The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

I looked at SDO in TES5Edit to search for conflicts. SDO's effect on the camp fire at Guldun Rock is "overwritten" by Immersive Creatures in my LO and if you used BOSS, it should be the same for you.

That explains why Guldun Rock looks normal in your game in contrast to other camp fires.

It doesn't explain, why I don't have any problem. But I'm currently setting up a STEP load order; maybe I'll encounter the same problem.

Edited by thommaal

thommaal - But no wait, it doesn't explain why Guldun Rock looked OK for me.  When I re-installed SDO I did not use BOSS, so it placed the esps at the end of my load order.  So they would have overwritten Immersive Creatures' esps (according to what you just said about the mods).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

thommaal - But no wait, it doesn't explain why Guldun Rock looked OK for me.  When I re-installed SDO I did not use BOSS, so it placed the esps at the end of my load order.  So they would have overwritten Immersive Creatures' esps (according to what you just said about the mods).

Ok, let's look for a solution systematically.

1. Have you cleaned up SDO in TES5Edit?

If not, do so, please.

2. Have you already tried to change your installation- and load-order?

Even though SRLE has quite a different mod list, you could use it as an order-template for the mods that are either identical or fulfil a similar function in your STEP-list.

In MO: Add a new profile deriving from your current one and manually drag and drop your mods within the left window into their adapted priorities.

Then use BOSS to sort the esps automatically within the right window.

Wrye Bash in MO: If you use a bash file, I hope, you made a new one when you changed your mod list. Better to make a fresh one now for your new profile.

I know, I'm stating the obvious, but don't stash it or any other files in overwrite. That folder should be emptied and its content added as properly named mods to each specific mod list under profiles. [i hope you won't mind if I repeat those banalities - sometimes I forget to do the blatantly obvious, and you might have done the same on occasion.]

Then you should be ready to take another look.

3. In case you use MO, your present installation order might still have taken care of overwrite-priorities. But as long as we haven't looked into your load order through TES5Edit, it's all guess-work.

If you don't know how to look for conflicts, a youtube-video by the author of the tool was published some time ago.

When you follow the guide and go to SDO, you'll see its conflicts.

Meh, tested this out some more and I'm dropping more like 15fps when I change looking directions in Whiterun outskirts. I actually get better performance than that on ugridstoload=9...

But given the impact on quest progress of higher ugrids, I don't think this is an alternative at all.

Enhanced Distant Terrain 2, High Quality LODs, SkyFalls and SkyMills plus SDO improve the wider field considerably without breaking immersion.

Btw, I haven't installed the waterfall-module of SDO. Maybe you could try again without it?

Edited by thommaal

1. Yes - did that originally (forget if I did that again when I reinstalled or not though).

2. This is starting to sound like a pain to do (matching it up to SRLE) - I didn't do this and not planning on it.  However I do carefully order my esps according to recommendations though.  Some esps do not conflict and I just leave those custom ones (non-STEP mods) at the end of my mod order.  I always make bashed patches every time my mod list changes in any way, otherwise I'll probably get a CTD on startup.  Overwrite is always clean since I follow STEP instructions to make bashed patch and DSR output file.

3. Ooh, TES5EDIT scares me somewhat and while I do use it some on a few things I try to stay away from it when possible, since I do not understand all of its functions.  I might be able to assist with this if you really need me to (and spend a while researching the functions of TES5EDIT further, etc.), but it looks like other people are having these issues as well - people who seem to know the workings of the game and editing tools much better than I. 

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I leave stuff in overwrite all the time, apart from possibly causing problems between profiles in MO (for example: the bash patch and reproccer files are going to be different between different load-orders between profiles), what other problems can it cause, as long as you are aware that the files left in the overwrite will overwrite any changes elsewhere?

Edited by Garfink

I am not aware of any problems with the overwrite folder itself at present. It's simply good practice to add the contents as mods into the appropriate profile. If you only have one profile, it doesn't matter - but why should you?

I have 1) a vanilla profile that contains only the DDSopted textures from the Skyrim+DLCs bsas and inis with basic adaptations to my system.

2) A STEP-profile that builds upon the vanilla profile, adds the pack-mods and includes adapted inis for use with ENBoost.

3) A STEP-plus profile that adds mods I like and adapts the inis further.

4) Currently, I am adding a STEP 2.2.9 profile to look for some oddities that others have reported and I didn't encounter in any of my profiles.

5) A Basic ENB-profile that builds upon vanilla and includes all adaptations for the use of, well, ENB, of course.

Unfortunately, MO doesn't hide installed mods in the left window if you don't use them in a profile. So, I have added a second MO-installation to add STEP-clutterfree a) vanilla, b) SRLE and (in progress) c) SRLEREGS profiles [both MOs share the same download-folder though.] 

In both installations of MO, the use of the overwrite-folder can only be temporary, otherwise I'd soon run into problems.

I leave stuff in overwrite all the time, apart from possibly causing problems between profiles in MO (for example: the bash patch and reproccer files are going to be different between different load-orders between profiles), what other problems can it cause, as long as you are aware that the files left in the overwrite will overwrite any changes elsewhere?

I noticed the CK (and sometimes TES5Edit) doesn't really like it when you open files that in the overwrite folder.

Never use CK so that's probably why I have not had a problem.   No problem with TesVEdit.  

I usually am working on a single profile at a time and rarely go back to an old one.  Its tough enough to get one working correctly!

Yeah, I started off creating a STEP Core profile, then copied it to create a STEP Extended profile.  Following that I started adding custom mods outside of STEP as well as STEP 2.2.9 mods, so I created a third profile for that.  I never go back to the old profiles because they wouldn't work right unless I reworked them a bit anyway, as even STEP 2.2.8 got modified after coming out and new versions of mods came out to replace old ones and I made ini tweaks, etc... I didn't update each of my profiles every time I modified core or extended files in MO.  It would have been too much work to do so.  I just stuck with updating my current profile, which includes all the mods I want to play with.

Okay, I finished the STEP 2.2.8/9 profiles with SDO and all Giant Camp Fires are perfectly normal.

I used my already cleaned SDO-files but didn't put any effort at all in optimizing installation- or load-order: it's simply a STEP/BOSS-build. 

[spoiler=Load Order]Skyrim.esmUpdate.esmUnofficial Skyrim Patch.espDawnguard.esmUnofficial Dawnguard Patch.espHearthFires.esmUnofficial Hearthfire Patch.espDragonborn.esmUnofficial Dragonborn Patch.espSkyrim Project Optimization - No Homes - Full Version.esmLanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esmHighResTexturePack01.espHighResTexturePack02.espHighResTexturePack03.espBrawl Bugs CE.espUnofficial High Resolution Patch.espWeapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.espClothing & Clutter Fixes.espADS.espAOS.espAOS2_DGDB Patch.espBWS.espIHSS.espImproved Combat Sounds v2.2.espCutting Room Floor.espStaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.espStaticMeshImprovementMod-FurnitureChestSnowFix.espTradeBarter.esp83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.espAuto Unequip Ammo.espBring Out Your Dead.espClamsDropPearls.espDead Body Collision.espDisease Descriptions.espDD_Dawnguard Additions.espDD_Dragonborn Additions.espDual Sheath Redux.espfFastTravelSpeedMult_4.espMoss Rocks.espMoss Rocks_DB.espORM-Arvak.espPilgrimsDelight.espPoint The Way.espSDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.espSDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Complete.espSDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.espSkyrim Flora Overhaul.espSkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.espTraps Make Noise.espWetandCold.espWetandCold - Ashes.espFootprints.espFootprints - Ash.espNoxUE2.00.espRaceMenu.espRaceMenuPlugin.espSkyUI.espiHUD.espElemental Staves.espImproved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.espimp_helm_imp.espimp_guard_helm.espComplete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.espLock Overhaul.espGildergreen Regrown.espRun For Your Lives.espWhen Vampires Attack.espThe Paarthurnax Dilemma.espSkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.espAppropriately Attired Jarls Redux.espDiversePriests.espDiversePriests_BringOutYourDeadPatch.espGuard Dialogue Overhaul.espParalyze.espSkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.espSoul Gems Differ - E.espTheChoiceIsYours.espTheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.espThieves Guild Requirements.espaMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.espaMidianBorn_ContentAddon.espHearthfireChimneys.espBFSEffects.espDeadlySpellImpacts.espdD-No Spinning Death Animation.espBeards.espBrows.espSPTConsistentOlderPeople.espNonEssentialChildren.espdD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.espDawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.espRealisticWaterTwo.espRealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.espDiversePriests_ConsistentOlderPeoplePatch.espCCO_WAFTrueWeapons_Patch.espSTEP Core Patch.espBashed Patch, 0.espDual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

Something is amiss in your installation, oqhansoloqo.

Btw, I had forgotten how appalling Skyrim looks without further modification.

Edited by thommaal