The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

• 1 month later...

Updated OP.

I say there is no reason NOT to add this mod into STEP. I get no FPS loss; however, I'm on a system with the latest generation of hardware. Taking that into account, I'd like someone who is NOT running the latest generation of hardware to do the same test I did in the OP.

Install SDO with all options and use the heaviest Full options. Run FRAPS and benchmark a run through the swamps without this and then again with this mod and post your two benches. These swamps on one of the, if not the most graphical intensive area in Skyrim is it should provide the most extreme case of what SDO is going to do in terms of performance loss.

I am a big fan as well. It should be Core, but not until we determine the performance cost (just genarally). We need to know if this mod in particular is a deal breaker in and of itself ...

We need to ask DoubleYou to test for us ... he is on an old and crusty box.

I am a big fan as well. It should be Core, but not until we determine the performance cost (just genarally). We need to know if this mod in particular is a deal breaker in and of itself ...

We need to ask DoubleYou to test for us ... he is on an old and crusty box.

I updated the OP. After using in-gmae for a while it would seem that the general performance impact on my system is 2-4FPS. This is acceptable, IMO, when compared to what is gained by using the mod. My system specs should be noted so see my signature for those.

I can try to run this on my laptop. However it might be noted that I am already down to 30-35 fps on core and 20-30 fps on extended in most ressource heavy areas.

Can you still do this? The only way of testing out low performance on my end is to disconnect my video card and only use the 4600 on my Core i5...which would be extreme low end and basically unplayable according to NotebookCheck.net.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys,

I did a test with STEP Extended with/without SDO with full options just like I was asked to test.

Since I cannot run Skyrim with STEP Extended with a the Ultra Preset from Skyrim Launcher, but have to tweak down distant detail and some visibility parameters, I didn't really benefit from the mod.

TEST:

FPS Morthal Swamp area from mountain looking down.

STEP Extended without SDO: FPS 35 Average, not moving camera, down to 29 with camera movement.

STEP Extended with SDO: FPS 16.5 Average, not moving camera, down to 12 with camera movement.

So at least on my laptop this mod is a dealbreaker.

I'd say the 2-4 FPS loss is pretty consistent. I get about the same on my system.

Let's accept this one for Core ... it is a no-brainer, IMO.

caveat: This mod mainly benefits those that are using ultra detail distance settings in the launcher settings. Not necessarily max distances, but probably max detail.