General Feedback

Current test is up to 75 mods, with 70 active.  No issues in regards to exclamation marks, but am having some texture issues.  Comparing a similar scene from the other problematic mod setup to the current one shows rather grainy grasses on the current ones and proper looking grasses on the problem one.  Also the road textures are different. The ones in the test setup do look like the NMC ones, not sure which texture mod changed them in the problem full STEP setup so not necessarily an issue.  Not sure what's up with this grass difference though.  Also another strange thing is that in the problem MO setup I needed to have bUseThreadedAI set to 1 but I had to leave it at 0 in the test install.  The test MO install is a copy of the problem one, with all the mods removed and then I've been reinstalling one by one.

From problem MO setup

post-10217-0-82576400-1475633794_thumb.jpg

From test MO setup

post-10217-0-81397200-1475632846_thumb.jpg

Edited by lordhaw

Fixed the grass issue so can ignore.  There were some setting differences in the display section of the falloutprefs.ini between the older install and the test install.  Made them match and grass now looks right.  Changed fLightLODStartFade=3500.0000, iMultiSample=0 and added iPresentInterval=1.  One of these fixed the issue with the grass.  Onward in trying to break the test setup  ::):

So, I've been poking around with the page and found the file lists to be very inconsistent with one and another. I started to standardize one of them and stopped when I realized that the back slashes turn into pipes because the template italicizes them.
The italicization could also be canceled out by closing them on both sides with 

_''

and

''_

but that is a really poor solution.
The template could be copy/pasted somewhere else and the italicization could be removed from the template, but since its used elsewhere I am not going to touch it. 
I've also been wanting an easy way to copy/paste batch formatted file lists so I did this. Its kind of messed up from what I wanted it to be because the wiki is limited with this sort of stuff.

What do you think? 

If you have a good GPU with 3-4 Gb VRAM you don't need to use any size reduction. The value of using DDSopt is when there is a need for size reduction or when DDSopt can provid some improvements in texture quality.

OOOhhhh, thank you I thought when the guide said "Optimizing" the Textures I'd assumed that it meant it was somehow messing with them to get them to run smoother on my computer. Well thanks for clearing that up, and now I need some more help lol.

I just finished up the guide and everything is running well, I'm still getting the pink missing textures on some of my male raiders though but by now I'm just like "**** i'll live with it" My real problem now is that everytime I fire my gun, once every couple bullets the game will stutter real badly. I don't know what it is, it also stutters every once in a while when I'm just moving around but it's during firing my gun that it's the worst. I don't understand why though because it's running at around 90-120 steady fps, and it will just suddenly stutter/freeze up and then resume real quick.

It makes them run more smoothly by reducing the graphics memory needed for the textures and, for some textures, it reduces the processing needed for handling the textures. In Skyrim optimizing the vanilla textures has a noticeable effect on reducing peak demands on the CPU and GPU. This should also be somewhat true in Fallout 3, but wihen using a modern CPU/GPU with an old game there is less demand to begin with so the impact is less. Also, the vanilla textures aren't typically as complex as those in Skyrim (e.g., Skyrim has many DXT5 textures and some uncompressed textures) so there is less CPU/GPU impact and less advantage to optimizing the textures; of course, this also means the graphics aren't quite as good. Mods like the NMC texture replacements provide significant graphics improvement, but in most cases are already sufficiently optimized.

Game stutter is likely to be caused by the limitations of the game engine itself, especially when using VATS. I don't know whether this effect can be reduced by changing some of the parameters in fallout.ini or falloutprefs.ini; it's unlikely since there haven't been any comments on this that I have seen. There is almost always some stutter when moving to a new game cell since the game engine needs to load the resources for the new cell.

So, I've been poking around with the page and found the file lists to be very inconsistent with one and another. I started to standardize one of them and stopped when I realized that the back slashes turn into pipes because the template italicizes them.

The italicization could also be canceled out by closing them on both sides with 

_''

and

''_

but that is a really poor solution.

The template could be copy/pasted somewhere else and the italicization could be removed from the template, but since its used elsewhere I am not going to touch it. 

I've also been wanting an easy way to copy/paste batch formatted file lists so I did this. Its kind of messed up from what I wanted it to be because the wiki is limited with this sort of stuff.

What do you think? 

Both the improvements in consistency and the use of batch files for the longer changes seem very useful. Do you want to try changing a few of these in the guide and see how well they work?

Arrgghh!  Just finished the latest chunk of my test setup and I'm now getting no menus on the main screen and so can't start the game.  Tonight's chunk involved section 18.9 through 19.3 in the guide and functioned perfectly fine prior to this.  The core mods in these sections were already installed and it was working fine prior to this.  Guessing a mod did this.  Here's my list.

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
StreetLights.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
CALIBR.esm
aHUD.esm
iHUD.esm
Advanced Recon Tech.esm
Inventory Access.esm
ArefuExpandedByAzar.esm
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Mothership Crew.esm
AWorldOfPainFO3.esm
Vault 101 Revisited.esm
CRAFT.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
Project Beauty.esm
Detect Traps.esm
GeorgetownExpansion.esm
RH_IRONSIGHTS.esm
xCALIBR.esm
tubrrCompound.esm
Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm
Xepha's Dynamic Weather.esm
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
Flashlight-LOS.esp
DynamicCrosshair.esp
JIP Selective-Fire.esp
YearlingBooks.esp
Flora Overhaul.esp
GNR Enhanced.esp
MetroCars.esp
FortIndependenceRedesigned.esp
Realistic Interior Lighting.esp
ArlingtonRestoration.esp
tubRRCompound.esp
Rivet City Realignment.esp
Temple of the Union Overhaul.esp
HeirApparent.esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
RH_WMK_Bridge.esp
WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp
DIFF.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
UUF3P - FWE Patch.esp
RH_FWE_Bridge.esp
Laurens_Bathroom_poetry_V1.esp
CALIBRv14 Ammunition Schematics for FWE-WMK-CRAFT-V1_3-18639.esp
Advanced Recon Gear.esp
Detect Traps - The Traponator 4000.esp
Advanced Recon Tech FWE.esp
Advanced Recon Tech.esp
Advanced Recon Range Finder.esp
Stimpak Counter.esp
Powered Power Armor.esp
PPA - Broken Steel.esp
PPA - FWE.esp
PPA - Mothership Zeta.esp
PPA - Operation Anchorage.esp
PPA - The Pitt.esp
JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating.esp
Overhead3PCamera.esp
Confessor Cromwell has a Break_EV.esp
PLweightadjust.esp
NotSoFast.esp
BaileysCrossingMetro.esp
MoreMapMarkers.esp
BauPetSupplies.esp
Museum.esp
PotomacSteamworks.esp
Kentbury Way.esp
Dree Perks.esp
CanterburyCommonsInteriors.esp
RiversideCafe.esp
AutoGates.esp
IntoTheDeepWoods.esp
Scout Outfits.esp
IntoTheDeepWoods-Forested Overhaul Patch.esp
Existence 2.0.esp
ArefuExpandedByAzar-Radio.esp
Conelrad 640-1240.esp
ArefuExpandedByAzar-FixOptFireBarrels.esp
RockopolisRebuilt.esp
FWEAlienWorkBenchFix.esp
PAL - MERGED.esp
MTCBigTownRobotFix.esp
Fo3HirezdFlamer.esp
Fo3HirezdMinigun.esp
RubblePilesFix.esp
megalight.esp
Enhanced Weather - Weather Sounds in Interiors.esp
Better RC Church.esp
DIM TYPE3clothesRETAIL.esp
PLFewerItems.esp
UrgeWashingtonBoS.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Any ideas?  I could disable each one by one from these to see but thought I'd ask first.

Anybody know a way to get rid of the blur when you zoom in? I'm pretty sure RH Ironsights is whats doing it.

To disable the blur when zooming, enter the Pipboy and go to "Aid", select [Gun Oil], then select "Turn off Iron Sights blur".

Arrgghh!  Just finished the latest chunk of my test setup and I'm now getting no menus on the main screen and so can't start the game.  Tonight's chunk involved section 18.9 through 19.3 in the guide and functioned perfectly fine prior to this.  The core mods in these sections were already installed and it was working fine prior to this.  Guessing a mod did this.  Here's my list.

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
StreetLights.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm
CALIBR.esm
aHUD.esm
iHUD.esm
Advanced Recon Tech.esm
Inventory Access.esm
ArefuExpandedByAzar.esm
DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm
Mothership Crew.esm
AWorldOfPainFO3.esm
Vault 101 Revisited.esm
CRAFT.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
Project Beauty.esm
Detect Traps.esm
GeorgetownExpansion.esm
RH_IRONSIGHTS.esm
xCALIBR.esm
tubrrCompound.esm
Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm
Xepha's Dynamic Weather.esm
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
Flashlight-LOS.esp
DynamicCrosshair.esp
JIP Selective-Fire.esp
YearlingBooks.esp
Flora Overhaul.esp
GNR Enhanced.esp
MetroCars.esp
FortIndependenceRedesigned.esp
Realistic Interior Lighting.esp
ArlingtonRestoration.esp
tubRRCompound.esp
Rivet City Realignment.esp
Temple of the Union Overhaul.esp
HeirApparent.esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp
WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp
WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp
WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp
WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp
RH_WMK_Bridge.esp
WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp
DIFF.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
UUF3P - FWE Patch.esp
RH_FWE_Bridge.esp
Laurens_Bathroom_poetry_V1.esp
CALIBRv14 Ammunition Schematics for FWE-WMK-CRAFT-V1_3-18639.esp
Advanced Recon Gear.esp
Detect Traps - The Traponator 4000.esp
Advanced Recon Tech FWE.esp
Advanced Recon Tech.esp
Advanced Recon Range Finder.esp
Stimpak Counter.esp
Powered Power Armor.esp
PPA - Broken Steel.esp
PPA - FWE.esp
PPA - Mothership Zeta.esp
PPA - Operation Anchorage.esp
PPA - The Pitt.esp
JIP Realistic Weapon Overheating.esp
Overhead3PCamera.esp
Confessor Cromwell has a Break_EV.esp
PLweightadjust.esp
NotSoFast.esp
BaileysCrossingMetro.esp
MoreMapMarkers.esp
BauPetSupplies.esp
Museum.esp
PotomacSteamworks.esp
Kentbury Way.esp
Dree Perks.esp
CanterburyCommonsInteriors.esp
RiversideCafe.esp
AutoGates.esp
IntoTheDeepWoods.esp
Scout Outfits.esp
IntoTheDeepWoods-Forested Overhaul Patch.esp
Existence 2.0.esp
ArefuExpandedByAzar-Radio.esp
Conelrad 640-1240.esp
ArefuExpandedByAzar-FixOptFireBarrels.esp
RockopolisRebuilt.esp
FWEAlienWorkBenchFix.esp
PAL - MERGED.esp
MTCBigTownRobotFix.esp
Fo3HirezdFlamer.esp
Fo3HirezdMinigun.esp
RubblePilesFix.esp
megalight.esp
Enhanced Weather - Weather Sounds in Interiors.esp
Better RC Church.esp
DIM TYPE3clothesRETAIL.esp
PLFewerItems.esp
UrgeWashingtonBoS.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

Any ideas?  I could disable each one by one from these to see but thought I'd ask first.

I backed off every single mod I added in this go, redoing the bashed patch along the way and now I'm back to the last working config...and it still has nothing on the main menu screen.  No cursor and no menu at all, just the default Fallout 3 power armour image at the start.  I don't know where to go with this now.  Seems like I'm wasting my time.  But I've had this working on STEP and Windows 10 perfectly fine with MO before so I have no idea why I'm having so many issues since redoing my PC.

That sound like an issue with missing fonts.

I bet if you disable NVAC the game will crash before the menu. I'd recommend disabling NVAC until you are ready to play because it obviate some issues. I manually added the Font tweaks and it seems to be more consistent.

I was getting really odd issues with Darnified UI with the linked version so I switched to the FOMOD version of the download and it seems fine, it doesn't make sense but I was getting all kinds of issues.