The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

Some places do take quite extreme performance hits though - for example, go have a look up at Bleak Falls Barrow, even from pretty far away...  Those particularly bad performance hits are why I don't use this mod.  There are plenty of places that don't take much of a performance hit though and look a lot better with the mod.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Some places do take quite extreme performance hits though - for example, go have a look up at Bleak Falls Barrow, even from pretty far away...  Those particularly bad performance hits are why I don't use this mod.  There are plenty of places that don't take much of a performance hit though and look a lot better with the mod.

This is an interesting issue. Look here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5011-beta-dynamic-distant-objects-lod/?p=80996

With none of the ESPs active in that area framerate returns to normal; however, there was no quality loss. I'll have to take a look to see what exactly those ESPs are doing because they're not affecting that area visually, but yet tanking the framerate.

• 1 month later...

Does it matter where this mod is INSTALLED or where we put the esps in the LOAD order? It shouldn't conflict with anything, right?

I think they are okay except the Water Effects esp, which goes after RWT.

Also, was the framerate problem ever solved?

Probably, not. We don't really have the staff to do the whole STEP Extreme stuff, so this is just Extended because of performance issues.

No imo the FPS problem is still there.

I drop about 10-15 FPS when looking into certain directions without even using an ENB on a fairly good system (7970 with 10% OC and 2500k at 4,2 GHZ with 8gb Ram)

I will do some more testing with different version, but after using both "Morthal Swamp completed" and no Morthal swamp at all, the drops are still there.

A good place to test is either if you are standing in front of the southern gate in Riverwood and look at the mill in direction of Whiterun. About 50 FPS with mod and 60 rock solid without it.

The FPS drop is not an actual issue. It's just a result of using the mod because it's very heavy on performance. It's nothing that can be "fixed" as a bug would be. I do want to do some more testing with this mod though. Several posts back I posted a few shots. one had the ESPs disabled while still using the assets. This brought performance back to normal without changing anything within the scene itself...so I would really like to know what exactly the ESPs are doing if they're not loading things in the scenes at all times.