6C88EDB3]
05  Alternative Beginnings.esp  [Version 1.4.3]  [CRC: D036604C]
06  Better Cities Full.esp  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: 50DD5A16]
07  Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp  [Version 6.0.2]  [CRC: 27F4FBB8]
08  Better Imperial City.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: AD3A89EC]
09  Better Cities Chorrol - Knights of the Nine.esp  [Version 6.0.4]  [CRC: 91EF7697]
0A  Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: 1A1CAF38]
0B  Better Cities - Leyawiin Flooded.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: E2C8B07E]
0C  Bashed Patch, 0.esp  [CRC: FCFF1430]

They do have a checksum which can be checked.

In the Mods tab right-click on the File heading, and while the C key is pressed down select List Mods. The list will show with a checksum for each.

00  oblivion.esm  [CRC: 2FF840C5]
01  Better Cities Resources.esm  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: 4D686B3C]
02  DLCShiveringIsles.esp  [CRC: 2BB84977]
03  Better Cities .esp  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: A2C3388F]
04  Knights.esp  [CRC: 6C88EDB3]
05  Alternative Beginnings.esp  [Version 1.4.3]  [CRC: D036604C]
06  Better Cities Full.esp  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: 50DD5A16]
07  Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp  [Version 6.0.2]  [CRC: 27F4FBB8]
08  Better Imperial City.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: AD3A89EC]
09  Better Cities Chorrol - Knights of the Nine.esp  [Version 6.0.4]  [CRC: 91EF7697]
0A  Better Imperial City FPS Patch.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: 1A1CAF38]
0B  Better Cities - Leyawiin Flooded.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: E2C8B07E]
0C  Bashed Patch, 0.esp  [CRC: FCFF1430]

hmmm tried to do what you told me and it did this, is this what you are talking about? also I just loaded bettercities and quarls up again and quite a few more mods(finished conflicting textures) and have the same tear.

there is what I got when you toldme to do the checksum thing, dont think I did it right though

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm
01  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.40]
02  Better Cities Resources.esm  [Version 6.0.7]
03  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.5.4a]
++  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
04  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
05  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.8]
06  Better Cities .esp  [Version 6.0.5]
++  LoadingScreens.esp
07  LoadingScreensAddOn.esp
**  LoadingScreensSI.esp
++  PalePassIce.esp
08  OblivionReloaded.esp
++  OblivionReloadedArenaCombat.esp
09  Dynamic Map.esp  [Version 2.1.1]
0A  Map Marker Overhaul.esp  [Version 3.9.3]
0B  Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp  [Version 3.9.3]
0C  DLCHorseArmor.esp
0D  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.8]
0E  DLCOrrery.esp
0F  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]
10  DLCVileLair.esp
11  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.11]
12  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
13  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.7]
14  DLCSpellTomes.esp
++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]
15  DLCThievesDen.esp
16  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.14]
17  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp  [Version 1.0.13]
18  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.40]
19  VaultsofCyrodiil.esp  [Version 6.0.0]
1A  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
1B  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.12]
1C  DLCFrostcrag.esp
1D  Frostcrag_LOD.esp
1E  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.10]
1F  Knights.esp
20  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.8]
++  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul - Knights of Nine.esp
21  HUD Status Bars.esp  [Version 5.3.2]
22  Skill Perk Descriptions.esp  [Version 1.1]
23  Alternative Beginnings.esp  [Version 1.4.3]
24  Summon Dremora Lord Saved.esp
25  RefScope.esp  [Version 2.1.2]
26  Better Cities Full.esp  [Version 6.0.7a]
27  Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp  [Version 6.0.2]
28  Better Imperial City.esp  [Version 6.0.7]
29  Better Cities Chorrol - Knights of the Nine.esp  [Version 6.0.7]
++  Better Cities Full - OOO.esp  [Version 6.0.6]
++  Better Imperial City - OOO.esp  [Version 6.0.6]
++  Better Cities - Leyawiin Flooded.esp  [Version 6.0.0]
++  Oblivion DLC Delayers.esp  [Version 1.0]
2A  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
2B  Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.esp  [Version 4.8.1]

Something goofy is going on here.

1.removed quarls texture pack, tear still there (WTF)

2.decide to remove qtp3 compatability patch now gone

after more testing

Quarls texture pack and qtp3 compatibility patch cause this for me, when I remove those two it's gone or better cities.

could of sworn it was quarls texture pack and not qtp3 compatibility patch

ahhh gotch ya re did it, what do these numbers mean?

00  Oblivion.esm  [CRC: 2FF840C5]
01  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.40]  [CRC: AE2E65E5]
02  Better Cities Resources.esm  [Version 6.0.7]  [CRC: FFD959A0]
03  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.5.4a]  [CRC: BB4E73CD]
++  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp  [CRC: E1CC0647]
04  DLCShiveringIsles.esp  [CRC: 2BB84977]
05  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.8]  [CRC: A5195E02]
06  Better Cities .esp  [Version 6.0.5]  [CRC: A2C3388F]
++  LoadingScreens.esp  [CRC: BC55DB17]
07  LoadingScreensAddOn.esp  [CRC: AF2B8B17]
**  LoadingScreensSI.esp  [CRC: 85BE3659]
++  PalePassIce.esp  [CRC: 2EF06717]
08  OblivionReloaded.esp  [CRC: D0A1AE9A]
++  OblivionReloadedArenaCombat.esp  [CRC: D7CC94D1]
09  Dynamic Map.esp  [Version 2.1.1]  [CRC: D538B7E2]
0A  Map Marker Overhaul.esp  [Version 3.9.3]  [CRC: 44D1CE9E]
0B  Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp  [Version 3.9.3]  [CRC: 2D708924]
0C  DLCHorseArmor.esp  [CRC: BD0084C5]
0D  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.8]  [CRC: 830343C5]
0E  DLCOrrery.esp  [CRC: 351A3894]
0F  DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6]  [CRC: 9E2EC37E]
10  DLCVileLair.esp  [CRC: 1D2570A8]
11  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.11]  [CRC: A2C19AEE]
12  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp  [CRC: 98F295F5]
13  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.7]  [CRC: 43B9797A]
14  DLCSpellTomes.esp  [CRC: 02FA9682]
++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1]  [CRC: 3AE29795]
15  DLCThievesDen.esp  [CRC: 7F76D2D3]
16  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.14]  [CRC: D8DE2075]
17  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp  [Version 1.0.13]  [CRC: 13431956]
18  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.40]  [CRC: 60C3C5C8]
19  VaultsofCyrodiil.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: 80BBF2BB]
1A  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp  [CRC: E449E3FA]
1B  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.12]  [CRC: CD3DF473]
1C  DLCFrostcrag.esp  [CRC: 5AEE2921]
1D  Frostcrag_LOD.esp  [CRC: 6AF4A916]
1E  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.10]  [CRC: 7835C46D]
1F  Knights.esp  [CRC: 6C88EDB3]
20  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.8]  [CRC: E9A02068]
++  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul - Knights of Nine.esp  [CRC: D4EC88C2]
21  HUD Status Bars.esp  [Version 5.3.2]  [CRC: 75F33465]
22  Skill Perk Descriptions.esp  [Version 1.1]  [CRC: A55EE68D]
23  Alternative Beginnings.esp  [Version 1.4.3]  [CRC: D036604C]
24  Summon Dremora Lord Saved.esp  [CRC: 8FE272B1]
25  RefScope.esp  [Version 2.1.2]  [CRC: 09E4EE27]
26  Better Cities Full.esp  [Version 6.0.7a]  [CRC: A33208C2]
27  Better Cities - IC Imperial Isle.esp  [Version 6.0.2]  [CRC: 27F4FBB8]
28  Better Imperial City.esp  [Version 6.0.7]  [CRC: 13C7D972]
29  Better Cities Chorrol - Knights of the Nine.esp  [Version 6.0.7]  [CRC: 47FF0DF2]
++  Better Cities Full - OOO.esp  [Version 6.0.6]  [CRC: 9D41D28C]
++  Better Imperial City - OOO.esp  [Version 6.0.6]  [CRC: 98EEDFEB]
++  Better Cities - Leyawiin Flooded.esp  [Version 6.0.0]  [CRC: E2C8B07E]
++  Oblivion DLC Delayers.esp  [Version 1.0]  [CRC: 18A17A91]
2A  Bashed Patch, 0.esp  [CRC: F1B35DAD]
2B  Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul.esp  [Version 4.8.1]  [CRC: A849AB71]

Edited by Scythiss

Something goofy is going on here.

1.removed quarls texture pack, tear still there (WTF)

2.decide to remove qtp3 comparability patch now gone

could of sworn it was quarls texture pack and not qtp3 compatibility patch

That's excellent news. That compatibility patch is for compatibility with the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. The qtp3 compatibility patch requires the unofficial Oblivion patch to already be installed. Without that requirement the compatibility one will of course result in weird issues.

ahhh gotch ya re did it, what do these numbers mean?

When even one single byte in the file changes, the checksum will change to a completely different value. This allows you to compare the contents of your file with someone else, for example the oblivion.esm file.

That's excellent news. That compatibility patch is for compatibility with the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. The qtp3 compatibility patch requires the unofficial Oblivion patch to already be installed. Without that requirement the compatibility one will of course result in weird issues.

When even one single byte in the file changes, the checksum will change to a completely different value. This allows you to compare the contents of your file with someone else, for example the oblivion.esm file.

hmm odd, I def do have Official oblivion patch installed

I'm going to redownload quarls, qtp compatibility, uop , and better cities to see if it gets fixed