The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

I changed the STEP recommendations on this mod a week ago or so. Re-check the mod page to make sure you have the new recommended setup. issues should be minimized if you skip the Morthal Swamps; however, I'm on a fairly good rig so it would be nice if some users could post some performance data with the new recommendations. If you have any performance loss and if so, how much.

I changed the STEP recommendations on this mod a week ago or so. Re-check the mod page to make sure you have the new recommended setup. issues should be minimized if you skip the Morthal Swamps; however, I'm on a fairly good rig so it would be nice if some users could post some performance data with the new recommendations. If you have any performance loss and if so, how much.

Yeah I used the guide just recently so I didn't install any of the swamp options.  But for some reason even still I started getting infinite load screens when I would leave an interior cell. Or just go to specific locations like BleakFalls..no clue why.  It worked fine..then just stopped without any mod changes.  Removing the mod was the only fix..even a new game didn't fix it...so not sure what happened.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 Mobo

i7 4790k

GTX 780

Corsair Vengeance 8gb DD3

2x Samsung 840 250Gb SSDWindows 7 64 Bit

So my rig is decent too.

Personally I'm not going to use this mod for a bit. I'm just hoping Sheson can keep working at his LOD generator.

Had to do the same.  I really like it but couldn't figure out why it was causing CTD.

Yeah I used the guide just recently so I didn't install any of the swamp options.  But for some reason even still I started getting infinite load screens when I would leave an interior cell. Or just go to specific locations like BleakFalls..no clue why.  It worked fine..then just stopped without any mod changes.  Removing the mod was the only fix..even a new game didn't fix it...so not sure what happened.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 Mobo

i7 4790k

GTX 780

Corsair Vengeance 8gb DD3

2x Samsung 840 250Gb SSDWindows 7 64 Bit

So my rig is decent too.

Are you using all the items in Section C of the Guide? Infinite Loading Screens have pretty much been eliminated with the new tools (Stable uGrids, SKSE memory fix, ENBoost).

Are you using all the items in Section C of the Guide? Infinite Loading Screens have pretty much been eliminated with the new tools (Stable uGrids, SKSE memory fix, ENBoost).

I use Mod Organizer, LOOT, TES5EDIT.  I have not used DDsopt but I use Ordenador (or will when I get done installing all my mods)

I use SKSE (with Mem boost in it) and ENBoost (actually I use a full ENB now..but before last night was using only ENBoost)

I don't use Stable uGrids because I don't edit my uGrids at all, and I haven't ever used Wyre Bash (have to read up on Bash tags, no c lue what they are or do)

The infinite loading screens I tended to have when installing and removing mods which I heard was normal..but with SDO..it happened and I couldn't solve it with new game or anything...would get infinite loading (Skyrim stopped responding) any time I loaded a game with SDO checked in MO.  I don't have issues right now just playing the game...when not messing with mods.  If I just play the game it tends to run fine, no issues.

The loading happened after I finished all of STEP..was moving on to my own mods (Climates, ELFX etc) and at some point it wouldn't load saves anymore or certain areas (even from a new game)..I disabled all my mods and added them in sections of 5 at a time til I narrowed it down to SDO..and it was SDO...definitely..check SDO, infinite loading, uncheck, loads fine.

I think tonight after work I might reset my LOOT rules and my load order and let it default back to normal then re go through ust the detailed portions of STEP to set Load rules and make sure that MO's FIX thing didn't mess my order up..I know one thing out of order can cause crashes.

Edited by NewYears1978

I use Mod Organizer, LOOT, TES5EDIT.  I have not used DDsopt but I use Ordenador (or will when I get done installing all my mods)

I use SKSE (with Mem boost in it) and ENBoost (actually I use a full ENB now..but before last night was using only ENBoost)

I don't use Stable uGrids because I don't edit my uGrids at all, and I haven't ever used Wyre Bash (have to read up on Bash tags, no c lue what they are or do)

The infinite loading screens I tended to have when installing and removing mods which I heard was normal..but with SDO..it happened and I couldn't solve it with new game or anything...would get infinite loading (Skyrim stopped responding) any time I loaded a game with SDO checked in MO.  I don't have issues right now just playing the game...when not messing with mods.  If I just play the game it tends to run fine, no issues.

The loading happened after I finished all of STEP..was moving on to my own mods (Climates, ELFX etc) and at some point it wouldn't load saves anymore or certain areas (even from a new game)..I disabled all my mods and added them in sections of 5 at a time til I narrowed it down to SDO..and it was SDO...definitely..check SDO, infinite loading, uncheck, loads fine.

I think tonight after work I might reset my LOOT rules and my load order and let it default back to normal then re go through ust the detailed portions of STEP to set Load rules and make sure that MO's FIX thing didn't mess my order up..I know one thing out of order can cause crashes.

Stable uGrids is a Core mod for a reason. Regardless if you change your uGrids, it will still work its magic and provide a more stable game. You should install it and try SDO again to see if your ILS issues are gone. You should also note that it's going to take longer than normal to load so leave the loading screen up of a few minutes. Mine has taken up to 5 minutes before...this is partly an MO thing as well as the mods used and the source your files are loading from (I have a HDD not a SSD so it takes longer).

WB is also a Core program as well as the resulting Bash Patch that results from using it. It take 3 mins to run via MO once you understand how it works and how to run it. (It's not difficult)

Stable uGrids is a Core mod for a reason. Regardless if you change your uGrids, it will still work its magic and provide a more stable game. You should install it and try SDO again to see if your ILS issues are gone. You should also note that it's going to take longer than normal to load so leave the loading screen up of a few minutes. Mine has taken up to 5 minutes before...this is partly an MO thing as well as the mods used and the source your files are loading from (I have a HDD not a SSD so it takes longer).

WB is also a Core program as well as the resulting Bash Patch that results from using it. It take 3 mins to run via MO once you understand how it works and how to run it. (It's not difficult)

Ahh I didn't know that!

I will install it thanks for the tip.

I never understood Bash either and never saw in STEP where I needed to run it, maybe I overlooked it, I will check into that also!  I guess I thought WB was an installer similar to NMM or MO and that I didn't need it as well.  The guides that I read don't talk about using WB with MO...is there a specific place to read how to use it with MO? (Edit: I see the detailed portion regarding MO and WB now, I will try this tonight)

I don't see anywhere how to actually use it. I see the WB guide but I don't know which portions I should be running for my MO Step install.  Is it just the bashed patch portion that I am wanting to run?

Edited by NewYears1978

You're just using WB for the Bash Patch and that is all. Install it, set it up in MO just like you have done with TES5edit and the other executables, run it via MO, right click on Bash Patch (at the bottom) and click Rebuild Patch. Just follow the directions on the Batch Patch mod page in Section N of the Guide. Super simple.

You're just using WB for the Bash Patch and that is all. Install it, set it up in MO just like you have done with TES5edit and the other executables, run it via MO, right click on Bash Patch (at the bottom) and click Rebuild Patch. Just follow the directions on the Batch Patch mod page in Section N of the Guide. Super simple.

Gotcha, thanks for the tips, I am going to try that tonight and also Stable uGrids.  Will recheck my Load order too since I used that goofy FIX button in MO.

Thanks for the help!

Ouch...don't use that Fix button! We've personally checked the Potential Mod Order Problem warnings that MO spits out. They are not an issue with STEP. That feature is still in beta and could use some improvements anyway, but we're not going to bring that up with Tannin just yet since he just recently fixed one major issue.

Ouch...don't use that Fix button! We've personally checked the Potential Mod Order Problem warnings that MO spits out. They are not an issue with STEP. That feature is still in beta and could use some improvements anyway, but we're not going to bring that up with Tannin just yet since he just recently fixed one major issue.

Yah I didn't know that til today when I was told here.  It may have been what caused my game to act up too.  I mean it's running fine without SDO right now..I might have to NOT use SDO anyways due to FPS loss...since I have 200+ mods and I use ENB as well.

I mostly get 60 FPS though on my rig even as such..except during weather or in rough spots (Markarth, Whiterun top, etc)

I am OCD and sensitive eyes though so trying to tweak for best visual experience AND best performance :)

Regardless if you change your uGrids, it will still work its magic and provide a more stable game.

Are you sure about that? How does it provide any additional stability? Is there any proof for that?

There's not a single word about that from the author.

Edited by Octopuss

Are you sure about that? How does it provide any additional stability? Is there any proof for that?There's not a single word about that from the author.

The author mentioned that one of the problems with the vanilla ugrids settings is that they get into your save games. Also there was a recursion bug in the code. If you never mess with the setting it will never really affect you, but why add one more error to your save games? Even if it is harmless.

Well I installed Stable uGrids, and did the Bash Patch..but I still Crash (infinite loading) when I have SDO installed.

Even start a new game..I am fine until I exit the cave then infinite loading..

Further testing, disabling the 3 optional ESP files it still doesn't load so the problem is not in those.

I think I figured it out, when I load Skyrim HD textures AND SDO..I crash..that's not a STEP mod I added that in AFTER I had finished with STEP but I put it up with my STEP mods..so..something conflicting there??????

Edited by NewYears1978