Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Hey folks, I've been running this pack for a few days now with absolutely no major problems. However, it seems that about after 1.5 to 2 hours the menu screens take longer and longer to load. Like if I want to trade with someone or even just hit ESC to go the main menu it starts taking longer and longer. A restart of the game is necessary to fix it up. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this issue.

I should say that just today I installed that NVAC 6.5 beta and changed the setting like EssArrBee said to in the guide with yesterday's update. But not sure if it's related to that or not.

Pretty typical for a game with this much script overhead. Basically everything builds up and slows down the system. I noticed that have a lot less quests going on helps. Knock out few and try not to start any new ones.

EssArrBee - So far I've just gotten up to finishing installing the user interface mods portion of your guide.  Thank you SO MUCH for creating this guide.  I was trying to figure out how to install all those mods on my own and it just wasn't turning out good, but they all seem to be working perfectly when your guide is followed.  You picked a great name for the guide too, just because it's funny.  :)

Some things I already figured out and have installed in my setup that your guide doesn't seem to touch on:

Enhanced Shaders ENB - Unlike with Skyrim, perhaps because FNV is less graphically complex, I still seem to maintain about 60 FPS with my setup.  So, IOW, ENB seems more feasible with FNV.  Maybe some mention of ENB recommendations or guidance on how to install one, or something.  At the minimum, how to install ENBoost.  It also allows for a fake fullscreen mode even with just ENBoost.  For me it runs fine with FNV 4GB Loader.

SMAA - I got this idea from using this with Skyrim.  It goes along with the ENB installation process (or ENBoost)...

LOOT - So far I'm using this instead of BOSS.  I don't know if it is going to cause me headaches as I progress further through your guide, but for now it seem to be working.

LOOT - So far I'm using this instead of BOSS.  I don't know if it is going to cause me headaches as I progress further through your guide, but for now it seem to be working.

I didn't have any problems whatsoever using LOOT.

The guide is great.

The only problem I had with the guide was getting Roberts Male Body to not have the black bars. If you follow the guide strictly you'll end up with black bars on the male chests. After the installation of Roberts I had to go into FOMOD (start it up through MO) then uncheck and check the Archive Invalidation option under Tools. After that in MO then on the right untick all the bsa's under the Archive tab (these should include all of the original Fallout New Vegas bsa files). Load up the game (you'll get a black screen and a square cursor). Exit game. Go back to MO and recheck all the bsa's. Then should be good to go.

Edited by Vaportrails

There is a thread in the S&P sub forum about the black bars. It seems to work differently for some people than others. Unchecking and checking the archives seems to be the one that works for most. I actually just tick all of them and it works.

EssArrBee - So far I've just gotten up to finishing installing the user interface mods portion of your guide.  Thank you SO MUCH for creating this guide.  I was trying to figure out how to install all those mods on my own and it just wasn't turning out good, but they all seem to be working perfectly when your guide is followed.  You picked a great name for the guide too, just because it's funny.  :)

Some things I already figured out and have installed in my setup that your guide doesn't seem to touch on:

Enhanced Shaders ENB - Unlike with Skyrim, perhaps because FNV is less graphically complex, I still seem to maintain about 60 FPS with my setup.  So, IOW, ENB seems more feasible with FNV.  Maybe some mention of ENB recommendations or guidance on how to install one, or something.  At the minimum, how to install ENBoost.  It also allows for a fake fullscreen mode even with just ENBoost.  For me it runs fine with FNV 4GB Loader.

SMAA - I got this idea from using this with Skyrim.  It goes along with the ENB installation process (or ENBoost)...

I will probably do a small section on ENB with a page that links to some of the better profiles I've used over the last few months. I need to make sure that LOOT will not mess up the masters of some of the mods. FNV has plugins that have many masters, so I need to make sure they are sorted properly with LOOT. The focus of the LOOT team is probably not FNV, so I need make sure that masterlist updates get done.

I'll note one thing about LOOT: The massive masterlist updates I did for BOSS? Not converted over to LOOT yet. I'd imagine that someone should pay attention to the BOSS repo, as I'm way too busy really to convert the updates over for LOOT.

Actually, I am having a problem - Flashlight NVSE gives me this error message in the MCM: "Flashlight Version Error - There seems to be a problem with the HUD files.  If you are using iHUD, make sure you re-install FlashlightNVSE after activating iHUD."  This is the second time I am getting this again after re-installing the entire User Interface section of your mod list (the only reason I re-installed was specifically to correct this error).  I thought I perhaps goofed in following the instructions, but now that I re-installed and I'm getting the same error message, I don't think so.  I didn't get some of the messages you state in your guide that someone should be getting as certain mods are installed though.  For example, under the MCM mod instructions, you say "Mod Organizer can install this mod, but it will say that the mod is already installed, even if it is not. When asked click [Merge], then the installer will run and another pop-up will say the mod is installed, so click [Merge] again."  No such thing happened to me...  MO did not say that it was already installed and installed the MCM mod without any such messages.  FYI, I use MO v1.2.1 if that makes any difference to any of this.

And if I set a hotkey for the flashlight in the MCM and try to activate it in game using the hotkey, I hear a sound effect, but nothing else occurs.

Now that I think of it, everything you mentioned oqhansoloqo I had the same experience. The Flashlight thing doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. I did change it from a handheld to a headlamp and am still using the 'J' key as the toggle for it. But yes, I still get the pop up about iHUD on that.

The 2nd thing you mentioned I had the same experience as well. Shouldn't be an issue.

Actually, the flashlight does work.  I found out that it is an item you have to find first before using.  Once I found it, I could use the hotkey to activate it.  But I still have that MCM error message, which apparently may not actually be affecting anything besides being annoying in the Flashlight MCM settings.

OK, glad to know everything should be OK.  Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Oh, I thought it was 1.1.2 that had issues (says that in the guide).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

The guide mentions for NMCs Texture Pack for New Vegas mod:

"The large is mostly 2k and 4k textures, so to much for a heavily modded setup."  I thought the textures in this pack were all 2K (2048x2048).  That's what the mod author implies, though he does say "typically".  Once I get everything else installed in the guide, I will possibly switch to the Medium package if that's what you recommend.  I play at 1080p, so I thought 2K textures would be nearly perfect.

All of Neil's packs are a mix. He uses the resolution that makes everything fit best. Even the large texture pack has some 128x128 textures because nothing bigger is necessary.

With enboost you could try the large pack and see how it goes. Then switch back. Also, poco bueno is like 2k and 1k while Ono bueno is the 4k stuff.

So, if you want 2k-4k mix go with the large pack and 1k-2k mix go with the medium.

Actually, I am having a problem - Flashlight NVSE gives me this error message in the MCM: "Flashlight Version Error - There seems to be a problem with the HUD files.  If you are using iHUD, make sure you re-install FlashlightNVSE after activating iHUD."  This is the second time I am getting this again after re-installing the entire User Interface section of your mod list (the only reason I re-installed was specifically to correct this error).  I thought I perhaps goofed in following the instructions, but now that I re-installed and I'm getting the same error message, I don't think so.  I didn't get some of the messages you state in your guide that someone should be getting as certain mods are installed though.  For example, under the MCM mod instructions, you say "Mod Organizer can install this mod, but it will say that the mod is already installed, even if it is not. When asked click [Merge], then the installer will run and another pop-up will say the mod is installed, so click [Merge] again."  No such thing happened to me...  MO did not say that it was already installed and installed the MCM mod without any such messages.  FYI, I use MO v1.2.1 if that makes any difference to any of this.

And if I set a hotkey for the flashlight in the MCM and try to activate it in game using the hotkey, I hear a sound effect, but nothing else occurs.

Flashlight NVSE has been the mod that required mod focus than any other single mod and I have gone back and forth about emoving it and just waiting till the NCC installer is better. For some reason it is just such a pain in the butt. And, if you use it with ENB, it can really decrease performance for some reason. The way I laid it out in the guide is the way that gave me the best results, also, those install order and the directions I listed are extremely important because of the FOMM and MO file overwrites. FOMM will actually overwrite files that you have installed with MO even though MO itself was made so things like that can't happen. It is just a weird thing we have to deal with until Tannin finishes making the NNC installer 100% compatible. I recommend v1.1.1 in the guide or v1.1.2 with the NCC downgrade because that is the only way I tested it to work.

I took a long break from F&L for real life and my other STEP duties, but now that I'm back I'll keep testing beta version of MO to get the guide up to date. That is going to take some serious effort on my part and will probably not happen for a couple weeks. Plus, a new version of MO is around the corner, so I might weight till Tannin is done with new BSA management system.