The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

Here is the Morthal Swamp Compares:

No SDO >> SDO no ESPs >> SDO with ESPs (Lite) >> SDO with ESPs (Complete)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The Morthal Swamp option mainly adds a lot of NeverFade flags to trees. This means these trees are loaded into the game whenever you're looking in their direction whether you can see them or not.

Basically, with only the meshes (no ESP active) you'll get more LOD objects and a better quality image. With the ESP active, you'll have all the trees loaded as well.

Here are the Whiterun Tundra compares:

No SDO >> SDO no ESPs >> SDO with ESPs

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The Whiterun Tundra optional mainly adds NeverFade flags to the creaks. This means the creaks in the tundra will be loaded whenever you're looking in their direction whether you can see them or not.

The result is the same as above. With only the meshes you get some added LOD objects. With the ESP, you'll have the smaller creaks loaded in. I'm not sure I believe having the creaks loaded in are worth it. It's very hard to see them when you're running around on the ground. I even had a hard time finding a spot to see them from up high.

The other two ESPs have the same result as the above; however, the performance hitter is coming from the Morthal Swamp ESP. With that one ESP deactivated and the other three still active, I get lil to no performance drop (GTX 760). With this new information, I'm going to change the STEP recommendations. I need to look at the FOMOD first though so stay tuned.

Another real killer is looking in the direction of some of the ruins, like Bleak Falls Barrow.  Got any ideas for that?

Using no Swamps options, my performance is normal (55-60FPS) even when looking at ruins. Using the Lite option, I only get around a 10FPS drop (~50FPS). So following the new recommendations should work for most users (install all options, skip the swamps unless your system can handle it).

Then why not make it a step core mod, too. With different installation instructions of course.

We probably could with just a mesh and texture install. I would need to see more performance information on lower grade graphic cards with the new STEP recommendations before those could be considered for Core. I have a fairly high-end card (GTX 760 4GB) so I can't claim my performance would be the same for others with the new recommendations. Personally, I don't have any performance difference between no mod and the new recommendation. Only the Morthal Swamp options affect my performance.

Do you use any ENB?

We probably could with just a mesh and texture install. I would need to see more performance information on lower grade graphic cards with the new STEP recommendations before those could be considered for Core. I have a fairly high-end card (GTX 760 4GB) so I can't claim my performance would be the same for others with the new recommendations. Personally, I don't have any performance difference between no mod and the new recommendation. Only the Morthal Swamp options affect my performance.

Do you use an ENB?

Oh, and have you tried without ANY .esp, just meshes and textures?

Edit: Nevermind, I just have to read the posts :confused:

Edited by plaGGy

Anyone else have crash issues with this mod?

I installed all of STEP, no other mods..it was working then randomly it just stopped.  When I would either COC into certain locations outdoors it would lock up OR try to load saves in those locations and it would lock up.

Thought it must have been some conflict or other mod but never could sort it.  I enabled one mod at a time (very time consuming) and it never crashed except when SDO was installed.  Unchecked SDO and have played flawlessly since.

And ideas?