Texture Pack Combiner

Kelmych

The unfortunate and wonderful part about Soul Gems Differ is the fact there are so many options... and of course everyone has their own way of doing it.

In that light, I'm not sure it's quite TPC material due to this but that is Cestral's call.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The unfortunate and wonderful part about Soul Gems Differ is the fact there are so many options... and of course everyone has their own way of doing it.

In that light, I'm not sure it's quite TPC material due to this but that is Cestral's call.

I don't know Cestrals overall goal with TPC but if it's to enhance ALL textures then sure SGD should be included and then users can choose if they want to go with the TPC setup for SGD or do their own since it will be optional.

Personally I prefer a setup similar to Neovalen, one/two colors for all gems, a clearer/crystal type texture for empty and then some texture (in the same color theme) that makes it look filled when it's filled.

I havn't tested them all ingame but looking at the screenshots these are what I think are good matches.

( Empty -> Filled )

Blue - Crystal -> Sky

Blue - Marble -> Aura

Colorful - Space2 -> Stars

Purple - Sparkle -> All purple

Red - Cool -> Hell (or Rose-Dark)

I certainly agree with your choice for black soul gems and the idea of a relatively clear texture for empty and a more opaque one for filled. For me, I'd like to have every soul gem size be a different color to make it more interesting and easier to tell the size by color. The picture you reference certainly doesn't do this. I don't have strong preferences on which color goes with which size, just that they be different.

Eh... I was going over some ingot textures and found a rather interesting bug: Apparently, the silver ingots use the ingotiron01 texture while iron ingots use the ingotsilver01 texture. Luckily, this is easily fixed by switching places with the textures, which mod authors of these textures have already noticed as well.

I love the idea that you are adding Soul Gems Differ to the TPC!  I set that mod up once and decided it wasnt worth it on later installs.  However, Im sure Ill be pleased enough with Cestral's choices and the fact that its just one less mod I have to deal with. 

For Soul Gems to differ I think that any retex is better than vanilla, so you can't really do anything wrong. Just choose and make a quick statement why you've chosen that way and people will accept it. If they don't like your choices, they can just install Soul Gems To Differ on top of TPC and make any changes they'ld like to have.

Me personally, I like the idea that soulgems are a form of "evil magic". I would go for a clean crystal look on the empty ones, but they have to look cold and mysterious at the same time (if i was on my game rig, I could provide you the details). If they are filled with the life essence of a being (human or non-human) it should look as if there was something in there. I could argue for and against a "bloody" look, but nevertheless there should be either something floating in the soul gem (it should look that way) or an aura effect to it, but nothin light, better a darker gleam/glow effect. For the empty soulgems you can also use a aura effect, like if it's reaching for something.

But in the end it's all a matter of taste! :D

v1.7 should be done within a couple of days depending on where I draw the line for a new release. The Riften HQ textures are already implemented since a couple of days ago. I will have a look at those other texture packs. Thanks!

EDIT: Just to let you know I've made an overhaul of the ore and ingots as well, which is now a customized combination of Super Realistic Ore Textures and HD Ore and Ingots. I still did not use Maker's Mark because I quite frankly don't like it since it uses vanilla textures.

Yes, just keep in mind that v1.7 is still WIP, but what is completed so far:

v1.7 (WIP)

- Added support to combine Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack.

- Added support to combine Designs of the Nords.

- Added support to combine Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD (with booze).

- Added support to combine Riften HQ Textures.

- Added support to combine Silly Level of Detail - Potions and Poisons.

- Added support to combine Snow and Rocks Textures HD (caves only).

- Added support to combine Super Realistic Ore Textures.

- All ore and ingots had an overhaul and you should find them a lot more varied and appealing.

I would've posted this in the Step 2.2 Beta thread, but I don't have access. Boo. :(