The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

Woops, read that wrong ... however, as Torm stated (and me as well), thsi mod mostly applies to those that can launch with max distance detail settings ... and I am not sure by Torm's post if his frame hit is due to distance settings or this mod. Need clarification.

Also, the minimum recommended system is better than Torm's laptop I think, and that is what matters most. Additionally, we need to bump up the min system I think. Otherwise, we hamstring STEP:Core for everyone ... and the average user system improves over time. Min system should be only a small step down from the average gamer system as of today (anyone have those stats?). I am thinking i3 quad core (or AMD equivalent) should be min as of 2.2.9.

We will be identifying mods for a "performance" install for those running dinosaur systems, but that is not the priority.

I needed to lower the distance settings with only STEP extended already , to get a rather good FPS. However, the only thing I changed in between the two testing runs, was to add SDO with all full settings in it's installer. Didn't change any ini settings. I didn't get any visible difference by adding SDO, but I did get that massive FPS drop. Probably because of the objects being force-loaded but still not rendered because of my distance settings.

OK, that is good to know. Obviously, this mod has a performance impact that increases quickly as the system decreases. Ideally, we would have someone test it on the current STEP min system to be sure.

This mod does add a ton to the game though without need to use uGrids.

I agree with this being Core and raising the minimum system requirements a bit. Will have to research the average for each requirement. I can do that later this weekend if no one beats me to it. The performance impact over the gain is completely acceptable for the average system, IMO. I only lose 2-4 FPS with this mod active. For now, marking this as a performance-heavy mod as DoubleYou suggest is more than efficient. Users that have older systems can choose to  skip the mod as long as it's not included in the STEP:Core Patch.

I'm having a strange "atomic bomb"-looking giant fire (a big glowing ball where the fire should be) near Whiterun (don't know if all giant fires look like that in my game but I assume that are all doing it).  I installed the main esp and the 4 optionals.  When looking at the atomic bomb giant fire I get pretty large FPS drops.  I do have some extra mods in addition to STEP Extended.  Perhaps it's an incompatibility with RLO?  That's the only mod I can think of outside of STEP that might affect the lighting of the fire and cause a strange effect on it.

Anyway, I disabled the giant fire optional esp and the problem is no longer there - I guess my giant fires just don't flicker now when far away.  Doesn't bother me.  The FPS drop when looking at the normal-looking giant fire has gone away it seems.

EDIT: and I cleaned the esps too, btw.  after getting the problem I tried the non-clean version of the esp file and that was messed up also.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I don't know about you guys, but for me, I ran a comparison of my FPS with SDO and without it.  It drops my FPS from about 60 to about 30.  That's pretty bad.  It makes a lot of the distant details pretty, but kills the gameplay.  And some people said they were getting only 2-4 FPS drop?  Here's my computer: Intel I7 950 (3.07GHz), 8 GB RAM, 64-bit Win 7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB VRAM (EVGA FTW), 1080p resolution.  My setup is pretty good...

Edited by oqhansoloqo