The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

I just resolved an issue with my NVIDIA Inspector settings - I am not using ENB, and I had Ambient Occlusion set to Performance and Enabled (it actually should have been Performance and 0x00000001 originally).  I switched it to Off and Disabled and the result was that it fixed a strange issue I was having with dark lines of the edges of objects that were behind mist.  Could it "POSSIBLY" have also been causing the issue I was seeing with the Giant Fire?  If so, I can retest with the altered settings.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I have duplicated oqhansoloqo's installation- and load-order and the effect is plain to see:

(Secundas Kiss)

Posted Image

I have a couple of suspects for this LSD-blast - but I will enjoy the real sun first. :)

Btw, oqhansoloqo, ELFX overwrites a file from Animated Clutter in your installation order ("wrskyforge01.nif"). You might want to hide the overwriting file to enjoy the animation effect.

ADDED: Wait, the installation-order needs to be changed anyway.

Edited by thommaal

Thommal - yes, that fire blast is what happens to me.  Also though, are you still saying that wrskyforge01.nif gets overwritten, or possibly not now (with the installation order needing to be changed)?  In Mod Organizer I see no overwriting files/mods when I take a look at Animated Clutter conflicts.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

If "Enhanced Lights and FX" is still beneath "Animated Clutter" in the mod-installation-window on the left, the mentioned file should be overwritten. Otherwise, it's fine.

Its path is:

Animated cluttermeshesarchitecturewhiterunwrterrainwrskyforge01.nif

It's already clear, why you had no success in isolating the culprit for the blast-effect. It's added to any save-file made with your mod-list. I had to go back to my STEP-profile and load an earlier, still untouched save to see a normal fire again. So, deactivating mods won't help you -- unless you have a pure STEP-save.

At least, I know now for sure that the problem is hidden within your added mods. So, I am going to start deactivating. Let's see what happens ..

ADDED:

I loaded an infected save to see if Guldun Rock showed a normal fire in my duplication of your mod-list - and it does. So, it looks like the problem manifests itself the same way on both machines.

If I solve the problem here, you have a good chance to get rid of the problem too -- but you might not be able to use any save made with the responsible mod. I have already tried to get rid of the effect with the save cleaner. Didn't work. But it's too early to say anything for sure.

Edited by thommaal
  • +1 1

I know what the confusion is - you may be thinking that I use ELFX for exteriors, but I don't.  I don't use ELFX for exteriors at all - I deleted the ELFX Exterior files (both loose files and esp) from my installation so that I could use RLO Exteriors, RLO Weathers, and Lanterns of Skyrim (with RLO Patch) instead.  That's why I labeled all those mods the way I did in my Mod list.  (ie - "(SE + Custom) Realistic Lighting Overhaul - Exteriors + Weathers Only" and "(SE + Custom) Enhanced Lights and FX - Interiors Only")  The "SE + Custom" part of the naming convention basically means "STEP Extended plus custom mod" - I put that in to specify that the MO profile using the mod is my custom profile based off of STEP Extended.

About the mod causing the giant fire blast issue - I guess I'd have to create a brand new game then if I wanted to fix that since my current mod list was created before I started my current play through.  Let us know which mod it is when you figure it out though, because it sounds like it's one that some other people commonly use.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

oqhansoloqo, instead of solving the mystery of the psychedelic bonfire, I did what only the lazy detectives in the movies do: I went out.But my carelessness in the case of the missing nif is one of those cautionary tales that might help someone avoid the same stupidity.I actually did realize - belatedly - that you did not use the ELFX exteriors file. But instead of re-installing the Mod immediately, I thoughtlessly swapped the superfluous esp into the optional folder and forgot about it.And that's so stupid that I should be banned from using MO if I were to repeat that mistake again.Options often don't just install an esp, they also add other files -- and those files don't disappear by deactivating the associated esp. They stay active and can easily lead to conflicts that are not apparent by looking at the installation- or load-order.The optional folder is a nice short-cut but also a dubious one.

I'm not following the part about the "optional folder".

But yes - a few of my mod installations were slightly altered/customized by me so that they achieve a more harmonious co-existence (lol), which cannot be seen by just looking at the list of names of mods installed, or plugin (.esp) load order list.  The ELFX/RLO example is probably a decent example of that, except in that case I described that modification in the name of the mod in the mod list.  Others may not be as apparent.  Though I have to say that I didn't go crazy with that sort of thing either, so what you get from reading my mod list and plugin list should be fairly accurate (I think).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Oh no, I made a mistake, you did not. I wasn't criticising you, not at all. I just wanted to share the reason for the conflict that was only present on my side. I didn't follow good practice in this case and it showed. When only esps are installed, the optional esp-folder is a quick way to get rid of the unnecessary ones -- but t's never a good idea to use it when other files were installed that are associated with the deactivated esp. I really don't know why I did that.

The problem is the interaction of Dynamic Fires ("dynamic fires.esp") and SDO's Giant Camp Fire module. I hadn't installed Dynamic Fires before but added it when I duplicated your mod list. I switched both mods around in the installation- and load-order but to no avail, so far. They don't work well together.

Since this is relevant for the STEP 2.2.9 mod list, I hope some more players test it to confirm the conflict between those two mods.

And the mod authors might be interested to hear about this through STEP.

Edited by thommaal

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody who has framerate issues with this mod try lowering their blocklevel settings ? I get up to 10 more fps (from about 28-35 to around 35-42 most of the time) using fBlockLevel1Distance=33000 and fBlockLevel0Distance=25000 for instance (or fBlockLevel1Distance=40000 and fBlockLevel0Distance=20000, about the same) than with the default ultra settings (fBlockLevel1Distance=70000 and fBlockLevel0Distance=35000). The visual difference is noticeable, but it still looks a hundred times better than vanilla at fBlockLevel1Distance=70000 and fBlockLevel0Distance=35000. (tested all of this above Solitude Docks, obviously looking towards the plains/mountains, didn't take screenshots or anything, but if someone is really interested in that, I could take some...)

Edited by crime_syndicate